Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brand new side glass availability
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Would anyone happen to know if brand new door glass is available anywhere?

Need to replace mine due to embedded grinder grit.

Good used is probably fine but brand new might be nice if available.

Thanks.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Don't know the answer to your question, as I've wondered about new side glass too. I would think a good glass shop could custom build them. It's a good reminder for the newbies (not you Neil) to cover the glass when grinding or welding. Flying sparks = damaged glass. Anyway, one thing you can do in the meantime is to take a very sharp brand new razor blade and knock down the high spots. It will at least help when cleaning the glass and it makes is look just a tad better until you can replace.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Any good local automotive glass shop can either order it up, or cut one for you.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Nothing new available, just did a nationwide search. At this point it would have to come from an obsolete supplier( more $ ) . you can not fabricate one as they are curved.
There are a lot of them used still out there. I would imagine that the
aftermarket will make them in time,but nothing now.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Now why did you say it can't be fabricated by a good house of glass?

Sorry you are very incorrect.
Curced ,Laminated ,automotive door, side, windsheild & rear window glass can be most certainly made at & by any prominent glass shop.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

i can make the glass tha TK is describing, its not too difficult if the template is accurate.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Let me know how it turns out. Me thinks Mr K and Mr no caps may eating their words here in the near future.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Why wouldn't it be able to be fabricated? If it was made once, it can be made again. It's not like it's some secret recipe, lol.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Have any cash you'd happen to like to dispense, disperse, let fly, lose, float outa your pocket, or bank account?

I'm in on this one. ---

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

i dont think that is the case mr speculation. ive made countless tempered,tempered laminate pieces for cars and also bent/curved glass that is laminated for not just cars but boats as well. i specialize in glass fabrication.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

I'm saying most all good automotive glazing places of business can do.
It's a normal, everyday happening.

I'm speculating that it can be done, and have had curved glass made for trucks, cars, boats, & heavy equipment.

I don't know where he gets his info.

Must be the internet.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Walk that door glass into a "Prominent" glass shop and tell me how much it would cost to have one made.
To make this fair, let's donate $50.00 to The Samba. If they can make you a one off Vanagon door glass , I'll gladly donate $50.00 to the Samba and use your GUY as I can never find any of my suppliers to make low volume curved tempered.
If YOUR guy can't make low volume curved tempered then you pay $50.00 to the Samba. Either way the Samba wins and one of us gets shamed.
Are you up for it? and mr No Caps can play if he wants as well. I've been wrong before, but I usually choose my battles.
So what do you say? To spell it out. The fabricated glass has to be curved and fit a Vanagon and just to set the bar, let's keep the cost cap at $400.00, at that number I can hit my obsolete distributors and find an NOS part. Sounds fair to me, care to take it on?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

I am with 16CV's making low volume curved/tinted/tempered glass to tight dimension is simply not economically viable. While Vanagons were one of the highest production runner of automobiles in the world, at this juncture, I would not be surprised no sane manufacturer want to touch it. Windshield is totally another matter. Tempered glass cannot be cut. The glass must be cut and finished before the tempering process is performed. This means ones and twos the shipping cost and handling will kill you.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

hahah dude i make a living curving glass. i dont have ' a guy' im the guy people go to get this done. im not interested in debating with you about something i do professionally,andim also not interested in betting you ,youd lose and it isnt worth the effort to prove some internet stranger wrong. also im not interested in developing the tooling that will cost far more than your 400 dolalr budeget before i even bend the first piece you have no clue what youre asking or talking about lol.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Thanks?

Sounds like good used will be the most likely option.

I had done some searching but wanted to check in here just to stir the proverbial pudding.

And yes, cover all glass thoroughly when grinding.
In my case, I knew I was replacing the windscreen but didn't notice I had hit the side windows with a few bits.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

tooling would be about $750- $1000 each piece bent would cost about 200 in materials and labor and the tempering is about $25 bux. once you do that then you can make them 'cheaper' want laminate too? that is another 150 bux. minimum order of 5 otherwise its not worth the time to do it.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Thanks?

Sounds like good used will be the most likely option.

I had done some searching but wanted to check in here just to stir the proverbial pudding.

And yes, cover all glass thoroughly when grinding.
In my case, I knew I was replacing the windscreen but didn't notice I had hit the side windows with a few bits.

Neil2

I think you should give Gowesty a call though they are in CA and you are in WA, or check frequently for parting out Vanagons.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

if its just a straight cut and lammy job that is different than curved.that is only about 100 bux tops. two pieces and ten minutes on the light table...
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

Monday.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new side glass availability Reply with quote

I have every idea what I am talking about, let's keep the facts straight. A Vanagon door glass is curved. Re Read what I am saying and review what Terry K said as well.
I know that you can bend glass, I have no doubt as I have had curved laminated glass made for Curio cabinets and other antiques.
Both you and TK said this can be easily and economically made
Quote OCS
"i can make the glass tha TK is describing, its not too difficult if the template is accurate."
Quote TK
Sorry you are very incorrect.
Curced ,Laminated ,automotive door, side, windsheild & rear window glass can be most certainly made at & by any prominent glass shop.
My challenge if you read it is to make it under $400.00 at that point I can look around and just find an Old stock part.
Quote MR Fiddlestix
" Why wouldn't it be able to be fabricated? If it was made once, it can be made again. It's not like it's some secret recipe, lol."
You are correct it was made originally ,but the costs to tool up for curved tempered in low production is too expensive.
If the glass was flat ,I could cut one myself in Laminated or cut one from annealed glass ,do the fabrication and edge work and send it for tempering.
In the case of the OP ,his best bet is to look for a good used,which I have plenty of, or hold out for an NOS ,either OE or aftermarket.
So Terry ,are you still open for a little bet to benefit the Samba? If this does not lock up this thread nothing will.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: