Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 overheating problem
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slamdxc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: 1776 overheating problem Reply with quote

i have a 1776 in a 66 bug. the engine was in the car when i bought it and it runs very hot. I have taken it to a a local mechanic that works on old aircooled engines and we found some missing tins that we replaced but it still runs hot. we also noticed that it has a very large oil pump , he said its the largest he has ever seen and it is bigger than the heavy duty ones that he has. I was wondering if any one could tell me if this could cause the over heating? We think it is moving the oil to fast through the oil cooler and its not getting a chance to cool properly. The engine is still just using the sock style screen and not an actual filter. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks
mcelhaney14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have aftermarket heads on it? I once read an article about a set of aftermarket heads that had casting flashing blocking air passageways through the fins. Post some more info about the engine, if you know it.
slamdxc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what my mechanic told me they are pretty much stock heads but they are brazilian heads. thats about all i know about them ,sorry. i'm trying everyday to find out more about this engine so that i can understand what its doing better. I guess thats what happens when you buy something that someone else started
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use decklid stand-offs - many larger engines get hot in pre-67 beetles because there is not enough fresh air coming into the engine compartment. Later beetles have those vents in the rear of the side glass, to accomodate the needs of a bigger engine. Yours does not.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a tennis ball ,cut a slit and slip on latch for engine lid, this holds lid open enuf to test drive and see if more air needed, if your decision as to a perm mod.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is running hot, the oil temp or cylinder head temp or both? They are kind of 2 different things.

The larger pump may heat the oil up, if it is too large for the engine it might be forcing the bypass to be always open and just circulating the oil back to the sump without going through the cooler. Does the motor have an external oil sump or a pressure gauge?

A 1776 isn't that big of a motor that you have to worry about the intake system robbing air from the cooling fan, but by all means try the tennis ball test and see if you are in need of more air.

brad
Lobo67VWBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 67 with a 1776 engine and a Dellorto carb. It was also running hot. A mechanic said it was missing a piece of sheet metal, which he put in, to protect the engine from the heat. If this makes sense to the bug aficionados, please elaborate. It has helped a lot. He also replaced the rotor.

I love the idea with the cut tennis ball!! I have to remember that.
slammedup66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missing piece of cooling tin being replaced would help your bug run cooler. The tin is a heat barrier to keep cool air flowing over the top of your motor, and the hot air underneath and out side where it belongs. Also a good thing to see if your thermostat and flaps are installed and working properly.
slamdxc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both are overheating. Everything is getting hot, after like 10 min you cant touch anything in the engine compartment. We are leaning towards the oi pump being WAY to big because we have made sure all the tins are there and all the valves and everything have bein adjusted. If we take he large oil pump off should it be replaced with a stock size pump?
hoghead5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before pulling the pump and guessing, why not hook up an oil pressure gauge and see what it's putting out?

i measured once, cut it three times, and the damn thing is STILL to short!
cutter57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 65 Beetle that ran hot. also a 1776 with dual carbs, and I had trouble with engine temps if the temp outside was higher than 75 degrees. The discussion in Rob and Dave"s aircooled volkswagen site is very helpful. I tried everything...all tin in place, even the Hoover bit: adjusted valves, checked timing (as relates to the 009 distributor), tried adjusting carbs richer, tried higher octane gas, even replaced my oil pressure control and relief valves....still overheated. Bottom line: the engine is too big for the amount of fresh air coming thru the louvers above the engine lid. If you look at beetles that were made with a 1600 dual port motor, they have additional louvers in the decklid. I finally cured my problem by propping the decklid open on warmer days (as mentioned above)...dropped my engine temps by 20 degrees. But you have to make sure all else is correct first. The link to Rob and Dave's discussion on overheating:

http://www.vw-resource.com/overheating.html

I hope this helps. I now have a convertible decklid from a 64 I will put on once my car is ready to go to the paint shop (doing a full resto now). I will see how much the extra louvers help.
Good luck
mcelhaney14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running a 64 with a W deck lid without louvers. It is also a 1776 and it doesn't run hot. I don't have stand-offs on it either. Since you said the heads were brazilian ones I would check the fins arounds the ports and see if you can look though them from top to bottom. I once read an article on this in Hot VWs I believe, but can't find it now. Once they drilled out the flashing it allowed the cooling air to pass and significantly dropped temperatures.
slamdxc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next thing we are gonna do is hook up an oil pressure gauge and see what it is doing. I am gonna try and prop the decklid when I drive and see if that helps but I think there is still an issure somewere because it gets hot just at idle with the decklid open after about 10 min. Thanks for all the replies so far
A Avina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure your oil relief plunger isnt sticking.Someone may have switched out the springs for stiffer or smaller ones causing your cooling system to malfunction.Simple to check and a cheap fix if that turns out to be the problem.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slam, do us a favor and take some pictures of your engine, both inside the compartment and underneath and post them for us.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a DH shroud, make sure you use a DH sized cooling fan. DH used 33, 34 and the last best 35mm between the discs that make up the fan. Non-DH used 29 and thinner fans the earlier you go.

Definitely clean all the casting flash out of the heads and head fins!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the fan isn't pulling the insulation off the firewall and closing off the fan opening, I've seen that before. Overheating at idle something is definitely wrong. Are you sure the fan is spinning? Reach back and make sure something hasn't happened that the nut is loose or the half moon key has broken.

brad
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Are you sure the fan is spinning? Reach back and make sure something hasn't happened that the nut is loose or the half moon key has broken.

That would be forward of the fan shroud, and make sure not to do that with engine running. Fingers and fan do not mix well.....
slamdxc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it has the right size fan and it is spinning, and I did check to make sure about the firewall insulation because that happened to my buddy with his bug, lol. We are going to check the releif valves in the nest few days to see if that part of the problem and check the oil pressure too.
slamdxc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We checked the releif valves today and the back one closest to the tranny was stuck and the front one had a high pressure valve in it. Mind you the car has a huge oil pump in it already. So we fixed that by putting stock ones back in it and then we checked the oil pressure and it is running a very irratick 35 psi at idle. The needle just jumps crazy from 35 to 40 and it still runs very hot afte driving it about 10 minutes or so. I'm thinking the pump is just WAY to big and that we should just put a stock pump in it. Any thoughts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: