Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto-Stick Transmisson Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Auto-Stick Transmisson Question Reply with quote

I replaced my wife's auto-stick transmission with one from another car this morning. While I was getting all of the wiring hooked back up I noticed that the original transmission had on the passenger side two hookups for switches/relays and the new one only had one. The connectors are a two-prong (which went on the new tranny) and a three prong that had no where to plug in. My question is does anybody have any idea of what that extra plug goes to or what it is and if there is a wiring diagram out for the auto-stick electric parts. Any help will be appreciated. Smile

"Growing older, but not up!"
Rob Timmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right it was a temperature sending unit. You might get more info at vwar.org for an auto stick diagram. Bentley does have one for only 70 and that would be a newer year one you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob,

Indeed I believe you are correct. After looking through the Bently a few more times i noticed a note on page 7 of the Auto-Stick section that says:

The following modifications have been made in replacement parts for the warning circuit: The switch for the temperature range 257 to 275 degrees F and the control switch have been eliminated. In the modified system the switch for the temperature range 284 to 302 degrees F operates the red light in the speedometer, and the light stays on until the ATF fluid has cooled. Previously, the light went off as soon as the driver downshifted. Replacement of the converter housing, shift rods or transmission case now calls for conversion of the temperature warning device to the modified system. A longer cable is required to connect the warning light with the 284 to 302 degrees F temperature switch directly. The existing holes for the temperature and control switches of the earlier system must be sealed with plugs and washers.

This leads me to wonder apparently they got rid of the three-prong switch and went only with the two-prong but do I need to re-wire the whole system with a "Longer cable" now. If anybody has done this or known of someone that has please let me know.

Jay

"Growing older, but not up!"
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerian,
They dropped it. Sound like you had an early trans, and replaced it with a late one.

I'd run a wire from the high temp unit you've got to the input side of that
3 prong switch.

Messy, but fabricating a new sub-harness would be messier. Or...you can try one of vwar guys, IIRC he may be making the sub-harnesses.

That three prong switch reacts to the shift rod and switches voltage from one temp switch to the other.

Regards
Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: