Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Case Sealant - Help needed Urgently
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Case Sealant - Help needed Urgently Reply with quote

Sitting hear ready to join my case halfs. I have the Victor Reinz gasket kit and it only came with one large tube of sealant 31414 and the unlabeled stuf for the cap nuts. Instructions do not mention the case and say to use 28437 for heads... Which the kit did not come with!

Is thos one tube of 31414 multi purpose and to be used for both case and heads?!
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 10c's motorhead thread. There are other threads in which the topic has been discussed. Some searching should turn them up. Good luck.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=254338&highlight=motorhead
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Permatex Form A Gasket 80007 #1 Sealant. It works well for sealing the case halves. You can get it at your local auto parts store.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After searching and reading through a bunch of posts... and not finding any definitive answers... other then the pic of the Reinz Sealant 31414 in TenCent's aforementioned link...

I ended up using the Reinz Sealant 31414 that came with the Reinz gasket kit for the case halves. I applied it much like TenCent did in the aforementioned link.

I also used this stuff under the case nuts and washers and for the oil pump cover, using an o'ringed CB Maxi with No Gasket.

I plan on using it to finish up the heads as well, using the smaller unmarked tubes for the cap nuts that fasten the heads.

The Reinz Sealant 31414 looks like a good product, and after comparing it to the "Right Stuff" (there was an old container hanging around the shop bench) it left me thinking there was a good chance it is the same product, just relabeled.

Anyway... with assembly well on it's way (got the pistons and barrels installed) I am pretty much committed at this point on the case halves, but would love to hear votes of confidence just to help me sleep easier, especially on using the Reinz Sealant 31414 on the oil pump and the heads.
Baxta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Reinz-o-sil putting my case halves together 2 years ago. No problems since.
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one more recent thread about sealing up the heads. Maybe you've already read it.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455175&highlight=

From what I've gathered the case halves aren't that prone to leaking as often as the crank and OP seals, case plugs and the water channel seals are. I'm in the process of rebuilding my first wbx so I haven't actually done this yet. One thing I remember reading in another thread (and I don't know if I could find it again using the Search) was a case where someone had a clogged small oil passage from case sealant getting squished out from between the case halves during assembly. I think they ended up going through a couple a couple of main seals before figuring it out.

Good for you for taking the time to research and ask questions. Hope your motor stays nice 'n tight 'n dry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: