Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sears allstate two wheeler.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
I own two and their both 7/8" receiver.
My favorite tag along camping trailer ...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your setup looks awesome. Serious inspiration for me to build my cover. We took ours out last weekend for the high school track team bottle drive. Good times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hackernick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Has anyone found a good source for converting the hub-wheels to a standard hub and wheel setup? So far I can’t find hubs for a ¾” axle. If we have to replace the axle, so be it. Thanks guys!
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

hackernick wrote:
Has anyone found a good source for converting the hub-wheels to a standard hub and wheel setup? So far I can’t find hubs for a ¾” axle. If we have to replace the axle, so be it. Thanks guys!

When I rebuilt my trailer, I ground out the spindles as I wanted something more up-to-date as my wheels were rotted thru and I didn't want a single mount point for the wheel. I used a 1 1/16 spindle and hub kit from the Carry-on trailer Corp brand. https://www.carry-ontrailer.com/parts/.
When I got my spindles, I test fit the hub onto the spindle and inserted the spindle on the axle (after some cleaning of the area) to get a good sense of where I wanted to the spindle to be welded in place, made my marks and tacked the spindles in place. I then removed the hubs, cleaned off the grease and took axle to a nearby welding shop to have tem use a stronger welder to ensure a deeper penetration of the weld between the spindle and axle shaft.
I order three new wheels to match the hubs https://www.easternmarine.com/8-and-10-Trailer-Tire-Rim/ and I was on my way. You can get tires from the above site as well but I opted for whitewalls to match my wagen.

Hope this helps. Best of luck
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
highlandmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Hi,
Just wanted to post the Trailer i picked up last summer.
It’s in pretty good shape.
It’s a 1974, and originally the bottom was that Sears beige color.

Anyone know the thread size of the holes for the spare tire bracket?

I also have what i believe are two of the three original rims, if anyone is interested.

Last edited by highlandmurf on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

highlandmurf,
Here is a photo of the spare tire bracket, the spare tire is mounted with these wing tee's, don't know the size though.
highlandmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
highlandmurf,
Here is a photo of the spare tire bracket, the spare tire is mounted with these wing tee's, don't know the size though.

Ah, same bolts that attach the tailgate!

That's a start.

Thanks!

Edit-
The bolts are 3/8x16 thread.
I used allen headed cap screws to act as studs to hang the wheel from.
A hex head bolt will not clear the bracket.

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

My son saw this one on Craigslist last night. I checked out the ad, and it was 15 minutes from my house. I got in touch with the owner, and went to see it. It is a little rough, but complete. It does have bolt on wheels, and it came with two spare rims. It looks like it was painted the same color by the same artist that painted our double cab. Not sure what the plan is other than to start using it:

Now we have a real life clam shell template for our other trailer!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fastswift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

I will admit that I am not a VW owner but as someone that has rebuilt a Sears trailer such as the ones shown in this thread. An internet search led me to this site.

I also apologize for "bumping" a older thread, but have a question or two and hoped you could steer me in the right direction.

My trailer is a 1973 and I did not know its history until I sand blasted it for paint. I then saw the Sears tag on the body and did some research.

Trailer is pretty much done and updated to my specs. I wanted something that we could use while camping. I like how it turned out...

Anyway my question: Does anyone know where I can find the lid hold-opens? Right now I am using a stick, but would like to have a more secure mechanical lock.

Some pictures below. As you can see I am using much larger wheels and fenders, 2 inch coupler, new wiring/lights and a blueish/grey paint. We welded up the frame to strengthen it in anticipation of some hard off road usage. The roof racks will mount and support a large solar panel.

Thanks!

Day I brought it home

last week as shown behind my truck

Type of stuff we use it for:

Better picture:

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Fastswift wrote:
I will admit that I am not a VW owner but as someone that has rebuilt a Sears trailer such as the ones shown in this thread. An internet search led me to this site.

I also apologize for "bumping" a older thread, but have a question or two and hoped you could steer me in the right direction.

My trailer is a 1973 and I did not know its history until I sand blasted it for paint. I then saw the Sears tag on the body and did some research.

Trailer is pretty much done and updated to my specs. I wanted something that we could use while camping. I like how it turned out...

Anyway my question: Does anyone know where I can find the lid hold-opens? Right now I am using a stick, but would like to have a more secure mechanical lock.

Some pictures below. As you can see I am using much larger wheels and fenders, 2 inch coupler, new wiring/lights and a blueish/grey paint. We welded up the frame to strengthen it in anticipation of some hard off road usage. The roof racks will mount and support a large solar panel.

Thanks!

Day I brought it home

last week as shown behind my truck

Type of stuff we use it for:

Better picture:

Did a great job getting your trailer cleaned up and modernized a bit. In the lid support you could try to fabricate a set of scissor hinges like I did. Unfortunately the flat stock I used wasn’t thick enough to support the lid as my cover is once piece and a thicker gauge than the original piece so the lid weighs more...

The other solution I began to look into were lid supports much like the ones you find on modern minivans, SUV and the like.
https://www.mcmaster.com/lid-supports
I haven’t revisited my trailer as other projects sort of steered me away from it but those were the options I was exploring. Finding an OG set of Scissor hinges will be a chore. Hope this helps. Good luck!! Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Fastswift wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find the lid hold-opens? Right now I am using a stick, but would like to have a more secure mechanical lock.

I have essentially the same trailer but the single wheel version. I used generic gas struts (like the kind MonT3 mentioned). Check it out about 1/2 way down page 10 on this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=180

They came with brackets to mount them, so there was no welding required. The only issue was figuring out the pressure of struts needed. That took a couple tries (it needed a higher pressure than I expected). But they were super cheap and now 2 years later, it's still working out great. We use the trailer as a camp kitchen and the lid stays up nicely with no fear of it slamming down.
Fastswift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

CanStan and MonT3

Thank You! I have ordered a set of the 84 pound struts and bought the mounts locally.

Funny - my trailer bed and lid do not show any evidence of previous mounts like on CanStan's trailer. I had the entire thing blasted down to bare metal and no signs of hole filling or repairs.

I will post follow up pictures once it is complete.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Fastswift wrote:
CanStan and MonT3

Thank You! I have ordered a set of the 84 pound struts and bought the mounts locally.

Funny - my trailer bed and lid do not show any evidence of previous mounts like on CanStan's trailer. I had the entire thing blasted down to bare metal and no signs of hole filling or repairs.

I’m glad you got something sorted out. My lid has the little tabs I was able to mount the struts to but the other mount was just part of the strut kit and I had to screw them to the trailer body. That took some effort to figure out- I ended up crawling inside and had the lid closed on me to come up with the location to mount them.
I got them at Princess Auto which is roughly the equivalent to Harbor Freight in the US. And I think 84 lb struts sounds about right. I tried lighter ones and they wouldn’t hold the lid up. The higher pressure ones are a little harder to close but it’s no big deal. I think I paid $12 per strut.
Keep us updated when you get it working!
highlandmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Fastswift wrote:
CanStan and MonT3

Fastswift, mine is a 1974.
It has two stays at the opening end.
I believe they are original.
They tuck their mounting brackets when closing.

Someone covered them in red plastic cable shielding.

They do get in the way,when loading. I may go the gas strut route in the future.

dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Thought I would post up the trailer I just bought for $200. It is in relatively good shape. The previous owner had LineX bedliner sprayed all over it at some time. I haven't seen the road since 2018 until I hooked it to my truck and pulled it home. I will be using it behind my Vanagon Westy TDI project to carry all the things that there just isn't room for but that you know that you need.

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
Thought I would post up the trailer I just bought for $200. It is in relatively good shape. The previous owner had LineX bedliner sprayed all over it at some time. I haven't seen the road since 2018 until I hooked it to my truck and pulled it home. I will be using it behind my Vanagon Westy TDI project to carry all the things that there just isn't room for but that you know that you need.

Nice trailer! Looks to be in excellent shape and thanks for sharing the sears ad as well. You're going to enjoy that thing. Very Happy
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

In late Nov, I happen to come across a FB add in the local classifieds page of someone local that was selling a small trailer. The lines immediately grabbed my attention but the price was eye-popping. I reached out and asked if I could come pick it up after I got off work and the owner responded back to let me know someone had beat me to it. I wrote back to thank him and let him know that if the person backs out, I can be there in a half hour after getting off work to pick it up. An hour before my shift was up, the owner reached out to let me know the initial buyer drove by their house looked at it and let the owner know it was too small for what they wanted it for. So the trailer was offered to me which excitedly I let the owner know if the wheels can hold air I'll tow it home that same evening. I met the owner and we chatted for a bit. He let me know it had some electrical issues on one side and I let him know that was too easy to fix. He asked if I was serious about the trailer. I pulled out my phone and showed him I had an earlier one which I rebuilt. He smiled and and mentioned I think it's going to a good home. He went to tell me his father bought it new from the local Sears and it had been in the family it's whole life. After his fathers passing he took it and over time painted it to match an Explored they had and used it to travel across the country. After that, it was rolled under their deck where it sat for the remainder of it's time till the man said he was selling his house to downsize (kids all moved away). So he pulled it out, aired the tire and posted it up for sale. He went inside to get the title and brought his wife out to meet me as well as look at pics of the trailer I built as she couldn't believe someone else had one. The title was signed over, $200 exchanged hands and hitched it up to my truck, plugged the light plug into my hitch and off I went...

This trailer has the bars to hold the clamshell top open as well as handles to open the top. My 68 doesn't have that. Either way, I'm happy with my new addition.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
highlandmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler Reply with quote

There was some discussion of how to determine the year of these trailers.
I found a site that has a lot of old Sears catalogs scanned.

https://christmas.musetechnical.com/?fbclid=IwAR1l...10haIo_CBo

Here are some observations:

This style of trailer started production in 1960.

The Allstate name stopped being used on this style of trailer starting in 1965.

Sears Trailer details 1966-1977

Spare tire mount on side starting at 1968

Top:
Clamshell top was introduced in 1966. Prior to this it was sold as an opened top trailer.

X pattern with Sears logo at center through 1971
Ribbed side pattern from 1972

Top stays:
Hinged through 1971
Rods from 1972

Top: Light gray with racing stripes 1968- 1971
Top with tail lights attached 68-71

Wheel Hub:
Center mount hub through 1967 or 68
5 stud hub from 1967 or 68 ( in 1968 catalog 5 lug wheels are a noted selling point. The 1967 catalog looks like it has 1 photo that shows 5 lugs, with “quick release wheels” noted.

Fenders:
Polygonal shaped through 1975
Round fenders ‘76 on

Paint:
Light gray through 1971
Cinnamon brown trailer with Palomino tan top from 1972

Logo:
Allstate logo not found on 1966-1977
1966-1975 Sears logo on back of top.
X-Cargo snail logo starting in 1976

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Here’s my recently completed 1973 Allstate. I won it in the raffle at Buses and Balloons in Albuquerque in 2022.

Before

After

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Picked up this 1975 Sears trailer.

This was probably in storage since 2000. It came with the accessory trailer stand wheel. It has what I believe to be the original Goodyear tires. I rewired it and bought some new tires.

Questions, what do you guys think the holes in the fenders are for? Looks like a good spot to mount a fender marker pole or side marker light.

This trailer did not come with a lid prop. In the photos I am using a child cot rod. What did this era trailer originally come with in terms of a lid prop?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Here's the most recent photo of my Sears Allstate trailer. I mainly use it for hauling all my camping equipment but it's fun taking it to car events and loading it up with all the travel goodies. The stickers are all magnetic and can be removed without any harm to the finish. Always a crowd pleaser!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: