Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

So, I've tried a few different blue foils, including a perfect looking one from mtnhome (thanks dude!) nothing seems to be working out like I had hoped.

So, sometime within the next couple pay checks, I want to order a new replacement. I've been reading folks opinions and reviews of the various options and many of them were written a few years ago or are brand new. Before I drop anywhere from $100-200 on this piece of electronics, I'm curious what folks who have had them for a while think about theirs and the other options out there.

GOWESTY
Cluster Master
SlowbridgeInnovation

Prices are all pretty similar but I don't know what's going to be best.

Any thoughts and opinions are wicked appreciated. Thank you

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

I'm waiting for that new one posted last week........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

I've installed a couple of the vanagon.org ones, and like them. Nice and simple, easy to install, and cheaper than others. No problems after a few years of use.

https://www.vanagon.org/products/instrument-cluster-foil-repair-kit
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

My GoWesty replacem...ent kit has been awesome, total improvement, two thumbs up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=763460&highlight=blue+foil

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

If you have tried more than one replacement, are you sure the foil is the issue? Did all the replacements exhibit the same problems? What on your dash is not working?
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
If you have tried more than one replacement, are you sure the foil is the issue? Did all the replacements exhibit the same problems? What on your dash is not working?

I've been messing with different foils and different clusters. some in better shape than others. my friend "loaned" me a mint 84 Wolfsburg cluster and it works perfectly, I'd rather just give it back to him though because he has already hooked me up with so much.

I've been trying to rig inappropriate or incompatible foils is what the problem is. The foil on the van when I bought it worked, but was falling apart, had wires modded/soldered onto it etc. Stopped working when I tried to put in new bulbs.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=763460&highlight=blue+foil

I saw that post the day it came out. thanks for reposting this link as it shows others experiences with different replacements. oh the choices.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: whats your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

Christopholi wrote:
I've installed a couple of the vanagon.org ones, and like them. Nice and simple, easy to install, and cheaper than others. No problems after a few years of use.

https://www.vanagon.org/products/instrument-cluster-foil-repair-kit

this is the route i went and i'm a happy camper.

BiWerks Design, LLC
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

I did the Vanagon.org unit years ago, and have been happy. Plus, I LOVE supporting small businesses catering to us.
The big upside to going with one of these hardwired looms; you get to lose that mad skill you never wanted to develop in the 1st place, of soldering the foil traces back together...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

i have the vanagon.org/clustermasters kit.

wasn't a fan of the non-replaceable soldered in place illumination LED's so i cut them off and installed my own (i thought the hue of the LED's was a bit purple-ish)

the high beam indicator was a bit over the top bright, so i did this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=756379&highlight=foil

beyond that, it's a nice kit

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TrashPanda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

Just installed the one from Slaughterhouse Customs (UK) and I really like it, so far. Well thought out, plug and play, no soldering, replaceable gauge light LEDs. Requires a bit of fiddling and filing for the fuel gauge, but otherwise very simple to install. Expensive to ship, but it fixed my issues, so I call it a win.

That said, after seeing member Geato's work, posted last week, I would wait and probably buy theirs. Such amazing craftsmanship.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i have the vanagon.org/clustermasters kit.

wasn't a fan of the non-replaceable soldered in place illumination LED's so i cut them off and installed my own (i thought the hue of the LED's was a bit purple-ish)

the high beam indicator was a bit over the top bright, so i did this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=756379&highlight=foil

beyond that, it's a nice kit

I was leaning toward the cluster master but read about your debacle and am having 2nd and 3rd thoughts. those LEDs being no replaceable seems incredibly counterintuitive.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

TrashPanda wrote:
Just installed the one from Slaughterhouse Customs (UK) and I really like it, so far. Well thought out, plug and play, no soldering, replaceable gauge light LEDs. Requires a bit of fiddling and filing for the fuel gauge, but otherwise very simple to install. Expensive to ship, but it fixed my issues, so I call it a win.

That said, after seeing member Geato's work, posted last week, I would wait and probably buy theirs. Such amazing craftsmanship.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I saw this but unfortunately in this regard, I'm driving an 85

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the 85 Wolfburg has the same connector wiring as the 86 and up. It just doesn't have the oil pressure buzzer. so you'd need the later cluster repair kit anyway. That's what I did with the Slowbridge kit. I just didn't use the oil buzzer connectors. Also, for the same price as the ClusterMaster, you get a new LED clock. The plug looks like a good fit as well.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the 85 Wolfburg has the same connector wiring as the 86 and up. It just doesn't have the oil pressure buzzer. so you'd need the later cluster repair kit anyway. That's what I did with the Slowbridge kit. I just didn't use the oil buzzer connectors. Also, for the same price as the ClusterMaster, you get a new LED clock. The plug looks like a good fit as well.

I'm looking at the slow bridge kit and it looks pretty solid. unfortunately, right now the kit with a clock is out of stock. looks like I'll be waiting a while. you've been a big help, man

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:

I was leaning toward the cluster master but read about your debacle and am having 2nd and 3rd thoughts. those LEDs being no replaceable seems incredibly counterintuitive.

don't know that i would call it a debacle, the high beam LED was kind of a known issue. even though they toned it down, it was still a bit on the bright side. the bulb condom worked 100% and is dam near factory now.

i was surprised at the illumination LED's being permanent. i mean they were "replaceable" but soldered into place. it wasn't a huge deal, i had the proper bulb holders here but it was still a pain in the ass having to 'modify' a brand new part.

i looked at the slow bridge unit. looks nice, no doubt and the clock is neat, but i didn't like the color of the clock

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

In agreement with Skills, high beam was a wee bit brilliant. But, getting a bunch of those condoms he pointed to, Jacksonville?,, OH WOW. I bought a bunch of all their different LED condoms, and, after spending a bunch of time in a darkened garage, Wow! Those condoms are GREAT!! My dash console lights look great, unlike the rest of my van..
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

[quote="skills@eurocarsplus"]
Mckinleyvillian wrote:

i looked at the slow bridge unit. looks nice, no doubt and the clock is neat, but i didn't like the color of the clock

You can get the clock in either white or blue text color. I wasn't keen on the blue so ordered white
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's your rundown on different blue foil replacements? Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:

I was leaning toward the Custer Master but read about your debacle and am having 2nd and 3rd thoughts. those LEDs being non replaceable seems incredibly counterintuitive.

Have any of your warning LEDs (oil pressure, alternator, high beam, or O2) ever burned out? They're 30 years old. The whole point of LEDs is they last far longer than your dog or cat. Don't worry about it as by then the foil replacement 17G will be out, cheap and easily installed long before your LEDs in the Cluster Master will fail. By then the entire cluster will be 1/4" thick and an electronic display with more info than you currently have. Air cooled will have clocks, temp gauges, inside and out temp, RPM, wads of other stuff and choice of analog or digital readouts with verbal commands while driving. Brighteness will be adjusted by saying "Brighter" or "Dimmer". The Back to the Future car responding to "Start" will seem like a joke.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: