Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2WD Limited Slip Experience
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

I had a Peloquin installed last year with my auto-trans rebuild and FINALLY had an experience worth mentioning (the van didn't see much use last year).

Driving down a wet "gumbo" (aka sticky smectite clay) type of off-camber 2-track we were moving along just fine until I started to notice the front of the van being generally unresponsive. Hmmm, better think about this. Drove a little further and sure enough steering was sketchy as mud had caked into the tire treads (BFG KOs at 40 psi) and any amount of braking would cause the front of the van to slide sideways downhill and steering didn't really do squat.

After backing uphill and choosing a different, flatter, 2-track, I turned the steering wheel nearly full lock and after moving forward about 4 feet, the front wheels finally touched the grass outside of the ruts and grabbed with vigor.

The whole time forward and backward motion was completely perfect. I'm sure my OEM trans would have been spinning a back wheel before I noticed the steering issue, and definitely would have struggled while backing uphill or pushing the van out of the ruts.

I'm happy I went with the TBD.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

We've used ours full-time for 14 months now and it had to come from God.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

Hah! Love mine.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
E1 wrote:

Hah! Love mine.

Absolutely! Its one of the best things I've done to the van. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

General comments about a Peloquin:
-- Surreal on mountain dirt and rock
-- Sublime on even deep sand (sometimes needs throttle modulation)
-- Sticks itself quickly into deep alluvial gravel
( or so a little friend tells me...)

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

A no brainer if considering a trans rebuild. I love mine, it has gotten me out of what would have been a jam if I hadn’t sprung for it.
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

Well, after 2 years with my peloquin tbd, it looks like I am the only one that isn't really happy with it... The tbd only works if both wheels are firmly touching the ground, so even for light offroad it's almost useless, because with a lift kit, you don't have a lot of articulation, and everytime one of the wheels lifts just a litlle bit, I am stuck. Even using the handbrake it's almost always impossible to move, and it doesn't matter if it's the right or left wheel that I need to move in order to keep movimg...

Maybe I had bad luck, since everyone talks wonders, about it...

Someone with any advice or trick to help me? BTW my van as a 1.9TDI, so torque is not the problem... I have some video to ilustrate my problem,
if needed Smile
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

I'd like to see the videos.

If you accelerate (from stopped) in a tight turn does it lock? For example turning from a stop sign.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

When tight turning, as long as the road is flat, the van will drift with ease, so the TBD does is thing. But usually, roads with tight turns are mountain roads, and thats when it simply doesn't work, as soon as the inside wheel looses the ground, traction is gone. I knew before buying it thata TBD doens't work when one wheel is completely free, but I also expected that just a touch on the handbrake would engage it, and that doens't happen most of the time.
It really feels like our Peloquin allows more slip than it should... Let me uopload something Wink
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

I agree it isn't a miracle worker and the handbrake "trick" doesn't really work. It takes too much force on the brake to do anything. If you stop in a culvert with a rear wheel off the ground, you won't be able to hand brake your way out of it. I tried that for fun the first trip out. On a level dirt road with a diagonal drainage across the road, I stopped with on rear wheel in the depression and could not more forward or backwards and had to get out and put a rock under the wheel.

But normally, you can either roll forward or roll back and then try again. You don't usually get stopped on a level spot. If you had a hand brake for each rear wheel, you could probably use the hand brake "trick" effectively.

The Pelogquin makes a world of difference on grass and is amazing in sand. You do need weight on both wheels and you need some traction, so sand traction is very good. But only compared to an open diff. It is still easy to get stuck and the slicker the surface the worse it is.

It is a traction multiplier and I think that is the best way to describe it. It applies up to 5 times the torque of the loose wheel to the other side, but 5 times zero is still zero. On an icy parking lot, 5 times almost nothing, just makes both wheels spin. So the key to getting the most out of the Peloquin is having the right tires for the situation. Winter tires on ice make a difference as do All Terrain tires for gravel and dirt trails.

I went from a Peloquin to a Syncro Transaxle and the Peloquin was good for some situations. But even 2 locked rear wheels has a lot of limitations for climbing rocky trails in a 2wd. And for the extra cost of $1000 if you need a rebuild anyway, it is a decent upgrade. The disappearing syncro transaxles are not an afforable option anymore. You would probably spend at least $5K to put a syncro transaxle in a 2wd now.

What tires are you using? And maybe the lift you have is too stiff and not keeping your treads on the ground.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

Anyone running stock tires with a TBD is missing most of the effect. Wide tires really add to the traction, the stock rubber would sink in sand or mud but the fat tires really float. The extra confidence really gives me a “go anywhere” attitude. All I really need to watch out for is to not get one wheel off the ground. I've been extremely happy with the upgrade after 3 years and driving every kind of surface. I totally lost my desire for a Syncro!
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
If you accelerate (from stopped) in a tight turn does it lock? For example turning from a stop sign.

Never did for me, even with manual steering. However, when I had the manual steering spindles the rear end would get slightly ‘grabby’ on gravel, when turning the tightest radius and applying power. When I put the power steering spindles on, the grabbiness stopped, as judged from driving exactly the same gravel curve. As you may know, the power steering spindles have a slighty larger turning radius.
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

I have the lift kit from Brickwerks, which is, as far as know, not so heavy duty as the GoWesty ones, so it's better for light vans.. But our van is a tintop, so the suspension is near top limit when unloaded, and that makes offroad hard because it's very easy to lift one wheel of the ground... Guess I was expecting to much from it...

We have 205/70/15 Wrangler AT/SA fitted...

I've been wondering about the individual handbrake for more than a year, but still didn't design something that won't use a lot of space in the cabin, or be intrusive when using the handbrake for normal parking...

Here I have edited some of the offroad we did last year, but only the good parts where we didn't get stuck Laughing Laughing it's possible to see the TBD working in some cases, but look closely to the last part, where both wheels are on the ground but since it was very slippery, the TBD didn't engage, and that's exactly the situations where I feel frustated with it

https://youtu.be/YfEiIXJLqWo
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

It looks like your van has an aftermarket stabilizer bar on the front. Items that increase on-road stability can greatly diminish off-road traction.

Vilas69 wrote:
but look closely to the last part, where both wheels are on the ground but since it was very slippery, the TBD didn't engage, and that's exactly the situations where I feel frustated with it

Please tell me the M:MM of these events you are referring to where the Peloquin did not lock.
At the end, (of your GREAT video !) 2:50 the Peloquin was certainly locked as both wheels were slipping.
There is no differential or locker that can provide more traction than what is shown at 2:50. A true Torque Biasing Differential (Torsen) could divide torque better, and perhaps offer more traction by adhesion if driving up slowly (but NOT with both wheels spinning/slipping). The Peloquin simply "locks" in a crude way (like the OEM Syncro locker) it doesn't bias torque.

Side-note: A Peloquin is not really a TBD. You could perhaps say "it's LIKE a TBD 'cuz it's full of worms instead of spiders". But TBD means that the differential "biases torque" whereas the Peloquin does NOT bias torque (but maybe a little in a condition where both wheels have almost equal traction). You could call the Peloquin a TLD (Torque Locking Differential) or perhaps an "Ever so Slightly Torque Biasing Differential" (ESSTBD). Wink

Weddle calls it an "ATB" Automatic Torque Biasing (does it bias torque? ...or just lock?) https://weddleindustries.com/product/1004202

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:49 am; edited 6 times in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
It looks like your van has an aftermarket stabilizer bar on the front. Items that increase on-road stability can greatly diminish off-road traction.

A bit disappointed to read this.

Even on 2WD? For loss of chassis flex?

— Colin Chapman
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
At the end, (of your GREAT video !) 2:50 the Peloquin was certainly locked as both wheels were slipping.

I agree. But it is nice to see someone out in the really slippery stuff. Not much you can do, you are fighting weight and slime with momentum and 2 tires. Airing down a lot almost doubles the contact patch of the tire on the ground. Maybe some mud terrain tires for your next set would be a good experiment. It does seem like your lift may be a little too high but I doubt it is hurting traction too much, just looks close to topping out in some places.

Do you carry recovery gear with you. A strong tow hook added to the front and a hand winch would be a nice recovery gear item. I had an 8,000 lb come-along that came in handy several times with my 2wd Peloquin. It sucked to have to use it, but it would have sucked worse without it. I bought another hand winch for my Syncro, but I haven't needed it yet. Ever since I got stuck on a beach with the nearest tree well out of range, I carry a 100 foot amsteel blue synthtic winch line too. And sand mats too. And tire chains.
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Vilas69 wrote:
but look closely to the last part, where both wheels are on the ground but since it was very slippery, the TBD didn't engage, and that's exactly the situations where I feel frustated with it

Please tell me the M:MM of these events you are referring to where the Peloquin did not lock.

Thank you for you answer! The front stabilizer bar is the original one, but I have Powerflex in almost every joint... The van goes really great on road, with much faster cornering speed possible even with lift kit and AT tires, and the gearbox was completely rebuild with longer final drive, which allows the TDI to cruise effortlessly at 120km/h or more than 70ml/h, so the first gear is also longer than it should for offroading.

At 2:48 the left wheel starts spinning at high revs, it takes a lot for the Peloquin to lock the right wheel, then it works until it stops again 2:51 and the van revs until the limiter (wife is crazy lol) with only the left wheel spinning and smoking, which means is probably sliding over a rock, so not completely free... Makes no sense to me, and it happens a lot in this kind of situation...
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Sodo wrote:

I agree. But it is nice to see someone out in the really slippery stuff. Not much you can do, you are fighting weight and slime with momentum and 2 tires. Airing down a lot almost doubles the contact patch of the tire on the ground. Maybe some mud terrain tires for your next set would be a good experiment. It does seem like your lift may be a little too high but I doubt it is hurting traction too much, just looks close to topping out in some places.

Do you carry recovery gear with you. A strong tow hook added to the front and a hand winch would be a nice recovery gear item. I had an 8,000 lb come-along that came in handy several times with my 2wd Peloquin. It sucked to have to use it, but it would have sucked worse without it. I bought another hand winch for my Syncro, but I haven't needed it yet. Ever since I got stuck on a beach with the nearest tree well out of range, I carry a 100 foot amsteel blue synthtic winch line too. And sand mats too. And tire chains.

Since we were stranded in a big mud hole, I try to keep 5T ratchet straps and sand mats in the van, but no winch for now... Also I'm building some metal grabbers to strap on the tires nothing else works...
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

Vilas69 wrote:
At 2:48 the left wheel starts spinning at high revs, it takes a lot for the Peloquin to lock the right wheel, then it works until it stops again 2:51 and the van revs until the limiter (wife is crazy lol) with only the left wheel spinning and smoking, which means is probably sliding over a rock, so not completely free... Makes no sense to me, and it happens a lot in this kind of situation...

In the video it looks like both wheels are spinning (locked). It's hard to be sure in the video. But you are saying that one of the wheels has stopped?
I think if one wheel smokes the other has to be stopped.
(as you say Shocked ).

Also, are you CERTAIN that a Peloquin is installed in this van? If you lift two wheels off the ground (with a jack at center)
and with transmission in neutral,
and turn one wheel,
does the other wheel turn same or opposite?

Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD Limited Slip Experience Reply with quote

I've slowed down the video and the right wheel definitely stops, as it happens when the other wheel is in the air, which is not...

Other problem when doing offroad with a Peloquin is that you need to use your momentum to pass some stuff, otherwise if you go slowly, like usual when offroading, you will loose traction when a wheel lifts from the ground, and that makes it much more uncomfortable and risky, and the probability of damaging something is higher...

Yes, the Peloquin was installed for sure, by Aidan Talbot, great guy to deal with. Both wheels rotate in the same direction, and it is way harder to rotate one wheel with the other on the ground than with a open diff... Also, you can see it working like it should in the video, for example at 1:12.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: