Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

removing oil pressure relief valve
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptspringer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: removing oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

My 1966 1300 Bug has a rebuilt 1600 cc engine, with 3100 miles. I've been working to repair the stuck oil relief valve, and then the leaking oil cooler.

I'm having difficulty. removing the oil pressure relief valve plunger.

I used a 12 mm tap to thread into the plunger, but it's stuck solid. With the die inserted, and having sprayed liquid wrench to loosen it, modest twisting and pulling does not seem to work. I'm afraid to apply too much force in case I break the tap or damage the engine.

I was planning on threading in a 12 mm bolt, and using a 12 mm nut to extract the plunger, but the threads are not deep enough for the bolt to start.

I've ordered the plunger extraction tool that will help me.

So has anybody had this much difficulty in getting the plunger out?

Any tips??

And am I likely to have a scored or burr in the cylinder after I extract this plunger???

If so, how do I smooth it for the replacement plunger????

Help please,

Paul
ptspringer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: fixed it Reply with quote

OK problem solved!

I gave the wrench (on the 12 mm tap) a a little more torque and the relief valve plunger started turning and then fell out. I can see that the plunger has tool marks from the lathe in manufacturing but otherwise no marks.

Although I bought a replacement plunger, it is the new kind with the groove cut in it near the top.

I think I'll stick to the original. I'll polish it up and put it back after checking for burrs in the cylinder.

Then I'll see if my oil cooler still leaks and go from there.

Paul

1966 1300
59 vw guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luck was on your side i had one in a 2110 i had and ended up drilling hole in it and threading in a dent puller and wallah right out.. Very Happy
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single or dual pressure valves? For the singles, the grooved plunger will make your engine run cooler. But don't use them on the duals.
ptspringer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a single pressure relief valve - no pressure control valve. The grooved plunger was the only one I could find to buy new, but it also comes with a stiffer spring to raise the oil pressure. Is the higher oil pressure what the engine is cooler?

I thought I stick with the stock spring, because of my oil cooler leaks Ive had, I've already polished the old plunger.

Now I need to hone the inside of the case bore somehow. Thinking of using 400 grit emery paper wrapped around a 1/2 inch dowel rod.

Paul
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The groove routes the excessive oil through the oil cooler, rather than dumping it back into the case uncooled. The Type 3 1500S models started the practice, and so it is sometimes called a "1500S plunger." It works in Bugs just as well.
rokemester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a related question to add to this old thread. Can you tell from these pictures if the valve body is in the case bore? I'm in the middle of putting the 1300cc motor back together for my 66 Bug. When I pulled the plug and spring I remember it was odd the valve body wasn't there. I assumed it was stuck but forgot about it until reassembly. I don't think it was there in the first place!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

payin_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokemester wrote:
I have a related question to add to this old thread. Can you tell from these pictures if the valve body is in the case bore? I'm in the middle of putting the 1300cc motor back together for my 66 Bug. When I pulled the plug and spring I remember it was odd the valve body wasn't there. I assumed it was stuck but forgot about it until reassembly. I don't think it was there in the first place!

i don't think there's a valve in there.
rokemester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think so either, but it's difficult to tell how it should look if you haven't seen it before. I'm going to order a new pressure relieve valve and see how it operates. Thanks.
rokemester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running the motor for a couple of years without the plunger in the oil pressure relieve valve. It was something I didn't check! Would there be a reason someone might remove the plunger? I'm having a tough time finding a replacement plunger for my stock single relief valve 1300cc motor. I don't want to use an oil pressure booster kit, because I'm replacing the main bearings, rod bearings, cylinders and pistons. I was just looking to fix the end play!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: