Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought a 71 Coupe today!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Bought a 71 Coupe today! Reply with quote

After being Ghia-less for 15 years - last one was a 74 - I've finally located a Ghia I think I can live with for a few years. It'll make a great bookend to my 72 Super.

Car is literally rust free except under the battery and that is a wire brush job and paint to match. Body has NO bondo anywhere - no rust in the usual places - pan is original - no repair panels - nose is original and has never been dinged. Quarter panels are solid - only problem is drivers door - not a surprise since many use the doors to pull themselves up and cause hinge damage.

Price was $2500! and came with a new headliner - dash cap and wood grain insert - and 4 brand new tires on aftermarket wheels that I can't identify. I can't post pics of them yet since I won't be picking up the car until sometime next week. Interior is in great shape - one small tear in the driver's seat. Engine has been neglected and will need work - probably a rebuild. I'll have to trailer it home since the generator bearings are shot and make an ungodly noise - fan moves up and down about an inch! Bad! If it weren't 120 miles to home I might try driving it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
INLANDGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a solid Ghia nice find!
Vettman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! I’m getting ready to list my “ 1969 project ”. I’m going to have to reevaluate my pricing! Mine runs and drives, but has severe rust in the pans etc.
das skiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! - you've gotta be one Happy Camper...
I've always loved a black coupe.
Have Fun - that's what they're for - right?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I should have it home by Wednesday weather permitting.

As to the color - it won' be black for long. As soon as I find what the original paint was I'll be making plans to paint it. Looks like its red - OK with me as thats what my 74 was - Porsche India Red on the 74 - but this one will return to the stock color. I might warm the engine up some - maybe a 1776, I have a 69mm CW crank doing nothing - but the Ghia is too rare to mess with much. Maybe some tires and wheels but thats about it.

It should look good sitting next to the Bright Orange 72 SB.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: