Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ebrake cable wore a hole in my power steering line. Weld it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Ebrake cable wore a hole in my power steering line. Weld it? Reply with quote

Yesterday, after a 3 hour drive over the cascades, I noticed the tell tale signs of a small oil leak - spots of oil on my back hatch and bumper.

After a quick visual inspection I could tell the motor was not leaking oil. That's good, right? Checking out the rest of the chassis I see a wet spot on my passenger side trailing arm. At first I thought it was brake fluid but when I caught a drip on my finger it was the color red. ATF. Power steering line was leaking! The e-brake cable housing has been rubbing on it for the last 20 years and finally wore through.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had my lady start the van and turn the wheel and fluid squirted out, this was the high pressure line.

Searching the Samba, I didn't see anyone else complain about this problem. Maybe my e-brake cable is mis-routed or I'm missing a guard of some sort? Can anyone give me the story on this?

I did see a thread with instructions on how to make a new replacement hose from high pressure steel braided cable

Walrus's instructions for building 2 Power Steering lines:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147368&highlight=steering+fluid+leak

High Press line
11.5' long, two female compression fittings, 16x1.5mm
Needs to be flex industrial stainless braided rated 4200lb. I.D. is 5/16".
I believe I used 3/8". Connects where metal line junctions with the 1.5' section of hose held onto pump with banjo bolt.

Low Press line
13' long, Needs to be rated 400lb? 1/2" I believe.
Connects from Reservoir to rack. I cut the pipe 4 inches from rack and connected by sliding hose over pipe and used hose clamps. Other end hose clamps to reservoir.

This seems like overkill for my problem. I'm hoping I can just have the worn spot welded up and I'll be on my way. The line wasn't corroded, it seemed to have lots of life left to live.

I pulled it out

And here is the worn spot. You can't see it but there is a pin-hole where the fluid leaks, actually it shoots out. I think there is something like 4000 psi on that hose!

I'm going to call the local welding shop and see what they say tomorrow. Hopefully this is an easy fix. Once it's welded I'll just reinstall, fill with ATF and it's done. Is there any reason welding won't be a good fix?
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd weld it up if it were mine.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a failed HP steel line, we repaired by brazing (requires CLEAN metals) slipped a metal patch over the spot and laid it up like a band aid.

VW brazes the ends onto the pipe themselves.

it's hot glue for men... err VWs..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my e brake cable comes down between the shift linkage and coolant pipes, below the pipes and on the the trailing arms. It does not go between power steering lines and frame. It is still tight and not dangling down to catch debris. It might be that yours was mis-routed?

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny Allistair, I did the same thing - ran out in my skivvies with a flashlight and crawled under the Syncro...

Mine is routed exactly as the pictured one above and I have a scalloped out spot well along as well in the same spot. A thousand thanks for alerting me to this. I stuffed a red rag in there so when I'm back under the van to install the shifter linkage I'll remember to put some anti chafing in that spot.

Regards,

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez Doug, I'm as bad as you, now I have to get a picture...

alistair
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running back out to see if my hard lines look like those PS lines....

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Allistair - those look like mine right down to the metal clip shape, orientation and patina. So mebbe someone put yours in a better spot. Feel the top surface of the curve on the right hand pipe and see if you can feel a scalloped worn spot from a previous E brake cable. I can feel mine instantly - no question.

DougM
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alistair,

Thanks for the pic. I'll be rerouting my cable to look like yours.

DougM - I'm glad this post will prevent at least one person from having this same stupid failure. Maybe I'll type in "Check your e-brake cable routing" now every time I see "Change your fuel lines" Laughing
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Yep, Allistair - those look like mine right down to the metal clip shape, orientation and patina. So mebbe someone put yours in a better spot. Feel the top surface of the curve on the right hand pipe and see if you can feel a scalloped worn spot from a previous E brake cable. I can feel mine instantly - no question.

DougM

I went out and "felt my pipes", no wear. I guess I can assume my e brake cable was never routed the way yours and IrideWheelies is/was.

The wet spots in my picture are from spritzes of Fluid Film, I use as holy water.

alistair

Oh just a thought, maybe the shift linkage protection tube you have makes the cable routing I have difficult or even impossible?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours must have been built on a Wednesday. Mine on a Friday. Hopefully not an Octoberfest Friday....

DougM
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, good catch on the shifter guard - factory part??

DougM
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the shifter guard was part of the bad road package on 14" syncros in other markets. standard (I think) on 16" syncros, and standard on 90/91 (earlier?) syncros in NA.

I think they are a worthy addition if they stop freezing slush building up on the linkage which makes shifting hard. I've had that happen on my van.

alistair

edit: IrideWheelies van also has rubber boots on the rearmost bushing of the shift linkage
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice addition. I'll consider fabbing something though I will only drive it in snow for novelty factor and to make use of the 14" chains I scored at a garage sale...
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped the line off at Zieglers Welding in Olympia for repair. He told me he'd see what he can do. They're pretty busy right now so I might not get it back for a few days.

I'm hoping to leave Friday on a weekend trip to Lake Chelan. Wish me luck!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had great luck with Zieglers; they've been there since I was a kid.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this thread is going all over the place and that it's my fault, BUT - how far into the backcountry along Chelan can you get and are there cool camping spots for a Syncro in the open woods or do you have to find an official spot? We take out boat up the lake once a summer and love the area - would love to find out we can access it with the Syncro as well...

DougM
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sweat Doug, I love talking about exploring the NW, that's why I got me a Syncro camper!

I'm going there for a Mtn. Bike race. I'm camping with my bike buddies at Echo Valley Ski Resort. One of my friends has a real nice 2010 Sportsmobile Sprinter. It's almost as cool as a Syncro.

Here's a link - http://www.nwepicseries.com/june-11-echo-valley-30mile60mile

Should be a good time.

To answer your question about Chelan, I don't know the area very well at all. It's an amazing lake but the south end is too commercial and developed. If there was a spot to camp halfway up the lake I would be extremely interested in knowing about it.
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed! Just in time to leave for Lake Chelan tomorrow Dancing

Zieglers repaired the line in one day, cost was $27. Not too bad.

I think it was brazed, not welded. Take a look

I unhooked my e-brake cable at the junction and re-routed it under the power steering cables but it didn't want to fit that way. I didn't have the time to mess with it so I just put it back the way I found it. I'll try to re-route it next weekend but I might not be able to. If that's the case, I'll try to secure the e-brake cable so it isn't contacting the power steering line. It made a nice divit in my frame rail too

So that's it. Line was reinstalled, refilled the fluid and started the engine. After cycling the steering lock-to-lock a few times, the system bled itself.

I hope this thread will help anyone else who finds themself in the same situation.

Se ya!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, and I'll let you know what I find. Chelan is a neat area. Have a safe race!!

DougM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: