Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

West Coast Metric headlight ring disappointing, need alternative
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j-sou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: West Coast Metric headlight ring disappointing, need alternative Reply with quote

I purchased a pair of headlight rings from WCM and they are horrible. Their rubber products have always been great when I used them in the past, so I figured I could trust them to have a decent headlight ring. I was wrong... Sad The shape is terrible, the 5&7 screw holes are poorly angled and recessed, and they won't snap onto any of 3 different fenders I tried (2 German and a BBT).

Does anyone have experience with Wolfsburg West rings and can verify they are shaped correctly and fit well?

Here are some pics of the WCM rings VS the originals off my 57-
Weird profile/shape-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Different height-

Inner edge not rolled to allow snapping onto the fender correctly-

If anyone can verify the Wolfsburg West rings are good quality I'll purchase a set of those.
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: West Coast Metric headlight ring disappointing, need alternative Reply with quote

Why not restore the originals? Not too bad from your photos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: West Coast Metric headlight ring disappointing, need alternative Reply with quote

I've never purchased just the rings from Wolfsburg West, but I've purchased their assemblies, and they're way, way more original looking than the one you show above. That one you've pictured above looks like the ultra-cheap Chinese knockoff that most budget vendors peddle.

Wolfsburg West claim they make their own, including the individually available rings...

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941111

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941037
j-sou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: West Coast Metric headlight ring disappointing, need alternative Reply with quote

I spoke to them and they confirmed they are just a Brazilian part. I'm going to return them and get a pair from WW. I get to eat the return shipping and restocking fee I guess... Rolling Eyes Lesson learned. Thanks for your input Busstom!

Busstom wrote:
I've never purchased just the rings from Wolfsburg West, but I've purchased their assemblies, and they're way, way more original looking than the one you show above. That one you've pictured above looks like the ultra-cheap Chinese knockoff that most budget vendors peddle.

Wolfsburg West claim they make their own, including the individually available rings...

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941111

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941037
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: