Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chico 88mm P&Cs, anyone use them ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Chico 88mm P&Cs, anyone use them ? Reply with quote

has anyone used these P&Cs Question

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=806472

thinking of getting a set for a single port motor and was looking for some feedback on them.

Last edited by QRP on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump - Anyone care to guess what they may be like?
manoa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting on a set to play around with on a spare motor. When I get them I'll let you know.

Hopefully the thickness of the barrel is where you need it to keep the heat/cooling problem in check (warp, blowby, etc.)

As you can see the bottom of the cylinder's at the seal to the case are ultra thin. As long as it seals well there between the cylinder and case, the thickness of the cylinder should not matter much (I hope).

Anyway for my project it should not matter much. Other than that I think they are AA china stuff, so don't plan on using them for anything to serious.

(o\ ! /o)
-----
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manoa wrote:
I am waiting on a set to play around with on a spare motor. When I get them I'll let you know.

Hopefully the thickness of the barrel is where you need it to keep the heat/cooling problem in check (warp, blowby, etc.)

As you can see the bottom of the cylinder's at the seal to the case are ultra thin. As long as it seals well there between the cylinder and case, the thickness of the cylinder should not matter much (I hope).

Anyway for my project it should not matter much. Other than that I think they are AA china stuff, so don't plan on using them for anything to serious.

naw, im just looking for a little more passing power for my Thing. strictly cruising. i am concerned about the quality more than anything. Great price though! Im thinking since Chico is selling them that he wouldnt sell junk.....I hope Wink
billbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of these that I am using for my engine build. As others say, check to make sure they are within specs. as some of the parts from China (or anywhere for that matter) can be "off".

One thing you must take in to consideration when running these is their thickness at the combustion chamber. These cylinders are 5.25mm thick up top. Even though the OD is the same as a 90.5/92 thin wall, the ID is not the same. One head builder I spoke with had concerns with them sealing properly with his heads that had been set up for 90.5s, since the inside of the barrel would not be flush with the outer edge of the combustion chamber of the head. As long as you talk this over with your head builder, something can be worked out for running them.

The other thing you must consider is that the case side is the same size as 85.5s so you would run that size shims at the case side. I'm not sure if anyone makes copper head shims that will be compatible with these. I am planning to call Chico Performance tomorrow to find out how they are setting these up.

Still need to order some heads for my build, so I will let you know exactly what the outcome is.
billbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke with Chico Performance this morning. I was told it IS important that the ID of the cylinder not overlap the combustion chamber of the head for proper sealing etc.

Also, I was told the copper head shims/gaskets would not be a problem even though they are not the same thickness as the cylinder.

I will be ordering my heads in the next week so I'll let you know how that turns out too.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u get these what would the CCs be?
manoa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
if u get these what would the CCs be?

1679cc

(o\ ! /o)
-----
sirkisstic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, since they fit the stock hole in the case, you can run paper gskts to seal em up, I'm sure they will run as long as a set of 92's would, but I wouldn't run them on stroker cranks, Joe, pro motor builder.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirkisstic wrote:
well, since they fit the stock hole in the case, you can run paper gskts to seal em up, I'm sure they will run as long as a set of 92's would, but I wouldn't run them on stroker cranks, Joe, pro motor builder.

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you? No one uses paper gaskets, and the issue with 92's are with the thin cylinder wall causing warpage, not with the thin cylinder base. There is no reason why you can't run a stroker crank with these.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: