Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Swaplogue, general restoration of a '74 bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Engine Swaplogue, general restoration of a '74 bus Reply with quote

This thread is to document my engine swap and hopefully get some tips along the way. I try to be helpful with some of the noobs, and I'm hoping for a little karmic payback here. I'll post some pictures too. Maybe after the engine swap, I'll keep posting the restoration.

The situation: I have a '74 bus...which is the last year of carburation...with a 2 Liter engine equipped with a Weber Progressive. Before ya'll give me a ration of crap about that, this thing is dialed in and ran like a champ. But it blew an exhaust valve miles from home and after pulling a plug and trying to limp it home on 3 cylinders I damaged the engine. Now the engine will run, but has a knock deep down. I can even hear it when I try to start it.

The new engine: I managed to wrangle a very low mile original 2 liter engine by swapping some old beetle parts. I feel fortunate, because my cash flow is less than ideal. The engine turns over, it seems to have good compression and it doesn't have any perceptable end play. It has all the doodads associated with fuel injection. But I have no inclination to retrofit my bus, get a new gas tank, etc. Yeah, I know it would probably be worth it to pursue it, but funds are tight and I'm tired of the bus being parked in my garage.

The complications: The bus hasn't been started in a year and a half. I actually tried to start it tonight, but my battery is shot and my jumper cables were subpar so I couldn't get enough juice to it. For sad, personal reasons, it sat longer than it should have. Another complication is that my garage is packed! We have to store stuff for rental properties in there, and it is like a jenga puzzle in there. Also, I have to do this myself. I'm open to any ideas that outline how I can take the engine out and put the new one in all by myself. I've done smaller engines with my beetles, but never did such a big engine, nor have I messed with a bus. I did recently inherit a really big floor jack, so that will help me. And finally, to make things really difficult, my rear brake freezes up from sitting and it's now frozen.

My plan: My plan is to get a good set of jumper cables and start up the engine. I want to make sure that the current engine runs so I know that my carb, distributor, etc is all dialed in. Yep, the engine will knock, but it should run. Then when I get it running, I'll throw it in reverse and unstick my brakes. Should work...I've done that before. Once I can get the tail end of the bus out of the garage and the brake unstuck, I'll begin the engine swap. I'll first drop the engine, then transfer my carb, intake, and all the electrical stuff over to the new engine. Then I'll install the new engine, set the valves and pray to God that it will start. Only after I get it running will I put on my tins. If it fails, then I fully intend to give up on Type IV engines completely because I've had ridiculously bad luck with them and I'll put a Type I engine in there. I already have the fiberglass tins. But lets plan for success instead of failure and we can open that can of worms if it becomes relevant.

Goals: This has to be a low dollar procedure. No unnecessary expenditures. To stay motivated, I'm setting a deadline. I intend to take my 3 kids camping in it at the beach when school gets out in late May if I have to tow it to the campsite.

Pictures coming tomorrow.

Steve

'55 Oval Survivor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morgoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed, and good vibes sent your way!
AquaBus!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you learned your lesson about trying to limp an engine home- it always costs more than the tow would be. Get AAA plus, drop the motor and go get another, rent a uhaul and a tow dolly... whatever you need to do to not drive a motor in trouble!

Best of luck man. That is a BTDT story for me.

... i remember the days when a bus cost two dollars and you had to push it uphill both ways...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good vibes/luck.

I took a whiff of my gas tank last night and it has a varnish smell. I guess I’ll be emptying the tank first and shopping for a new set of jumper cables.

Here are the promised pix:

Tucked in there good. Jenga! The bug is a '62 ragtop...a perpetual project car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s become a storage area. But at least it’s parked inside.

The old engine…must be taken out:

The donor engine. 40,000 miles original. Really…I saw the bus it came out of.
I won’t be needing all the fuel injection stuff. I live in Florida, so carbs are OK. I was told it ran when they sprayed stuff into the plenum.

'55 Oval Survivor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AquaBus!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it run with the FI?

My thought if the motor was running good when it came out would be to keep the FI- when it runs its great. Keep your old carb in case it develops issues down the road, but from my own type iv trials that weber will cost you 2-3 MPG over solex carbs, maybe more over FI, and gas prices are only going one way....

If the FI is bad thats another story altogether.

... i remember the days when a bus cost two dollars and you had to push it uphill both ways...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AquaBus! wrote:
Did it run with the FI?

My thought if the motor was running good when it came out would be to keep the FI- when it runs its great. Keep your old carb in case it develops issues down the road, but from my own type iv trials that weber will cost you 2-3 MPG over solex carbs, maybe more over FI, and gas prices are only going one way....

If the FI is bad thats another story altogether.

All I know about it is my buddy bought a bus in really good shape that was parked for a good long time. Had just over 40,000 miles on the odometer. The original owner was deceased (old age) and the rest of the estate was settled, so there was no way to get it titled here in Florida so it was sold as junk. The bus had an amazing interior but surface rust from sitting a long, long time. My buddy who sold it to me got the engine to run by spraying either gas or starter fluid in the plenum but didn't know...or want to know...how to take it any further. Not a lot of interest in fuel injection VWs here locally. So I traded him some Oval parts for it that I had laying around. It has great compression and no endplay, and no clunking when they ran it, so its a decent bottom end.

I only know about Fuel injections from a crash course on my Mercedes when I had to fix it and learned one of my two fuel pumps was bad. The '74 doesn't have the right kind of gas tank, and I'd have to go back for more parts that I didn't get, (if that bus is even still there). The '74 was carburated when it was new...last year of carbs. Like I say, I just want to get it on the road. Maybe I could save 2 or 3 mpg, but I'd be giving up precious time and $$$ that I could use on important stuff (to me) like an interior. I can honestly say that I got better than 19mpg on my old engine when it was running. I calculated it. I don't know who jetted my carb but they did an excellent job and I will post the info here as a "great" combination for the Weber Progressive because it really works well. Probably helps that I live in Florida so warmup temps aren't as important here. When (not if) I get this running, I'll post some mileage numbers for future reference for Sambanistas.

Steve

'55 Oval Survivor
AquaBus!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my weber progressive was in Vermont. I wrapped copper wire to the manifold bends and then wrapped them around the heater boxes to keep them from icing up.

Guess things are different down south.

I would go back and get all I could from the donor once you get that bus running- those parts are great for swapping later.

bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where in fl are you?
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where in fl are you?
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tallahassee.

Thanks for the tips. Right now I'm trying to find time to drain the gas tank and jumpstart my bus.

Steve

'55 Oval Survivor
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress: I have some time to work on the bus this weekend (wife out of town) Smile . I jumped the gun and tried to do a little tonight. I bought my jumper cables and hooked it up to my bus. then I rolled that stupid fridge out of the way...I plan to put it up for sale on craigslist for next to nothing so I have more room to move around. Then I moved all the other stuff out of the way so that if I started it, I could throw it in reverse and unfreeze the rear wheel. Put some gas conditioner into the tank and some fresh gas in the carb and tried to start it. Kept trying. Kept trying....nothing.

Finally, I called one of my kids outside to turn the key so I could check spark. Nothing there. The distributor was loose. Must have messed with it right before I moth-balled the bus. I'll reset the points and try again tomorrow. It should start and I should be able to unfreeze that brake...it did seem to try to start one time...like maybe the points were flopping around or something.

Hey, at least I got to honk the horn and turn on the flashers and see the bus in a somewhat life-like state. This will happen.

Steve

'55 Oval Survivor
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why even dick around trying to get it started? Get a buddy with a big pickup or van, hook a chain up and drag that baby out. Give him a beer or 3 and its a win win. Times a wastin!
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin77westy wrote:
Why even dick around trying to get it started? Get a buddy with a big pickup or van, hook a chain up and drag that baby out. Give him a beer or 3 and its a win win. Times a wastin!

I'm elimating variables. Even if the brake wasn't frozen, I still need to start it. Once I get it running, I will know that the carb, intake, etc. is in good shape for the swap-over. That way if I get it all on there and my new engine doesn't start, I'll know the new engine doesn't run because of a mistake I made in the swap over, and not gum in the carb or a bad coil, etc. that is preventing it from starting.

Also, I'll probably re-sell the "old" bottom end as a rebuildable core with good used heads. I plan to make a video of the engine running (but knocking) so my would-be buyer will not be hesitant about opening their wallet for it. Funds I can use on building a custom interior and paint.

Steve

'55 Oval Survivor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: