Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS axle length with 2x3's & Type 1
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
quadrazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: IRS axle length with 2x3's & Type 1 Reply with quote

Just wondered, is anyone else is running a Type 1 transaxle with 2x3 rear trailing arms? If so, what length axles are you running with them? I'm running 19 1/4" long axles with this setup, as were suggested by Appletree Automotive in Michigan (the place I bought my rear 2x3 trailing arms). The measurements I took after installing the 2x3 arms seems to suggest a stock bus axle (18 3/4" length) would fit, especially with the factory spring plate stops in place. My spring plates are not notched. It doesn't appear that the stock length bus axles would be extended at full droop to the point where it would pull against the CV's. It sure would be nice to use readily available stock length bus axles, instead of the custom length ones, if for no other reason than the availability and cost of spares.

I have already converted the stub axles and flanges over to accept Type 2 CV's, just for angularity during travel. I did this when I installed the 2x3's.

So....any thoughts/ideas on this are appreciated. Smile

Here's a picture of the current setup:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409845
traviswx1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock bus axles should work for 2x3 arms with a 002 bus tranny I think. I am running 2x3 arms and 091 bus with 17 1/4 axles. My axles are a little short at full droop but am gonna use the cv grease plate from appletree to space them out. You might be able to use the plates with stock axles. The plates measure up just over 3/8 thick.
BigElipso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running stock bus axles with a type 1 trans and 2X3s. They seem to work fine. I am switching to a 002 and hope they work for that setup as well.
ts39136
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quad, If you still have side to side play when the axles are level, I would think to leave well enough alone. The stock bus axles don't allow the CV to slide on the splines, which most aftermarket axles do.

Are you still breaking CV's? Do you plan on braeking an axle?
quadrazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ts39136 wrote:
quad, If you still have side to side play when the axles are level, I would think to leave well enough alone. The stock bus axles don't allow the CV to slide on the splines, which most aftermarket axles do.

Are you still breaking CV's? Do you plan on braeking an axle?

Tim,

Although there is side play, it is VERY minimal. I haven't broken any CV's since I changed up to the race-prepped Type 2's. Very Happy
And no, I don't plan on breaking an axle, but if I do, it'd be nice to know I could run the stock bus axles if I was in a pinch, rather than blow another $175 on custom length axles. Confused

quadrazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traviswx1 wrote:
My axles are a little short at full droop but am gonna use the cv grease plate from appletree to space them out. You might be able to use the plates with stock axles. The plates measure up just over 3/8 thick.

Now that is a solid possibility! I've heard of these, but never seen them. That could work if I needed a little extra space to run the bus axles. Thanks for the tip!

Wheel_Works
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Buddies who are running 3X3's with stock bus axles. They just leave one clip off one of the CV's on each side and they are having NO TROUBLES at all.
traviswx1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel_Works wrote:
I have Buddies who are running 3X3's with stock bus axles. They just leave one clip off one of the CV's on each side and they are having NO TROUBLES at all.

Thats a real good idea Think
ts39136
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traviswx1 wrote:
Wheel_Works wrote:

Thats a real good idea Think

I wonder which clip... If you leave the outside one off, you risk blowing your trans seal.. If you leave the inside one off, the axle would keep sliding down into the stub.

Another thought, is that you can trim your current axles, but that really doesn't help your 'cheap' philosophy.
traviswx1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure you would want to leave the outsie one on to keep the axle from hitting the seal but the axle would hit the stub but they usually do anyway on aftermarket axles becuase of the longer splines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: