Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hawai'ian Magnum Syncro M-Tdi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hawai'ian Magnum Gadget: it's a Syncro Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Rockstar!!!

Shootz Casey! Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawai'ian Magnum Syncro M-Tdi Reply with quote

Nice pics. Fun to see your project. One tidbit I would mention is that you shouldn't use copper anti-seize with aluminum. If any electrolytic corrosion occurs, the copper is more noble and the aluminum (head, intake, etc...) will become the sacrificial material. Instead, nickel anti-seize should be used with aluminum.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hawai'ian Magnum Syncro M-Tdi Reply with quote

Nice work - but the dog steals the show every time!!! Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hawai'ian Magnum Syncro M-Tdi Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Nice pics. Fun to see your project. One tidbit I would mention is that you shouldn't use copper anti-seize with aluminum. If any electrolytic corrosion occurs, the copper is more noble and the aluminum (head, intake, etc...) will become the sacrificial material. Instead, nickel anti-seize should be used with aluminum.

Thank you Andrew!

I didn't think of that, that's an excellent theoretical point.
The other grey antiseize I had , I ran out of and I saw this one could withstand hotter temperatures at the store. Too much bling Laughing

That'll do, sometimes thinking too much doesn't make things work better. I have stainless exhaust studs in Aluminum cylinder heads for years, never saw anything bad happening yet.

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Nice work - but the dog steals the show every time!!! Cool

Thank you Jake Wink

Yeah I know, she has a tendency to do that. She knows how to pose for pictures and loves the paparazzi.
You should see her when she skateboards on boardwalks (not here, but in France I used to with her, we have none here Crying or Very sad ). Barking at people if they get in her way, natural horn, and I don't feel like a douche whistling at walkers Laughing Although now they have bicycle lanes painted, that helps.

One more for the show off folder Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawai'ian Magnum Syncro M-Tdi Reply with quote

Catching up on the work! Surf has been horrible this summer, so tons of time to do mechanic Laughing

I replaced the Tee'd hose between the water pump and the cylinder head with one from a T4 1.9 diesel, 028121053N, straight shot.

Ordered from Just Kampers, it got here so fast and for very reasonable shipping costs. Amazing.

I also got a pigtail connector for the Tdi alternator, the pin closer to the rounded part is for the alternator dash light.It is labelled "L"
Part number 1J0973772.
Beware, the conector 1J0973722 is almost identical but doesn't fit.

I finally found a decent spot where to mount the Pierburg CWA50 pump for the charge cooler. It is best to have it mounted horizontally; so I couldn't mount it on the left of the electrical box in the engine bay.

Stainless steel M6 rivet nuts with minimal shoulder

I made a gasket out of some inflatable boat material to not have it metal on metal.

I'm also working on the power steering.

Here is a reservoir bracket I modified to bolt on the driver's side carrier bar bolts next to the tail light. Perfect location, much better than the original diesel location next to the fuel filter in my opinion. (especially since I have a lot of stuff happening there).

I'm using an aluminum cooling pipe from a 1993 Eurovan steering pipe. 701422091A I have to shorten it and change its angle to fit from the Eurovan power steering reservoir to the metal pipes under the battery tray. The Eurovan power steering reservoir is the same as the Vanagon but has the fittings going down instead of horizontally. I didn't plan on having the coolant filling reservoir in the way, the reason why I'm using the Eurovan reservoir.

Notice the baffles inside

It will fit on this brace I made out of aluminum to be mounted between the carrier bar bolts, on P-clamps. The aluminum cooling hose will be necessary since it's mounted right above the muffler can Confused

I also replaced the return fitting on the Tdi power steering pump with a Toyota fitting . I found it out browsing pictures on Google thinking the mounting bolt was with a 12mm head, like Japanese cars, so maybe there's a pump out there that has the same type of fitting but with a different shape. I know pump makers standardize a lot of things, the odds were good for it to be the same diameter, which the o'ring part number confirmed.
Suction port 44337-24020
O'ring ID 12mm x 1.6 90301-11016

I'm also scratching my head on where to install this air filter minder. The brass filter nipple is 3/8-24 on the minder side but is nothing on earth thread on the other side. It looked like M10x1 but slightly NPT, so I was tired of not finding a nut for it and I cut it with a M10x1 die to fix it. Problem is, it's supposed to be mounted on the clean air side, and no way I'm mounting that on the plastic hose from the air filter to the turbo with a nut waiting to be swallowed by the turbo. I'm thinking maybe remote now, with a hose... Rolling Eyes

Since I'm also installing a SmallCar in dash AC ( https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=120 ) , I'm replacing these baked rubber grommets on the wiper shafts.
I sprayed Fluidfilm too everywhere behind the dash.

Alright, see you later! I'm about to pick up this 1984 Datsun-Nissan Maxima 6 cylinder, 50th Anniversary edition, 1st owner, 89.000 miles, no rust, full options for....$1. Razz Razz

it runs on 5 cylinders for now, but easy fix.

Last edited by ALIKA T3 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawai'ian Magnum Syncro M-Tdi Reply with quote

Looks great! I like that IC pump.

ALIKA T3 wrote:
I replaced the Tee'd hose between the water pump and the cylinder head with one from a T4 1.9 diesel, 028121053N, straight shot.
Ordered from Just Kampers, it got here so fast and for very reasonable shipping costs. Amazing.[/b]

Just a heads up...for anyone interested - Brickwerks makes that same hose in silicone.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/bypass-hose-t3-d-td.html

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawai'ian Magnum Syncro M-Tdi Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Looks great! I like that IC pump.

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Ordered from Just Kampers, it got here so fast and for very reasonable shipping costs. Amazing.[/b]

Just a heads up...for anyone interested - Brickwerks makes that same hose in silicone.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/bypass-hose-t3-d-td.html

Thanks Chris Cool
Yeah the pump is sweet, but has to be used with a controller, like the Tecomotive I'm using. http://www.tecomotive.com/en/products/tinycwa.html

God dammit for the hose !

I looked for a silicone version of that hose for hours, asked on TheSamba too, couldn't find it, so I gave up and bought the rubber version.

I have the silicone one that came in the kit for the JX engine, but it's too short, I don't like I would need to pull on it.
This one has been made longer to suit the 1.9 . Aaaargh, I can't believe it was under my eyes for so long Mad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: