Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fork in the road.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Fork in the road. Reply with quote

If you could go back to to your High school days and take a completely different path as far as career or marriage.....what would it be.....I guess for me i would have joined the Military or The Sheriff Department and done something a little more rewarding than doing the autobody thing.....
Madtat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rocket scientist! Because all my friends said "I did'nt need to be one to figuer things out"! But I wanted to be one anyway! Twisted Evil
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of bought Microsoft, Google and Apple stock instead of putting money in a retirement account.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biggene
Samba Hillbilly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would have stayed in the service. I could have retired in December of 2009 with 25 years in.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20, and besides if I had done that I wouldn't have my 2 beautiful children.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doc1369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have talked my buddy into going with that NASCAR team that wanted us for roadies. We we're both tall and that was a quality to have for a member of a pit crew. This was back before it had exploded into what it is today. I almost went but he was reluctant, know I could have talked him into it but I was chicken.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gotten into working for a NASCAR team instead of screwing around with VW's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have joined the military fresh out of High School instead of wasting money on one semester of college. I would stay in the military instead of only 8 years. I would have never got married. I would have save money instead of blowing it on nothing to show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggene wrote:
I think I would have stayed in the service. I could have retired in December of 2009 with 25 years in.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20, and besides if I had done that I wouldn't have my 2 beautiful children.

I would have stayed in too. Every December 6th since 2003 I give myself a swift kick in the ass for getting out. (I could have retired at 20yrs in 03)
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have taken school more seriously. Other than that, i think the choices i have made make me who i am today. I have made some poor choices and tried a few different careers that didnt work out, but i learned along the way.
I find "IF only" type of regrets pointless because you cant change the past. You can however, make a better future for your self.

yeah, sappy, i know Cool
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mom suggested I should become a pharmacist.
I should have taken her advice. Twisted Evil

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:

I find "IF only" type of regrets pointless because you cant change the past. You can however, make a better future for your self.

yeah, sappy, i know Cool

I agree but I call it "lessons learned" and continue to make my life better as I get older.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would've joined the military. If you're smart, it sets you up for the rest of your life.

Or I would've gone to nursing school which is what I'm doing now at 35. I'd be ALOT better off family and money wise with that long of a head start.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida_Buggy wrote:
I think I would've joined the military. If you're smart, it sets you up for the rest of your life.

Or I would've gone to nursing school which is what I'm doing now at 35. I'd be ALOT better off family and money wise with that long of a head start.

Congrats on nursing school. I started Respiratory Therapy school when I was 35. I'm done now. Best decision I ever made Smile
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! At first I did it for the money and job growth, but even working as a CNA, I really enjoy working with people.
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change nothing. Have had a blast so far. Chose the Military out of Highschool, traveled the entire world and retired when I was 42 and have been enjoying retirement since.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I gotta go along with “65Vert” on this one.
In a thirty year Navy career, I’ve been there and done that!
Around the world at least several times! More storys and adventures than I could ever recall. To be honest, a few hard times also, but with great pride and memorys of service to this great country I have much, much, more then just a few rewards.
More importantly, with great friends, I finished school, learned to fly, owned a couple of Cessna’s. Later got my kid through school after raising her as a “navy brat” in Japan where she learned the lingo, and works today.
(she got thru the quake in good shape, staying with my wife’s people for the time being)
Along with almost twenty years in civil service, super retirement
With killer medical, absolutely no complaints.
I was lucky to make the choices I did. Somebody up there musta liked me.
Very Happy
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play that game because it is totally a waste of time and can really screw you up. I'll identify where perhaps I made bad decisions but I don't try to think what would have been IF I had..... As I get older and older I realize the futility of even thinking about various forks in the road. I've often taken the fork less travelled for my own reasons/needs at that time. I had joy, happiness, sadness, money, no money, I've had such highs and such lows. (no drugs) I've lived a life that was mine. I know that there 'could have been' different ways to go about it but the point is I made my decisions based on my wants/needs at that time. So I will reflect back on my life and I'll enjoy the good with the bad. I am at an age in life that I am glad most of my life is behind me, happy that I'm not just starting out. I'm still learning for sure and I'll continue to make correct and incorrect decisions. I'm a human after all. It's like nobody wins that $50 million tax free lottery and one says to myself, I should have bought a ticket! Well perhaps you would have had a shot at it but its the odds game and I don't want to live what's left based on odds. So be happy with who and what you are, if you have the opportunity and want to change something then do it! Don't fantasize it. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gingerbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about "what if" reminds me of the movie Mr Nobody. The movie explorers multiple versions of a mans life based on his decisions. Starting with which parent he goes to live with at age 9 after they get divorced.

Link

if we are machines
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I engaged in public speaking more often at a much younger age. The thought of it now physically makes me ill. I have turned down many opportunities and it has held me back in my career.

I also wish I went to school to be a teacher. Nothing beats summers off.
Think about it, teachers have no idea what it is like to work in the summer.
Grade school - summers off
High school - summers off
College - summers off
Work - summers off
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hero419 wrote:
I wish I engaged in public speaking more often at a much younger age. The thought of it now physically makes me ill. I have turned down many opportunities and it has held me back in my career.

I also wish I went to school to be a teacher. Nothing beats summers off.
Think about it, teachers have no idea what it is like to work in the summer.
Grade school - summers off
High school - summers off
College - summers off
Work - summers off

If you still think teachers have summers off, you need to talk to a teacher who is serious about their job. My wife gets about six weeks of summer, during which she has work to do, meetings to attend, and she has to take classes to keep her accreditation.

The "summers off" thing rang true at one time, but not anymore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: