Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Bay Window No start
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72VWT2Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

This is my first time posting a question here. I have read through multiple threads and don’t see where anyone is having quite the same issue.
So when I go to start my bus I turn the key to the on position. All dash lights come on as normal. When I turn the switch, the only thing that happens is all the lights on the dash, fuel gauge, etc go out. I then cut the key off and back on and same thing, everything seems to come on. If I try to turn headlights on or anything on while the key is on, everything flickers and cuts off. My battery is testing 12volts. I tried jumping off just to check. I have removed and cleaned both sides of the battery post and and wires. I have removed and cleaned the bus side of the ground wire. I have removed and cleaned the ground strap from the transmission to the bus. I am getting 11ish volts to the coil when I turn the key on. But like I said as soon as I turn the key nothing happens. It doesn’t even attempt to start and I don’t hear any click or anything from the starter. Anything else to test? I am hoping it is not the actual switch that has gone out. Thanks in advance.
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

Test that you have power to your coil when the key is turned on. If no power to coil, no spark from your distributor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

What year is your bus? I suspect your ignition switch

Edit: must be a 72
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound

Last edited by aeromech on Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

welcome.

12 volts at the battery doesn’t tell you much. how many amps it has when starting does. a load test on the battery will tell you.
72VWT2Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

Ry-dog wrote:
Test that you have power to your coil when the key is turned on. If no power to coil, no spark from your distributor.

Yes when I turn the switch on I am g setting power to the coil. But as soon as I turn the key I lose all power to everything until I turn the key off and back on again.
72VWT2Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
What year is your bus? I suspect your ignition switch

Edit: must be a 72

Yes it is a 72. What is the best way to confirm it is in the ignition switch? Also I have read it is near impossible to find a good replacement switch. Any suggestions?
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

What Dodger Tom said. Just because you show 12v doesn't mean that's necessarily so when you turn the key. Load test would be the easiest first thing to check.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

I had a reproduction switch last year on my 71 that did that, I traced wires for 2 days, thinking it couldn't be a new switch at fault.
It was wired wrong from the factory!!!
the 15 terminal has connection only with the key on, not when switched to starter.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

can you manually connect both sides of the coil and get it to spin?

be careful obviously.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

I’ve seen this before. Key on you have coil power. Rotate to start and coil power goes away. A new ignition switch fixed the problem.

Edit: easy test. Make car safe. Turn key on. Jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. If it cranks and lights off it’s the ignition switch.

https://www.busdepot.com/111905865f/
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
72VWT2Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

Nicholas D wrote:
What Dodger Tom said. Just because you show 12v doesn't mean that's necessarily so when you turn the key. Load test would be the easiest first thing to check.

I actually just bought a new battery for another vehicle last week. I pulled it out and put it in the bus this morning. I put the bus battery in my other car just to see. It started up but was barely keeping my new car at idle so I do believe the bus battery is no good.

With the new battery in, it was doing the same thing. I sat there and kept playing with the switch and it finally did turn over for a split second then nothing again. Not enough to start the bus but it did turn starter like I said for just a second.
72VWT2Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I’ve seen this before. Key on you have coil power. Rotate to start and coil power goes away. A new ignition switch fixed the problem.

Edit: easy test. Make car safe. Turn key on. Jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. If it cranks and lights off it’s the ignition switch.

https://www.busdepot.com/111905865f/

I will try this when I get off work and see. I am also not getting lights on dash and power to coil every time I turn switch on either. It may take several attempts to get key to do anything.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

Have someone else turn the key while you check the voltage between the battery posts and also the voltage between the B+ lug on the battery and the engine block. If you haven't done so also clean and maybe replace the transmission ground strap. Every piece of the high amperage wiring has to work correctly for the engine to crank and start.

While it might not fix your present problem, installing a new battery cable and ground straps a size or two larger than stock is often a good way to go and will extend starter and charging system life. On my van I run a cable directly from the negative post on the battery to the engine, thus eliminating the problems associated with the original tranny ground strap.

You can see the negative cable attached to one of the bolts on the fan shroud in this photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Have someone else turn the key while you check the voltage between the battery posts and also the voltage between the B+ lug on the battery and the engine block. If you haven't done so also clean and maybe replace the transmission ground strap. Every piece of the high amperage wiring has to work correctly for the engine to crank and start.

While it might not fix your present problem, installing a new battery cable and ground straps a size or two larger than stock is often a good way to go and will extend starter and charging system life. On my van I run a cable directly from the negative post on the battery to the engine, thus eliminating the problems associated with the original tranny ground strap.

You can see the negative cable attached to one of the bolts on the fan shroud in this photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good idea!

where are you venting your oil filler cap to, and why?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

Speculation says it’s to relieve high breather pressure. Must be vented into the intake system
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bay Window No start Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

Good idea!

where are you venting your oil filler cap to, and why?

I use the cooling fan to blow a small amount of fresh air into the crankcase to lower the relative humidity in the crankcase and thus minimize the buildup of water and gas in the oil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: