Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

80k for a kombi?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
would anyone believe that a barndoor deluxe brought in the neighborhood of $275-300K?

Did a deluxe actually get that? Shocked
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Let's start a "Barndoors and Barndoor Parts for Sale Whines" thread.

X2

I wonder how many Kombis there are left in exisiance? 150? How many are on the road? 50? How many have never been really welded? 10? With the original engine 5?

I'd say it's worth it, but I guess the market will decide.
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concept1 wrote:
BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Let's start a "Barndoors and Barndoor Parts for Sale Whines" thread.

X2

I wonder how many Kombis there are left in exisiance? 150? How many are on the road? 50? How many have never been really welded? 10? With the original engine 5?

I'd say it's worth it, but I guess the market will decide.

Very well spoken. Very Happy If I only had the coin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:
UZI wrote:
would anyone believe that a barndoor deluxe brought in the neighborhood of $275-300K?

Did a deluxe actually get that? Shocked

no one knows for sure but those are numbers i heard from reliable, no BS people close to the source.

i was offered a restored deluxe for $150-165K range.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornbecker 52 Question Confused

Cant think of anything else that would get that.

Unless one of those mystery 51s is very original too?
Or prehaps the Flat 4 one at a stretch? I know that's changed hands fairly recently.
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you guys are talking about crazy prices, why not bring up the 50 Kombi that Bubba recently sold.....
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get the final price on Bubba's bus, but it was substantial. It would have to be if it were mine. I'd have a tough time letting that one go. But it will be in the company of a lot of rare buses. Probably won't see that one again until the BD round up in 2012, maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA57RHD wrote:
Barndoors of this caliber don't come up for sale to often, but if you want to play the game, you have to pay.

That pretty much sums it up in my opinion.
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This very Bus back in the mid 1980's, original paint and rust free...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool old pics...........what happened to the front? im guessing there must have been damage since they put a repro bumper on it? cool bus!
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
cool old pics...........what happened to the front? im guessing there must have been damage since they put a repro bumper on it? cool bus!

Not a repro bumper, I believe it may be one of those "medium rib" Brazilian fronts. It's right between long rib and short rib. Obviously that's something very easily remedied these days. I have no knowledge of any collision damage. I suspect the primer spots were just covering spots where the paint got thin. Keep in mind that back then stone chips on an original paint nose would be something to hide cause original paint wasn't seen so much as something to preserve but rather a good base for a immanent repaint.

hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the clarification.........i guess ive never looked at the brazil bumpers that close,are the pressings really just like the bumpers gerson makes?

i saw the round pressed areas and knew there was something strange going on,did they have the foresight to keep the german bumper? are there any old pics of the front before its restoration?
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
thanks for the clarification.........i guess ive never looked at the brazil bumpers that close,are the pressings really just like the bumpers gerson makes?

i saw the round pressed areas and knew there was something strange going on,did they have the foresight to keep the german bumper? are there any old pics of the front before its restoration?

I can't say for sure about the rib corners but I've seen some people mask them off squarely while others make them round when painting them. Have you ever noticed how many different shapes the outer edges of the ribs had on original paint bumpers? Some are super pointy, some are totally round, lots of them are in between. It's all a matter of how they were masked off. Gerson offers beautiful reproductions of both long and short ribbed bumpers. Of course if somebody didn't want a repro, originals do pop up and the people in the know can find them pretty quickly.
There are some more scans of old photographs of the Bus in Eddie's gallery. No doubt about it, it's a damn clean and impressive Bus, hands down one of the nicest Barndoor Kombis I've ever seen anywhere in the World.

hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pressings on gersons bumpers are not squared like an original and by that im talking about the pressing on the ribs on either side of the liscense plate...........no factory german ones were round like that,yes some of the pointed ends are slightly different but not the squared ones opposite the liscense plate

i bought repro bumpers from gerson,they are very nice (props gerson!) but they are not the same as german,so much so that i almost cut the pressings im talking about out and fabbed correct profiles..........but then i just decided to finish fixing my original

i wonder if gerson used an nos brazilian bumper to use as a template for his repros? maybe that would explain the round center pressings?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably just bought an NOS Brazilian bumper when they did the restoration and painted it up. Why fix an original when you can get a brand new one...

I've seen a couple other 1990s-resto ribbed bumper Buses with those same bumpers.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micro9301 wrote:
Since you guys are talking about crazy prices, why not bring up the 50 Kombi that Bubba recently sold.....

What Question Bubba you sold it
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's a nice bus I don't think "nicely restored" would be an accurate term. I know I wouldn't want to drop 80k on a nicely restored bus that had fiberglass in the cargo floor and needed rocker work. If I was gonna drop that kind of dough i'd get Kris's bus and still have enough left over to get an ice cream cone. But I guess it's nicer than my '54 kombi.
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought it has no rust? how do you know its filled with fiberglass? edit....i finally read the text from the ad.............i rarely read the brokered car ads

sounds like it just has some fiberglass patched in one area........
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
While it's a nice bus I don't think "nicely restored" would be an accurate term. I know I wouldn't want to drop 80k on a nicely restored bus that had fiberglass in the cargo floor and needed rocker work. If I was gonna drop that kind of dough i'd get Kris's bus and still have enough left over to get an ice cream cone. But I guess it's nicer than my '54 kombi.
Reading and comprehension skills in NC seem to be lacking Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: