Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 windshield replacement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey Burns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: 67 windshield replacement Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a quality new replacement for my front windshield in my 67 beetle. Searching the forums, many people used to get glass from West Coast Metric, but I can't find any glass on their site.
Any current recommendations?
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Antonio Trejo a shout. He usually carries new genuine articles.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=84077

But if you find a good deal on new glass - be aware that not all glass is created very well. Some have reported that replacement windshields coming out of china have problems. (ill-fitting, or lamination not lasting long).

oemwolf
Casey Burns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent him an email. Thank you for the info.
Casey Burns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio responded today, and he only carries later model windshields. Can anyone else recommend a source?
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

later model? a 67 screen is the same shape and size as the last produced mexican beetle screen.....
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Sekurit or VW logo, I wouldn't want it. I'd be wary of Mexi-beetle glass or any non-US spec glass. It may not be laminated safety glass. Be patient, comb the classifieds and wait to get the proper VW glass for your car. From your avatar, it looks to be well worth it Wink . Since you are replacing the windshield, consider getting the proper stainless windshield trim moulding.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought my glass for my 67 and 69 bugs from the local glass companies. They are both PPG and fit perfect. Call some of the big name windshield glass companies and ask what brands they have and where they are made.
I've also heard of issues with glass coming out of China.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
No Sekurit or VW logo, I wouldn't want it. I'd be wary of Mexi-beetle glass or any non-US spec glass. It may not be laminated safety glass. Be patient, comb the classifieds and wait to get the proper VW glass for your car. From your avatar, it looks to be well worth it Wink . Since you are replacing the windshield, consider getting the proper stainless windshield trim moulding.

Laminated glass is easy to spot, run a thumbnail over 3 exposed edge and you will feel 3 ridges, glass, polyvinylbutyl, a clear plastic then another layer of glass. It is the PVB layer that gives the glass its strength, the glass layers are just not even toughened just plain optically good glass. As to genuine, to my knowledge no manufacturer makes their own but have it made by companies like Triplex, PPG and Sekurit on their behalf and in Europe at least all glass sold for winscreens and side windows has to meet basic standards...
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I've bought my glass for my 67 and 69 bugs from the local glass companies. They are both PPG and fit perfect. Call some of the big name windshield glass companies and ask what brands they have and where they are made.
I've also heard of issues with glass coming out of China.

Yup, in glutamodo's topic covering 58-64 glass. How sad when companies can't seem to make decent quality stuff we can actually use.

FWIW.. wherever you shop for a new windshield, ask/look for 1965-77. marklee is right. They are the same size (except for Brazil models -- which still had smaller size glass).

oemwolf
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: 67 Windshield Reply with quote

The biggest issue as I see it in getting a new glass,is that no one makes a clear windshield for a bug any more. All of them are tinted .I am not talking about shaded with a band on top ,but the glass is green in color and not clear.
There is nothing wrong with the Chinese stuff ,I install a lot of it and use one in my car everyday.
Forget trying to get a bug glass with a VW logo , I sold one about a year ago to a guy . It was pitted and fogging .
If you can get one from Antonio in Mexico it will most likely be clear . I think they use a "CITSA" brand glass on the Mexi beetles, at least that is what the 2 mexi's I have owned had in them.
As far as safety issues, all windshields made today are Laminated safety glass.
The industry part # is "FW 173 " Yes the previous poster was right that the bug glass from 65 through 77 standard is the same and the Mexi beetles use the same part through end of production in 2003.
I just checked my supplier and they have tinted ones in stock for under $100.00 . I make a living hustling Auto glass so I know a little about it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I've bought my glass for my 67 and 69 bugs from the local glass companies. They are both PPG and fit perfect.
Same..I wish this guy was in L.A. I would send him to my glass shop. Mine just says "Laminated Safety" DOT E11 followed by a serial number.
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 1964 the windshield glass made by Volkswagen of Mexico is lamined safety glass type. If a 67´ screen is the same shape and size as the last produced mexican Sedan screen, then I have it in my stock.

Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71beetleman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Replacing my 1971 beetle windshield... Reply with quote

i recently bought a windshield for my beetle and im going to try and install it myself... anyone have any pointers or tips on how i should pull this off?
thanks -71beetleman
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a seacrh - Quick and dirty - Used windex as a lube - cord around lip - have someone push from oputside - pull the cord slowly and your done. More detail has been posted, but I am fried and heading to bed.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seibert66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 67 windshield replacement Reply with quote

I have this windshield on my 66 euro bug that was imported to California in 1967, does anybody know what brand this is by looking at the logo?

67_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 windshield replacement Reply with quote

Look up “DOT 177 Windshield” on a Google search and you’ll have an answer. VW Logo

(Spoiler: it’s “L-N SAFETY GLASS S.A.DE C.V. OF MEXACALI/TOLEDO, OH, USA” - they do the glass for Pilkington Classics in Ohio, too.)
seibert66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 windshield replacement Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated...
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 windshield replacement Reply with quote

I'm also in search for a 67 windshield replacement. I've heard that the Sekurit windshield is not correct for US spec and that Sigla is correct. Is this true?
•(__)•
(O\!/O) <--- supposed to look like a beetle Very Happy
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 windshield replacement Reply with quote

I just installed a new windshield from J Bugs. The first one I received was cracked, but they sent a replacement! It's Chinese, but fit good, btw, I contacted Safelite and they wouldn't sell me the glass unless they installed it for $430!
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 67 windshield replacement Reply with quote

rstrobel wrote:
I'm also in search for a 67 windshield replacement. I've heard that the Sekurit windshield is not correct for US spec and that Sigla is correct. Is this true?

I'm interested, as well, as I've only seen Sigla front windshields on 67s I've seen. This thread on a Porsche forum suggests Sigla were original fronts until the 80s (perhaps they were the ones who supplied laminated for the US market?): http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?44595-Sigla-Sekurit-windshields

Anyone have any ideas on why this is, or if it is true?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: