Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official start of whats to be a nice baja
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well last night I fried damned near everything in my harness. Someone wired up my new electric oil cooler and routed it poorly (not to the standards that I have demonstrated) and it was cut by some sheet metal. It shorted out everything. Looks like I'll have to replace my custom harness.

On another note, I finally got a tach installed (pictures soon). In addition
To replacing my wiring job (sonuvabitch) I'll be replacing my Spanish weber 44 with a Spanish weber 40.
So, possibly, I'll have. 44 for sale excluding the center mount.

My '66 Baja Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456365

Free from the evils of facebook Dec 2012. No other Social Media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the only picture that I have to upload, I could do more if people want.

Anyways, here's a sectional of my dash, completed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

I have to finish a contract job before I can get around to my car so it'll be around a week before I can get around to fixing my car up. In the meantime I'll be driving my dads 74 chevy pick up Crying or Very sad That beast gets 10 mpg on a good day.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmiller95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to suck. Hey, atleast you know where everything goes and not from scratch Very Happy

My Rail Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427627

My Baja Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466974
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really taken a close inspection at everything but I think I've determined that that it's only the harness going from front to rear, everything else is fine which is good.
There's I believe only 17 wires going from front to rear so it's not horrible.

cmiller95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes life a little easier. Hope it goes easily

wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Phil, at least you won't have any trouble figuring it out. Don't you just love having to redo things? How are the temps there in Tucson? You are probably a little cooler than Phoenix, right?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain! I've been trying to get my baja going again for the last month. I got delayed by a leaky head, and while that was off I found a broken piston. Then I had to wait on parts, and someone to help me get it off the bench and in the car. To top it off, finally get the damn thing in and hook up the battery, and boom instant smoke. It appears the hot lead from the battery to alternator was pinched between the engine and firewall and in my haste to get the damn thing started, I neglected to find it and hook it up! I got lucky and it was just that single wire that cooked. Never liked the way I had it wired anyway, so I got to re-do it right at least Laughing

Still havnt driven the thing, got the carbs all tuned up and then the fuel pump quit Evil or Very Mad
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I apologize for taking so long to get back. I've been in the process of moving out and working 50 or so hours a week for the last few weeks so I hadn't even noticed.

wbrown45, the temps until this week were getting exceedingly hot for Tucson. A few days ago it got up to about 108, which is on our high side. This week is much cooler because of this rain thats coming in. I think I saw the weather say its not going to peak 100 all week. Shocked
Also, for replacing stuff, I HATE IT Evil or Very Mad I had probably the nicest wiring job around these parts and the one thing that wasn't done by my dad (my dad and I wired the car. He actually figured out how to wire it, I just helped) messes up the whole damned thing. SHEEEEEEEET. Not cool man. Not cool lol.

Bashr52:
Man, I truly am sorry for you. that sucks more then my scenario. I'd be pissed. Truly pissed. I would just give up. Hold in there, you'll get it back on the road soon.
Right now since my bug is my DD, I'm driving my dads truck. God, it's draining my money supplies quickly. At 10 MPG, I'm about ready to kill myself Laughing

So, I'm just getting ready to finish up this contract job with my dad and then we can take a looksie at my car. After that, we'll be waiting about two weeks for him to get paid so he can pay me and then I'll be getting my car going.

I WILL be taking photos this time of the re-wire, my new carb (even though everyone knows what a weber IDF 40 is) my electric oil cooler, possibly some new aux driving lights to replace my tractor floods and some driver side floor work.

The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
So this past monday my dad and I were finally able to get working on my car. Monday-Tuesday consisted of rewiring and about 200 bucks for new supplies. Shocked Wednesday-Thursday consisted of me doing pan work, and today, well today is kind of an off day, I hope Very Happy Here's some pictures for you guys. (I know right, for once I actually took pictures Laughing )

Here is the start of my new custom harness. The list is a mapped out harness from the previous wiring job that labels each wire color to points of destination, gauge, and length.

If you look closely, you'll notice two red wires hanging out of the harness. Those are for the starter and battery leads.

Here we've got the harness pulled up front and are getting ready for the rear and have pulled out those two red wires out of the loom.

This here is the last of the wiring, where I had to transplant all of the bottom wires to my new terminal block. That was fun. Sadly, I haven't got a new finished terminal block picture but can get one if any of you want..

And then there's the pan work... pictures will be up later. my computer is running SLOW

The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay fellas, here's some more pictures.

I started with a regular pan which had some serious stress cracks and holes that were drilled into it from people prior to me.
Here's the start:

Different angle, with the seat rails cut out.

Cut out the heater channel tube thingy micjigger Wink Laughing

Seat rails cut out on the both sides in preparation for new setup, not sure why the seat brace is in there, but it is.

New patch plate tacked in, I didn't get a picture of the finish weld, but it's not too late yet.

This is the bar which the seat lever grabs to, to tilt the passenger seat and lock.

More finished pictures of the seat metal fab work coming in the next few days.
I'll also be making a custom rear box so there will be pictures on that. the rear deck will be cleaned, finished out, carpeted, my speaker box will be installed, the back 1/4 windows will be stripped of the crap tint, and then it'll be finished for awhile. Might do some fender repairs.

thext94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking awesome, great work!
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tyler. I wish I could take the credit. But I can't. My dad did the metal work, I just prepped it for him.

I forgot to mention the tubing is 1.5" 95 wall steel. A little more then what was needed, but it's what my buggy shop had and what I ended up stealing form him Very Happy

the brackets are from bugpack, and that single cylinder thing is "custom" made by my dad as a fourth mount because the seats I have never had that so it would leave that corner to flex a little bit. Rolling Eyes

thext94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phil wrote:
Thanks Tyler. I wish I could take the credit. But I can't. My dad did the metal work, I just prepped it for him.

Still very cool, its a great way to learn
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its been a crazy long time since I've even been here on Samba but I have some minor news for progress on the baja, and then some big news.

I've had to park the bug in the garage for a few months to get some other stuff situated. I was recently able to get started on it again and I'm just getting ready to lay down new glass on my pan after I finish cleaning the snot out of it. There will be pictures of laying the glass, dont worry. once I get some progress rolling, it ought to go quick as long as the money holds.

So, after a very long, and tough debate with myself over this topic, it looks like once I finish the car to be more "presentable," I'll be selling her. Crying or Very sad
I've come to the conclusion that 1: I really need the money. 2: as much as I love my baby girl, she's a money trap for what I want to do with her, and its just ergonomically wrong for me to be with her. Wink
I'm hoping that someday I'll be able to get back into the offroad scene with a decent low-mid travel 4 seater desert rail (WP or AC is still undecided).

Well, I'll keep you guys posted.

tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phil wrote:
Well last night I fried damned near everything in my harness. Someone wired up my new electric oil cooler and routed it poorly (not to the standards that I have demonstrated) and it was cut by some sheet metal. It shorted out everything. Looks like I'll have to replace my custom harness.

Holy crap thank God it didn't burn down your baja!
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
The Phil wrote:

Holy crap thank God it didn't burn down your baja!

I was probably within 30 seconds of my car lighting up, In a McDonalds parking lot where I pulled over after my car shorted. Embarassed

Well, I have to put off progress. Since I haven't got a garage to put my bug in I have to put off glass work on the floor. It's too cold for the epoxy I'll be using so I'm in a dead spot for a bit.
I need for it to be at least over 60 degrees F to do any good work. Thankfully in Tucson, it's only a few more short weeks away Very Happy

The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm finally doing the glass work on my floor.
I know it's been months. I haven't been around for awhile.
My bug is now my primary driver yet again. I wrecked my truck two weeks ago so I suppose it's good thing I wasn't able to sell my bug otherwise I'd be really screwed.
I'll get some pictures up soon when I get back to a computer and off my phone.

Carry on fellow samba goers.

The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The official start of whats to be a nice baja Reply with quote

Hey all, it's been a really long time since I've even browsed samba. I've missed a lot.

A few highlights of what's happened;
my 1641 has been upgraded to a hot little 1776. Stage 1 clutch, Engle 110 cam, Weber 40 carburetor, rockers, springs, lifters, lightened flywheel to start off.

My baja is no longer my DD, thus allowing me to put work into it more readily now, finances allowing.

The big update is that I recently just picked up a double plate IRS transmission with stub axles and starter for $100! SO EXCITED. So, first off, it goes to my local mechanic at BugsNBuggies to have a transmission tear down. Then at some point my dad and I will start the long and hard transformation from a swing axle to IRS. I think that for now, until I can afford the 3x3 setup, I'll just stay stock...
Oh, and a buddy of mine at work (a rock crawler) has told me that he has some Bilstein 14" shocks that he would sell me for dirt cheap. gotta see if they would even fit first.

Will post as progress is made.

cmiller95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: The official start of whats to be a nice baja Reply with quote

Great to hear that youre still making progress! Cant wait to see the photos!

1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The official start of whats to be a nice baja Reply with quote

Glad you are back and the Baja lives!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: