Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worry about bleeding with Front Heater Core? Bottom post-
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Curious- Whats up with that flooring, is that like a Vanagon specific mat or is that OEM flooring in some models?

It is a rubberized mat that some strippy models and trucks got from VW instead of carpet. I have one in my truck and I love how easy it is to clean mud off of. They have become desireable and they are usually pricey if you can find one.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagon_fan_again wrote:

Another thing that made me think it had been tampered with was the bigger heater tube coming off the left side to come out for the driverside hand vent had some sort of a sock(?) type material around it, stapled to it. Is this actually original or is it someone elses handy work?

And ragnarhairybreeks- Scary sight with the dash off isn't it? Curious- Whats up with that flooring, is that like a Vanagon specific mat or is that OEM flooring in some models? Either way, know where to get any more and cost? Looks nice.

As others have said, the sock is stock. I'll throw in my idea of "rattle reducer" as the function.

My pic of the dash off... was the 4th or maybe even the 5th time I've pulled a vanagon dash. Its a doddle getting it off, but I always get slowed down by the re-install. Its the wiring mainly, especially the stereo's rat's nest. I'll sound like a broken record when I say lubricate all you can in the pedal assembly.

Syncrodoka answered the mat question, I was lucky and found mine in a wrecked panel van. It is useful, I posted pics of it on my blog.
http://shufti.wordpress.com/2009/11/28/full-front-rubber-mat/

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
vanagon_fan_again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any input on the resistor before the blower motor?

And Ragnar- quite jealous. I'd kill to get rid of my grungy carpet and upgrade to something so clean and maintenance free. Nice find! Estimated price? (if I could actually find one for sale)
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagon_fan_again wrote:
Any input on the resistor before the blower motor?

And Ragnar- quite jealous. I'd kill to get rid of my grungy carpet and upgrade to something so clean and maintenance free. Nice find! Estimated price? (if I could actually find one for sale)

I broke the tabs off the resistor while trying to salvage it from an old heater box recently... (honestly officer, I wasn't pulling that hard)... don't do that.

One thing you could do is wire the switch so that position 3 (ie not going through resistor) is relayed. Might make the switch last longer.

I was very lucky finding the floor mat. The panel van had been in the yard for a while I think, and the front area was all piled up with parts etc. The mat looked like hell, I can't recall for sure how much I paid, but I'm thinking 30.
There was an ad here for one, over $100 I think, Wasn't Daizee interested in it?

Are you going to put a cap on the exposed bearing in the motor? tencentlife posted pics in a thread showing that.

cheers

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Afterwards, no bleeding needed, well none was needed in my 2.1. It purged itself of the air that was introduced by the empty core.

This wasn't the case today on my 1.9 following reinstalling the heater core following replacement of the blower fan. I went for a drive with the heater control still closed to get the system up to temperature then opened the heater control. The temperature gauge didn't increase but when I stopped and checked the level in the overflow tank it was full and water was coming out of the vent. The air in the heater must have been gone back to the pressure tank and pushed the water back to the overflow tank. I am comfident this is just air and not combustion gases because I only drove it for a very short time and it didn't overheat. But if i did this again I would do a full bleed rather than relying on the air escaping from the overflow tank which is the only place is can go when the rest of the system is sealed.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Worry about bleeding with Front Heater Core? Bottom post- Reply with quote

This is what you want to do on that resistor. I was underwhelmed to find that chunk of heat in that plastic box with the plastic surfaces already bubbled and scorched. So I opted for the Jeep resistor solution.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: