Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Bluestar from Germany...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeaganJDews
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

I can't wait for more posts on this!!! I own an '89 Bluestar(Wolfsburg Edition) and I'm thinkin' about the 996 gearbox and a 1.8t. But this is a new level of badass.

When are you getting back to work in this beast?
Thanks,
Kage
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
It's amazing how long the little bits take but it's getting there slowly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was in two minds as to whether to lift the lid, add enough to the lid to create space or just cut the hole and plate over the top.

MG

I would be thinking "plexiglas" with that beauty in there.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

KeaganJDews wrote:
I can't wait for more posts on this!!! I own an '89 Bluestar(Wolfsburg Edition) and I'm thinkin' about the 996 gearbox and a 1.8t. But this is a new level of badass.

Thanks,
Kage

As the 996 gearbox already lends itself to the 5 Cyl, V6 and V8 Audi engines re bolt pattern (no adaptor plate needed), I wouldn't bother with the 1.8T 20V. I know of one person who has done the 996 conversion with 1.8T 20V and he had to do a lot of work to just get them to fit together.

I know a lot of people rate the 1.8T 20V and it's a good engine, but there are a lot of other, more tuneful engine out there.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:
It's amazing how long the little bits take but it's getting there slowly.

I was in two minds as to whether to lift the lid, add enough to the lid to create space or just cut the hole and plate over the top.

MG

I would be thinking "plexiglas" with that beauty in there.

That had occurred to me also but I plan on putting some sound insulation over the top also and then a factory diesel sound deadening mat as well. I want the van to be quiet inside... not necessarily as quiet outside Wink

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KeaganJDews
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
KeaganJDews wrote:

Thanks,
Kage

As the 996 gearbox already lends itself to the 5 Cyl, V6 and V8 Audi engines re bolt pattern (no adaptor plate needed), I wouldn't bother with the 1.8T 20V. I know of one person who has done the 996 conversion with 1.8T 20V and he had to do a lot of work to just get them to fit together.

I know a lot of people rate the 1.8T 20V and it's a good engine, but there are a lot of other, more tuneful engine out there.

MG

Are you talking about Patrik's thread? Seen that one and it looks like some work but fabrication is one of my favorites. Maybe I'll skip te gear box...

Thanks for the tips,
Kage
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

KeaganJDews wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:
KeaganJDews wrote:

Thanks,
Kage

MG

Are you talking about Patrik's thread? Seen that one and it looks like some work but fabrication is one of my favorites. Maybe I'll skip te gear box...

Thanks for the tips,
Kage

Yes Patrik's Tristar airride. Nice bus and mods.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Not much of an update but I decided to try out some new rims to get myself motivated to do some work on it.

I need to buy some narrower front spacers to pull them in 5mm but otherwise they're on and work.

They're Lamborghini Gallardo wheels.

19 x 8.5 with 235/35R19 and 19 x 11 with 295/30R19s.

Once Busfest is done, I'll be able to get back with the gear shift cables etc.

MG
tiggerjpt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Following with lots of interest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

I've been back on with the gear cable and linkage.

Time to get the van up in the air so that I can get underneath it!

And as it's been so long since I looked at this last time, I needed to refresh my memory as to where I'd got to it.

Cables onto the gearbox and shifter in vague position.

Thankfully the upper cable is able to use one of the OE holes in the chassis cross member although I'll have to open it up a bit for the whole cable to pass through once it's connected up to the front section.

Cable on up front...

With both cables on and meeting in the middle... it seems that I have already cut them to the right length Smile

I've also been buying parts for the junction box.

This is one of the four metal cable glands. They're supposed to go up to 10mm but the centre piece only allows up to around 7mm and if you try to open it up anymore... this happens Sad

Despite this, I tested the sealing end (thick rubber grommet) by tightening down the nut hard and it holds the cable no matter how hard I try to pull it out. I have been in touch with the seller and we'll see how it goes. If it starts to slip, I'll re-visit this.

I really want to use the 996 shifter but not cut the floor apart. My first thought was that I'd just have to bolt it down and cut a slot in the floor for the cables to pop through but it just seemed messy and a bodge. I also didn't want to open up the original hole in the floor for the shifter mounting.

So, I looked at the 996 shifter and the T3 setup and figured that with some trimming, they might match up - ish!

Deep breath....

I've gone and done it now. No going back!

Stock base plate, a Ł15 part.

Time to get the hacksaw out.

With a bit more trimming, the 996 shifter housing sits inside the T3 base plate... oh, yes I did have it 90o out!

With a few screws to hold it in place...

The screws are enough to hold it for the moment and I'll look at bonding the two together for a finished article.

Maybe someone will take the idea and make up a frame that will accept the 996 parts and fit straight into the VW T3?

In the van...

With the Tristar gearlever boot fitted, you can't tell that it isn't stock.

And from underneath...

I need to trim the cross member just behind it so that the cables will sit flat against the floor and then attach the rear section of the shifter to the floor so that the cables clip in from underneath.

I've ordered some more material to start making the junction box so I'll post photos up as I go on.

MG
japio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Won´t the throw be way to long?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

japio wrote:
Won´t the throw be way to long?

All the 'bling' blue stuff on this shifter is a short shift kit.

I'm hoping that by the time I extend the gear lever up to a normal T3 length, it'll be about right for normal shifting.

This is a standard 996 shifter.

MG
japio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

If the White plastic piece for the sideways cable is longer at the bottom too, you might have this luck. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

japio wrote:
If the White plastic piece for the sideways cable is longer at the bottom too, you might have this luck. Wink

That is one of the things on my mind. It may not be longer and therefore the sideways throw will be too much.

If this happens, I will look at modifying the housing to move the support for the white piece out and extend the inner section to match, so reducing the movement.

I'll find out soon Wink

MG
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Nice job! looks like it's going well with that shifter. I am using the same shifter and cables in my Vanagon, It's been in place for the past 3K miles, you are going to love it. I actually look forward to driving in city traffic now. I just put one in my Bay window van project too.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Nice job! looks like it's going well with that shifter. I am using the same shifter and cables in my Vanagon, It's been in place for the past 3K miles, you are going to love it. I actually look forward to driving in city traffic now. I just put one in my Bay window van project too.

Ah that's good to hear.

Do you have any photos of your setup please?

MG
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

No pictures of the linkage or how I lengthened the cables, but here is one of the shifter mounted in the Bay van. I did similar with my Vanagon, it's nice having the shifter right beside you rather than the long reach toward the dash. I did have to drill holes for the cables to go through the floor though. That's really cool how you used the stock shifter base. I destroyed two complete sets of shifter cables trying to learn how to lengthen them right. I extended the shifter to bring the shift knob up to a good position, this does lengthen the throw, but there are other pivot pieces in the linkage that can easily be modified to correct the side to side and front to back throw.

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

here's another to get an idea of the length of the shifter.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
No pictures of the linkage or how I lengthened the cables, but here is one of the shifter mounted in the Bay van. I did similar with my Vanagon, it's nice having the shifter right beside you rather than the long reach toward the dash. I did have to drill holes for the cables to go through the floor though. That's really cool how you used the stock shifter base. I destroyed two complete sets of shifter cables trying to learn how to lengthen them right. I extended the shifter to bring the shift knob up to a good position, this does lengthen the throw, but there are other pivot pieces in the linkage that can easily be modified to correct the side to side and front to back throw.

Great to see it being used.

If you have a chance, I'd be interested to see how you've lengthened the cables. I've settled on a design now and have pretty much all of the parts but it always interesting to see how other people approach the same issue.

You can PM me them if you'd prefer them not to be on the net or go any further.

MG
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

here's the Vanagon using the Porsche shifter.
japio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: A Bluestar from Germany... Reply with quote

Looks very nice Andrew Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: