Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Freshening up Westy cabinets - What to do with cabinet hinges?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Freshening up Westy cabinets - What to do with cabinet hinges? Reply with quote

I recently bought a Westfalia camper interior to replace our weekender setup (have a kind of love-hate relationship with the weekender layout). The new camper cabinets are in reasonably good condition but need some work to get them looking nice again. Unfortunately the metal parts are a bit rusty, planning to galvanize all the metal parts. And also want to replace the textured vinyl. Also the cabinet/door hinges contain rust. Anyone know how I can remove these? And are these also for sale new? Or should I restore them, if so how?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh up Westfalia cabinets what to do with cabinet hinges Reply with quote

Yes, new hinges are available, there are some in Canada and in Europe.
I just purchased some but forget the Vendor, I'll try to find it.
The hinges are left and right.
You will need to pull the rubber on the door to get them off.

Why not just wire brush and paint them?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh up Westfalia cabinets what to do with cabinet hinges Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Yes, new hinges are available, there are some in Canada and in Europe.
I just purchased some but forget the Vendor, I'll try to find it.
The hinges are left and right.
You will need to pull the rubber on the door to get them off.

Why not just wire brush and paint them?

Thanks. I prefer to use the original but they seem quite small to me to clamp in the bench vise and wire brush.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh up Westfalia cabinets what to do with cabinet hinges Reply with quote

sake wrote:

Thanks. I prefer to use the original but they seem quite small to me to clamp in the bench vise and wire brush.

i did a few by donning leather gloves and holding them against the wire wheel on the bench grinder. the powder coating pops off in chunks.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh up Westfalia cabinets what to do with cabinet hinges Reply with quote

Why not sandblast them and have them powder coated brown?
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh up Westfalia cabinets what to do with cabinet hinges Reply with quote

If you have less time than patience, you might consider chemically stripping the powder coated parts before refinishing. Here are a few potential chemical strippers:
https://www.tomburn.com/case-study/61e6a63862791/What-will-remove-powder-coating

As for the galvanized parts, you might consider simply cleaning and polishing them rather than stripping. Use a wire brush to carefully remove any rust down to clean metal, then apply a heavy car wax or clear acrylic spray to protect them before reinstalling.

Stripping the galvanized coating is relatively easy using muriatic acid or even household vinegar; but then you need to either paint or powder coat them again. Depending on their overall condition, you may find that it's best to preserve what you have than to attempt to refinish them.

https://tangoofthegeeks.blogspot.com/2020/10/remove-galvanized-coating-with-vinegar.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh up Westfalia cabinets what to do with cabinet hinges Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
If you have less time than patience, you might consider chemically stripping the powder coated parts before refinishing. Here are a few potential chemical strippers:
https://www.tomburn.com/case-study/61e6a63862791/What-will-remove-powder-coating

Didn't know it was that easy. Sounds great.

Quote:
As for the galvanized parts, you might consider simply cleaning and polishing them rather than stripping. Use a wire brush to carefully remove any rust down to clean metal, then apply a heavy car wax or clear acrylic spray to protect them before reinstalling.

Stripping the galvanized coating is relatively easy using muriatic acid or even household vinegar; but then you need to either paint or powder coat them again. Depending on their overall condition, you may find that it's best to preserve what you have than to attempt to refinish them.

https://tangoofthegeeks.blogspot.com/2020/10/remove-galvanized-coating-with-vinegar.html

Great. So instead of removing the galvanized coating and galvanize again you suggest remove the rust and protect the clean metal with was or acrylic spray? That sounds like a (cheaper) way too.
danielheff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Freshening up Westfalia cabinets what to do with cabinet hinges Reply with quote

I bought some hinges from here to complete my add-a-door to my closet.

https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/products/westfal...&_ss=r
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Freshening up Westfalia cabinets what to do with cabinet hinges Reply with quote

danielheff wrote:
I bought some hinges from here to complete my add-a-door to my closet.

https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/products/westfal...&_ss=r

They are looking good. But they are not like the original ones that are secured in the door with 1 pop rivet? What do you think?
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Freshening up Westy cabinets - What to do with cabinet hinges? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Pop rivets?

Can you provide a photo?

Is this the pop rivet in question?

Taken from sake's post at the top of page 1.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Freshening up Westy cabinets - What to do with cabinet hinges? Reply with quote

snuf wrote:

Is this the pop rivet in question?

Taken from sake's post at the top of page 1.

Just FYI, that hinge part is a real pain to remove because of the hidden portion of the pop-rivet. After you drill out the head of the rivet the hidden portion hangs up.
I ran into this little pig while cutting down my fridge door and relocating the hinge.
I would not try to remove unless you really need to.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: