Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Packing & shipping a middle seat
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across this thread during a site-wide search and found the information to be very good advise. I have used Greyhound to ship items many times in the past and have a few more tips I would like to add:
1) Consider wrapping the legs of the seat with foam or a sturdy type of paper (ie. a grocery bag). I once attempted to ship something and the supervisor at the terminal lit into me that they could not ship anything with "bare metal" showing. He stated that "Grandma's suitcase could rub against this, while in transit, and then Grandma will be filing a claim because her suitcase is damaged." Up to that point, I had never covered anything but sharp edges, but after that I prefer to head off any potential issues.

2) I always add an extra tag to the item that contains the recipient's address and telephone number. I use (3"x4") sturdy paper tags that have the light wire. I then wrap the tag with large, clear packing tape to prevent the possibility of the address becoming obliterated. I've concluded that the reason shipping companies lose packages is because the person who prepares the package for shipping does not do enough to ensure the parcel is properly addressed or that the address is protected. The additional tag is a means of insurance in the event something happens. That way, if someone unwraps the parcel they'll see the tag.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am planning on sending a full width seat from Buffalo to San Francisco via Greyhound- hopefully collect (i.e buyer pays for shipping upon receipt)

. I spoke with the "friendly" but not too bright staff member who told me that sending oversized items collect is not possible. Can anyone else chime in and let me know if it is possible to do. Based on previous posts I would expect the cost to be about $200 from Buffalo to San Francisco.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update I did end up sending a full width seat from Buffalo to San Fran. Cost me $75!

The staff were not too bright and asked me how much the package weighed and measured, and charged me accordingly?? As other have mentioned it took about two weeks to get there but arrived in one piece.

As others have also mentioned package the seat up REALLY well.

Side note Greyhound (at least the one I dealt with) doesn't take debit cards, and the tracking number (GLI) they give you doesn't seem to work on shipgreyhound.com.

As long as you don't stress out over it the items should get to its destination although the waiting can be a bit nerve wracking. Prey and Believe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm make that pray and believe- freudian slip
Atlantic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a rear seat, not a middle seat, but the same works for it. I like to make it easy for the greyhound guys to haul it around without too much damage and the right sides up (do we know if there are always 2 guys around or does a single guy just drag it over the floor?).
This was a rear bench I found in Chicago and shipped to myself here in LA, so I didn't mind the extra expense. But hey, someone who pays $2000 and up for a middle seat might be happy to ad another $25 for the roller:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice idea with the rollerboard!

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlantic wrote:
This is a rear seat, not a middle seat, but the same works for it. I like to make it easy for the greyhound guys to haul it around without too much damage and the right sides up (do we know if there are always 2 guys around or does a single guy just drag it over the floor?)

I like it!

I don't know about elsewhere but in Phoenix, when I have picked up items, one person moves it but they have a large cart they use to move things around.

Most of the time I just ask them if I can jump back there and grab it though, they don't mind.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffreyned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mailed a middle seat to a guy in California. It was an ordeal I don't hope to repeat anytime soon. I got conflicting information from the staff at Greyhound as to the "proper way" to prepare it for shipment. I had to return multiple times until they were satisfied and would agree to ship it.

In the end I did essentially what has been outlined here, but then went to a furniture store and begged a big box off of them and put the whole shebang inside. It took much longer to arrive at it's destination than anybody thought it would. As has been mentioned, they give priority to passenger baggage, and it would seem they are in no big hurry to get it where it's going and don't bother to update anybody what's going on either. Mad

But, I must have hoped, prayed, and believed enough because it finally got there.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlantic wrote:
This is a rear seat, not a middle seat, but the same works for it. I like to make it easy for the greyhound guys to haul it around without too much damage and the right sides up (do we know if there are always 2 guys around or does a single guy just drag it over the floor?).
This was a rear bench I found in Chicago and shipped to myself here in LA, so I didn't mind the extra expense. But hey, someone who pays $2000 and up for a middle seat might be happy to ad another $25 for the roller:

I did a similar thing with a moving dolly when I shipped a 2/3 seat. The four wheel wood frame carpeted kind. Boxed it so the wheels were usable for easily rolling it around.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
thekombistop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing & shipping a middle seat Reply with quote

December, 2022

Had a recent experience shipping out a 2/3 middle bench seat. As you may be aware, Greyhound no longer does shipping (the tried and true way of shipping vw benches prior to the fall of 2022), and typical mail carriers like Fedex and UPS can't accept something so large.
My buyer had a budget of $500 for shipping, meaning any additional cost would be mine to pay. I'm in Sioux Falls, SD, and the buyer was in Palmetto Bay, FL, and personally, 1,800+ miles is too far to drive.

I researched some freight options such as through Fedex and UPS, but each was $1000+, which ruled those out as options.
The buyer for my bench suggested uShip, a company which uses contractors/general public to drive your freight item any distance. But after having my listing on that site for a few weeks with no hits, and the offers I did get were $700+, that ruled that option out as well.

I decided to go through YRC Freight shipping and do a terminal drop off and home delivery. I got a quote of just under $500 from them and determined I would need to build a skid with a crate on top for the bench to safely arrive at its destination.

I wrapped the seat in cardboard and pool noodles on the armrest bar (missing the armrest itself) and the top handlebar. Used little hooks to mount it to a homemade skid, and created a 1/2in box around it. I also threw a moving blanket over the top of it to protect it from rubbing on the sides. You can never be too safe when it comes to protecting something getting shipped. It arrived undamaged to the buyer in Florida.

The entire crate/skid I built was 40x30x42 (could've lost a couple inches on height, but better safe than sorry) and weighed around 180lbs.

Total cost for shipping ended up being around $575 if I remember right.

Initially it was just under $500 (seller drop off at Sioux Falls YRC, drop off at buyers home in FL w/ no liftgate delivery) but then I was charged $75 later on for liftgate delivery, which I didn't fight. I was hoping they could do it without with 2 guys moving it, but theres no sense in arguing it and it arrived undamaged so I'm a happy camper.
I can imagine a 3 seater bench would be more, but not crazy more. Maybe around $650-800.

Overall i was very pleased with YRC and this method of shipping, and will go this route for any future shipping needs.

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing & shipping a middle seat Reply with quote

Well played…and boy what a fantastic seat someone received!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2565156
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing & shipping a middle seat Reply with quote

With Greyhound and YRC no longer shipping, what are the preferred methods for shipping large items. I have a seat in Ohio that needs to make it to AZ and a large roof top cargo carrier in upstate NY, thoughts?

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing & shipping a middle seat Reply with quote

It really sucks to hear the Ol' Silver Dog will ship no more. Was always exciting seeing that big box sitting in the terminal waiting for me. . . and all the sleepless nights not knowing where my overdue seat was.

FedEx/UPS Freight are very expensive options.

Years ago I remember some using Amtrak. Wonder if they are still in the shipping game?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing & shipping a middle seat Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:
With Greyhound and YRC no longer shipping, what are the preferred methods for shipping large items. I have a seat in Ohio that needs to make it to AZ and a large roof top cargo carrier in upstate NY, thoughts?

LTL freight. There are plenty of trucking companies that you can use. If you want your load to be insured, it will be fairly expensive. If you are willing to take a chance, it is a lot more reasonable. Of course the starting point for all costs is size and weight.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing & shipping a middle seat Reply with quote

i shipped a seat with fastenal. it was strapped to a palette. no problems.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Packing & shipping a middle seat Reply with quote

fastenal is great but they have a east / west border they will not cross

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Packing & shipping a middle seat Reply with quote

Stocknazi wrote:
It really sucks to hear the Ol' Silver Dog will ship no more. Was always exciting seeing that big box sitting in the terminal waiting for me. . . and all the sleepless nights not knowing where my overdue seat was.

FedEx/UPS Freight are very expensive options.

Years ago I remember some using Amtrak. Wonder if they are still in the shipping game?

Agreed, miss the dog!

Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Packing & shipping a middle seat Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Douglas Denlinger wrote:

LTL freight. There are plenty of trucking companies that you can use. If you want your load to be insured, it will be fairly expensive. If you are willing to take a chance, it is a lot more reasonable. Of course the starting point for all costs is size and weight.

Thanks, always like to hear of a tried and true company.
I'm sure there are far fewer seats criss crossing the country compared to 10/20 years ago.

Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Packing & shipping a middle seat Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
fastenal is great but they have a east / west border they will not cross

Thanks, gives me an idea....at least I can get items most of the way to Arizona, just need a transfer location.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: