Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High torque starter?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: High torque starter? Reply with quote

What is the real benefit to adding a higher torque starter? If the standard starter works (but the current one is kaput after 26 years), is there any benefit to adding one of Karl's adaptors with high torque diesel starters over another Bosch remanufactured stock unit? The difference in starter power is 1hp for stock, and 1.8kw for the diesel starter - or roughly 2.5hp.
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the diesel starter in mine. The stock starter wouldn't turn over the high-compression engine. Pretty spendy unit. I wouldn't know why to upgrade if you don't have to, however, it is fun to hear it crank.
Remind me to let you turn the key. Cool
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: High torque starter? Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
What is the real benefit to adding a higher torque starter? If the standard starter works (but the current one is kaput after 26 years), is there any benefit to adding one of Karl's adaptors with high torque diesel starters over another Bosch remanufactured stock unit? The difference in starter power is 1hp for stock, and 1.8kw for the diesel starter - or roughly 2.5hp.

The OEM starter worked just fine for 22 years at least the last 5 or 6 years starting the Sub 2.2. I too, was mesmerized by the wunder starters, with the Porsche glorious name or the shiny adapters, then reason took over fancy. As far as --I-- am concerned it was all in my mind
I just went through this quest as my starter was showing signs of old age. I could not locate easily the famed high torque starter. I was reluctant to spend the asked price of an adapter, and besides the additional expense, I was never very hot on adapters whenever I could avoid it.
After receiving from the local flaps three starters that did not fit, despite recommendations by some Samba ""experts"" I finally resolved to do what was the simple obvious logical solution and had my starter rebuilt, today. I'll be able to tell soon whether it was the wise decision or not, so far so good.
One word of advice, BEWARE of the "words of truth" of some of said "experts". Took me awhile and practical experience to become suspicious of the validity of their ""established facts", such as the US$39 master cylinder or the Porsche starter that fit on my Vanagon. It's all bull.

The rebuilt was $75. Rolling Eyes

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, though, the stock starter works just fine in a stock setup. BUT, everything has to be right. Good grounds. Good battery. Good wires. Good connections. Good ignition switch. And so on for things being good....

For my Suby conversion I am trying the stock Suby starter, along with the stock Suby flywheel and a hybrid Suby clutch. We'll see just how good the wiz bang $$$ bell housing and clutch from Small Car works!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rebuilding of starters has been discussed at length in other posts. as i recall, the issue is that the rebuilding of these starters is not complete; for example - it doesn't include rewinding. the performance never gets back near the original level, and continues to deteriorate as the starter ages and is rebuilt over and over. IIRC.
Munroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the UK and my Vanagon runs on Propane.

I had a catalogue of problems with 'remade' starters, and ended up getting a Westyventures adaptor to use the later VW Diesel starter.

What a difference, it spins up the engine no problem even with the original wiring, and it starts much faster on propane.

Highly recommended and Karl's a great guy to deal with!
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the hi torque and Karl's adapter plate.

I had a lot of problems getting my Tiico starter to work not because of the motor but because of the bushing the starter shaft is supposed to fit into. The hi torque starter does away with this bushing altogether as it is self supported. Van Cafe put in several regular starters for me, one was a lousy rebuild, nothing worked until the hi-torque.

Yes it spins, you can practically drive the van on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: