Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Failed Emission Test - High HC
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tafkah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Failed Emission Test - High HC Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My 89 Vanagon MT failed the Utah state emissions test because of high hydrocarbon at idle.

Here's my test results:

At 900 rpm: HC - 391 PPM, CO - 0.63%, CO2 - 12%, O2 - 4%
At 2500 rpm: HC - 123 PPM, CO - 0.70%, CO2 - 14%, O2 - 4%

The test was not done on a dynamometer.

Just before the test, I changed plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, checked timing, new O2 sensor, changed oil and filled up with 88 octane gas. There are no apparent vacuum leaks. I also made sure the engine and cat were very hot before the test.

The cat is one of the $100 units from bus depot, installed 4 years and 36,000 miles ago.

The van runs great and gets about 19 mpg.

After the test, I found two small exhaust leaks where the manifolds bolt to the engine. Would that be enough to cause high HC? What's are the next most likely causes?
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Emission Test - High HC Reply with quote

raygromer wrote:
Hi guys,

My 89 Vanagon MT failed the Utah state emissions test because of high hydrocarbon at idle.

Here's my test results:

At 900 rpm: HC - 391 PPM, CO - 0.63%, CO2 - 12%, O2 - 4%
At 2500 rpm: HC - 123 PPM, CO - 0.70%, CO2 - 14%, O2 - 4%

The test was not done on a dynamometer.

Just before the test, I changed plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, checked timing, new O2 sensor, changed oil and filled up with 88 octane gas. There are no apparent vacuum leaks. I also made sure the engine and cat were very hot before the test.

The cat is one of the $100 units from bus depot, installed 4 years and 36,000 miles ago.

The van runs great and gets about 19 mpg.

After the test, I found two small exhaust leaks where the manifolds bolt to the engine. Would that be enough to cause high HC? What's are the next most likely causes?
..I bought one of those cats from busdepot many yrs ago and has served me very well when dyno/emission tested..maybe somebody played around with that large screw on the throttle body trying to regulate the idle..that is a no-no... I had to rtv the small leaks I had before testing..
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed Utah Emissions with high HC last fall. It turned out to be a loose connection from the 02 sensor.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray - Did you ever get this resolved?

My van just failed CA emissions for the same reason: High HC at idle (fine at 2500 RPM). Have about 6k miles on basic tune-up items, O2 sensor and temp sensor. 2 years / 10k miles on cat. I realized after the fact that I was due for an oil change.

Ideas?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigsteve141
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any luck with this? I am running into the same problem. Cat, o2 sensor, all basic tuneup items rreplaced within 10k.

All of the emissions checks passed fine except HC at idle, which was 634ppm instead of 400ppm max.

I have been told it is possible lean misfire or a vacuum leak, but I don't fully understand those scenarios yet.
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigsteve141 wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with this? I am running into the same problem. Cat, o2 sensor, all basic tuneup items rreplaced within 10k.

All of the emissions checks passed fine except HC at idle, which was 634ppm instead of 400ppm max.

I have been told it is possible lean misfire or a vacuum leak, but I don't fully understand those scenarios yet.

Could be a problem with the coaxial green wire that connects to the O2 sensor. If the outer strands contact the inner wire, this will result in rich running and high HC.
Themasterof42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the smog boat as well. Last weekend I took it to the station but my HC's were too high. It looks like the problem was the catalytic converter. The technician hit it with an IR temp gun. Supposedly it should read 100 degrees difference between the inlet and outlet temp. Mine was depleted and thus I had problems even though the screen inside the cat looked good visually. I think it was original to the van so no huge loss. We'll see on Thursday if it's fixed for sure with a new Cat. Might be worth hitting your catalytic converter with an IR temp gun as well if you have one available. Certain running problems can foul even a new catalytic converter pretty quickly I've heard.
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a compression test and leakdown test before guessing at too many parts to throw at the problem.

A burnt/weak/leaky exhaust valve can cause high HC at idle (which goes away at higher RPMs).
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2
Quote:
Do a compression test and leakdown test before guessing at too many parts to throw at the problem.

A burnt/weak/leaky exhaust valve can cause high HC at idle (which goes away at higher RPMs).

Utah recently changed emission reg's. Testing is done at idle and at 2500rpm (much lower that what they used to test at). In my opinion, this speed is the "dirtiest" range for the 2.1. New plugs, wires etc. will not match the difference that a repaired exhaust valve can make. I too threw all new parts cap, wires, plugs, ultra premium oil etc...in the motor after installing new heads. After failing IM twice I decided to investigate the valves and discovered that one was not adjusted correctly throwing everything off.
Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After valve adjustment and a new cat the HC and CO% numbers were dramatically different.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, it helps to get that cat hot, hot, HOT! Make sure its almost glowing and working hard before you take it in - make an appointment don't let it sit there in the parking lot to cool off.

Good luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: