Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Complete Front-End Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That experience will come in handy when you have to replace the Meyle stuff in 6 mos..... Laughing

purplepeopleeater wrote:
My whole frontend is apart now, I know people aren't fans of Meyle but thats what I plan on using.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
That experience will come in handy when you have to replace the Meyle stuff in 6 mos..... Laughing

purplepeopleeater wrote:
My whole frontend is apart now, I know people aren't fans of Meyle but thats what I plan on using.

Laughing

yeah, thats how long my window rubber lasted.... Mad
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

purplepeopleeater wrote:

Laughing

yeah, thats how long my window rubber lasted.... Mad

Have had my UCA bushings (sourced from Van Cafe) in for a couple yrs now.
Sometimes they sqeak when wet.. otherwise, they are working as well as new.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finishing mine - went with the VC kit. However, I encourage you to do the upper and lower ball joints while you're in there ... really doesn't make sense to do the entire job and leave the old ball joints. VC should offer two kits - one with and one without. I bet with would sell better ...

But perhaps it's just me - I also did rotors, bearings, pads AND shocks, "while I am in there" ...
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm relacing it all, balljoints, tierods, boots, springs... Also media blasting everything and epoxy painting.
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are sending me encouragement. I'm still working up the nerve to take it all apart and replace all the rubber, ball joints too. My struts are relatively new still and my brakes are fine, but all the rubber needs replacing (probably original). The springs might need replacing, but that will have to wait. Made some other fixes in the mean time (door window seals, headlight upgrade, Sewfine front seats), now it may be time to tackle the front suspension.

Scott
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
I'm relacing it all, balljoints, tierods, boots, springs... Also media blasting everything and epoxy painting.

Dang ... I didn't do springs or paint, but did do everything else AND steering rack bushings, boots, etc. Also brake lines and caliper dust seals.
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floggingmolly wrote:
You guys are sending me encouragement. I'm still working up the nerve to take it all apart and replace all the rubber, ball joints too. My struts are relatively new still and my brakes are fine, but all the rubber needs replacing (probably original). The springs might need replacing, but that will have to wait. Made some other fixes in the mean time (door window seals, headlight upgrade, Sewfine front seats), now it may be time to tackle the front suspension.

Scott

Go for it! It was all really intimidating at first, but I took my time, did one side at a time (so I can see how the other is put together when reassembling the first), and paid my mechanic to press all the bushings. Once you've done one side, the other goes five times faster - it's really all pretty logical.
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregaz wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:

Dang ... I didn't do springs or paint, but did do everything else AND steering rack bushings, boots, etc. Also brake lines and caliper dust seals.

Yep I've done the calipers (painted blue too, nice) steering rack was done when it was leaking, brakes lines...check. Even the UCA bushings I did several years ago but are now squeaking again... Confused I've laid underneath for a while looking at everything that needs to be done so I think I understand it all. What I'm hesitating on is the need to press in the lower ball joints. I can strip it down to the spindles but I'm always afraid of "what if". So I may just drive down and pay my guy to press them in and then I'll install the rest, then get the alignment done.
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floggingmolly wrote:
<SNIP>

What I'm hesitating on is the need to press in the lower ball joints. I can strip it down to the spindles but I'm always afraid of "what if". So I may just drive down and pay my guy to press them in and then I'll install the rest, then get the alignment done.

I did that. Also had them press in the bearings at the same time. Just take the entire knuckle down to your guy - the peace of mind and knowing that it was done right was worth it to me. Plus, three hours of labor to press in all the bushings and LBJ was a good deal.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floggingmolly wrote:
You guys are sending me encouragement.

It IS a big job.. but if you go at it methodically, it can also be very rewarding.
And NICE reward in in much better handling, too.. especially with an upgrade or two along the way.
The big sway bar is still among my favorite upgrades (Addco 25mm).. and is (or was, at least) under $200.

Disassembling everything.. helps to better understand how it all works together. And for me, it instilled a good deal of confidence in the vehicle itself.
The design is pretty interesting. Simple, yet robust.

Give yourself a window of time to deal with it.. and don't allow yourself to rush it. Find someone who can press the lower ball joints for you.. and maybe the bushings. May want to have someone spot weld the UCA bushings per Bentley.

Did most of mine over two weekends. The project gave me a fair boost in confidence towards more complex projects.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregaz wrote:
floggingmolly wrote:
<SNIP>

What I'm hesitating on is the need to press in the lower ball joints. I can strip it down to the spindles but I'm always afraid of "what if". So I may just drive down and pay my guy to press them in and then I'll install the rest, then get the alignment done.

I did that. Also had them press in the bearings at the same time. Just take the entire knuckle down to your guy - the peace of mind and knowing that it was done right was worth it to me. Plus, three hours of labor to press in all the bushings and LBJ was a good deal.

Bearings! Yes that would be a good add on I almost forgot about. I've thought about them and I have no idea on their age or condition but since Ive put the last 80K on the 240K it has, probably good preventative maintenance if nothing else.

Is it hard to strip it down to the knuckle?

j_dirge wrote:
Disassembling everything.. helps to better understand how it all works together. And for me, it instilled a good deal of confidence in the vehicle itself.
The design is pretty interesting. Simple, yet robust.

Give yourself a window of time to deal with it.. and don't allow yourself to rush it. Find someone who can press the lower ball joints for you.. and maybe the bushings. May want to have someone spot weld the UCA bushings per Bentley.

Did most of mine over two weekends. The project gave me a fair boost in confidence towards more complex projects.

Yep, tearing down and building back up does give me a sense of security. I've redone a number of things myself and feel good about accomplishing them myself and the quality of the job.

I will have the UCAs welded. I pressed them in myself with a vice and was not able to spot weld them. I have time to do the job as I have a motorcycle I can get around with and work from home.

The confidence in my mechanical abilities has soared in the 6 years I have own the van. I really only changed oil and did some brake pads before but have done quite a bit on the van myself. I enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done almost as much as saving the labor dollars.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregaz wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:

Oh yeah, im doing that too...brake lines are toast as are my dust sheilds. Im not doing steering coupler bushings tho as they have been replaced at some point.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
bump, old thread....

Any shots of this zerk mod? I've done the rear zerk mod...

I would have bought powerflex but just not in the budget and I had to make a move on bushings due to bad balljoints and loose tie-rods (all original and I have 242k on them) Shocked

Not a zerk mod but 10 cent had posted his procedure for sealing with something like plastidip and seemed to have found some degree of success.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:
bump, old thread....

I would have bought powerflex but just not in the budget and I had to make a move on bushings due to bad balljoints and loose tie-rods (all original and I have 242k on them) Shocked

Not a zerk mod but 10 cent had posted his procedure for sealing with something like plastidip and seemed to have found some degree of success.

As in painting the exposed rubber with plastidip? I did some searching and was thinking wax or something but plastidip sounds better
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
levi wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:
bump, old thread....

As in painting the exposed rubber with plastidip? I did some searching and was thinking wax or something but plastidip sounds better

i might be wrong, but i think he used a heavy duty silicon sealant, then once it was cured he cut around the center metal tube of the bushing, with a sharp blade, so the bushing and silicon could rotate without damaging the silicon, also it would work as a partial blocker for the grease, to better help keep the grease in the bushing

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These vans must all be on the same cycle. My upper bushings are blown out as well. I am just looking for the time to replace them. Got stock ones from the cafe plan on assembling with plenty of lube then covering the outside with fluid film.if I blow them out quickly I may get fancy control arms. I like to offroadmonthly and I am never easy on her.s

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrindGarage wrote:
These vans must all be on the same cycle. My upper bushings are blown out as well. I am just looking for the time to replace them. Got stock ones from the cafe plan on assembling with plenty of lube then covering the outside with fluid film.if I blow them out quickly I may get fancy control arms. I like to offroadmonthly and I am never easy on her.s

I'm assuming the van made it through the storm then? My parents have a place on 1st and Corinthian and got a few feet of water. Fortunately it is their second home (until they retire) and they "live" on the second and third floors when there. I guess you made it out OK if you're still considering spending money on your van?
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an epidemic! Mine started making all sorts or noise up front when the cold weather hit.
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
It's an epidemic! Mine started making all sorts or noise up front when the cold weather hit.

Yeah, same here. Once it dipped below 75F my suspension started creaking Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: