Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle Body Removal/How to
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Throttle Body Removal/How to Reply with quote

I have done the search, there seems to be more questions than answers, but does anyone have instructions on how to remove the throttle body? I checked the Bentley and it only has instructions on how to adjust components on the throttle body. More specifically how do you get the accelerator linkage/cable detached. I have a new one and would like to get installed today. Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
masmasmas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: throttle body removal Reply with quote

a bit late, but I am about to disco the throttle cable in order to removal the intake unit, no idea how. I was thinking removing the center nut of the unit with the bent washer in order to release the cable.
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's the main shaft of the throttle body, and you don't want to touch that.

The accelerator cable is a small (8mm) bolt close to the end of the cable.

I use a large pair of pliers or grips to hold the lower portion steady, and use a wrench to loosen the bolt head. Once it's loose, the cable can slip out.

Have you already removed the air filter box, AFM and S-Boot/elbow?

Another thing worth mentioning, you really should replace the throttle body gasket where it meets the air intake plenum. An old & tired gasket will probably leave you with a vacuum leak.
Socratic Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Body Removal/How to Reply with quote

Old thread, but I didn't come across this problem anywhere else. 10 years of engine dying/surging when cold, once it surges it runs fine. Got slowly worse over time. Several mechanics "fixed" it by replacing various sensors. Sometimes they even made it slightly better, for a short time. I adjusted the throttle switch several times, again made it slightly better, for a short time. Throttle control unit and idle control valve seemed OK.

I finally fixed the 10-year old problem a few days ago by installing a new Go Westy throttle body. In retrospect it was obvious, but it took me 10 years to work it out. $250-odd well spent. No more sitting at the the traffic lights trying to get the engine going, a line of enraged punters building up behind me.

Now I have a fast idle, 1,100 rpm (according to the instrument panel) with the idle adjustment screw all the way in. Thought about it...and realized the seal of throttle body to intake plenum must be leaking air. Did seem a bit loose when I installed it. Planning on sealing it with Permatex...until I searched it and found that I should have used a new throttle body to manifold gasket/seal. I'm a bit sore that Go Westy didn't fill me in on this one. Shouldn't the ($5) gasket be included with a $250-odd part? Or even mentioned in the accompanying installation instructions? Anyway, I expect a new one will fix the fast idle. I'll update this when installed, predictive strength is the hallmark of good science/engineering.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Body Removal/How to Reply with quote

Just mention it to GW, I'm sure they'll take the time to update the ad description if they know they can sell additional items. Smile
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Body Removal/How to Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/24718/gowesty-billet-aluminum-throttle-body-?v=

scroll down and read related parts. Gasket listed there. They should include it though.
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Body Removal/How to Reply with quote

If you're down on the coast over the weekend, you're welcome to stop by and we can connect up my redline smoke tester and test for leaks (un-metered air). It'll quickly confirm if there's any air getting past the old gasket or somewhere else. PM if you'd like to try a smoke test.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: