Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for the perfect buggy exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
VolkswagenGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post a few questions here as this seems to be the most comprehensive exhaust thread I have found here..

I am going to add a baffle to my tri-mil sidewinder exhaust.
This baffle:
http://www.mooreparts.com/store/product/1043/Baffle-Trimil-Stinger/

Its sounds great wide open and all but over a long drive.. huh what?
Did you say something.. .. so I am hoping the baffle wil help some?

Shall I tack weld it in place inside tube?.. or slip it into exhaust then drill a pilot hole and tap some threads and possibly a allen head BOLT to hold the baffle into tube??
Will the thickness of the pipe combined with the thickness of the baffle insert lip be enough to hold threads??
Or... tack weld a small NUT into baffle lip and secure with a bolt.. same concept as above.. just more threads right?

Side note.. I have a ceramic exhaust and certanly dont want to mess up the finish..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't weld on the header if you value the finish.

I have used stainless steel rivots in the past with good results. Typically three around the perimeter. This way they can be drilled out and the baffel removed if so desired.

My drag race header had screws holding some parts together and they would need to be tightened every few passes due to vibration. I was turning 8500 rpm, but, over time, on the street it would suck to loose the screw(s) and the baffel shoot out/get ruined.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolkswagenGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea.. I didnt think of rivits..
Vilem43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this discussion, and have a question. I saw where andk5591 had dual cannons with glass-wrapped baffles and they were loud. Was that loudness with the glass wrapping?
I'm running dual cannons and been told wrapping the baffles in fiberglass or steel wool would tone them down some. I'm not after quiet, just want to tone them down a bit. Does this work, and will it do any harm to the engine?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glass wraps help until they blow out. I was getting muffler wrap from motorcycle shops.
Gonna have to remember to take a pic of what I finally ended up with on of these days. And honestly, if performance is the concern, you dont run dual canons anyway.

Also, it depends on what kind of baffles you are using. I got inserts with a perforated tub down the center and wrapped the oustide with the muffler wrap. Took the edge off the exhaust note.

See the thing is that if I cant have a conversation with the person next to me without screaming, its too loud. And after an hour or more, my ears just get fatigued.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vilem43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like what you did is exactly what I'm after: Just want to tone it down a bit so conversation would be a bit easier than it is now.

Is what you bought at a motorcycle show simply called "muffler wrap" and am I assuming correctly you wrapped the baffle, not the outside of the cannon? And, about how long did it last till it burned out?

I'd love to see your pictures
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - wrap the baffle with "muffler wrap" - its like a fiberglass sheet. Secure it with some wire. Lasted a few months.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider adding a clamp-on Supertrapp disc-only series baffle with 12-14 discs to slightly baffle the noise...

Like this > http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperTrapp-Disc-Only-Muffl...0940506689

bryan
GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As old as this thread is, it's a great discussion on buggy exhaust options. I wanted to add my experience/opinion to this great list for others to consider. My buggy was a sand rail, but this information would still work on a fiberglass buggy as well.

I was and still am dead set on using dual exhaust for looks and engine access. I couldn't care less about the claimed "power loss". I more than made up for this elsewhere anyway.

At some point in the 90's I think it was, Oregon added sound restrictions for riding in the dunes. I tried a number of different configurations, including the Supertrapp clamp-on "Disc-only" option that didget69 posted above (I used the larger 5" version, and I think I had it welded on though). This sounded great in my opinion and almost made it quiet enough to be legal. For me however, the problem was the additional weight and length. When riding wheelies the Supertrapps would dig into the sand.

The next and best option I tried, was what pitcrew posted above but without the crossover pipes. I simply bought a new set of dual glasspacks, cut off the mufflers and welded on the Supertrapp mufflers (black version). I then added additional clamps to hold the exhaust better during the rough ride. This was by far the best set up I ever used, and I eventually sold the buggy with this still on it over 10 years later.

Here is a picture of the dual Supertrapp mufflers installed. I wish I had a better/closer view of the exhaust, but don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dexter69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fricken sweet buggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GreenImp wrote:
As old as this thread is, it's a great discussion on buggy exhaust options. I wanted to add my experience/opinion to this great list for others to consider. My buggy was a sand rail, but this information would still work on a fiberglass buggy as well.

I was and still am dead set on using dual exhaust for looks and engine access. I couldn't care less about the claimed "power loss". I more than made up for this elsewhere anyway.

At some point in the 90's I think it was, Oregon added sound restrictions for riding in the dunes. I tried a number of different configurations, including the Supertrapp clamp-on "Disc-only" option that didget69 posted above (I used the larger 5" version, and I think I had it welded on though). This sounded great in my opinion and almost made it quiet enough to be legal. For me however, the problem was the additional weight and length. When riding wheelies the Supertrapps would dig into the sand.

The next and best option I tried, was what pitcrew posted above but without the crossover pipes. I simply bought a new set of dual glasspacks, cut off the mufflers and welded on the Supertrapp mufflers (black version). I then added additional clamps to hold the exhaust better during the rough ride. This was by far the best set up I ever used, and I eventually sold the buggy with this still on it over 10 years later.

Here is a picture of the dual Supertrapp mufflers installed. I wish I had a better/closer view of the exhaust, but don't.

fRDD
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior55 wrote:

I always like to post my homemade quads when someone looks for
options to duals.
Performance loss ?
I invite you to test drive these to find it.

would love to see more pics of this buggy
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to throw this in so the info will be there for anyone following the thread.. For fans of the dual cannons, dual exhaust etc, someone now makes a stainless set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-air-cooled-Buggy-dual-e..._958wt_918
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
... and I hate the 2-bolt muffler flange. Mine are warped...

bnc

Another way around the warped flange thing is to double up the flange, order some extra flanges and run a solid bead around the outer edge of two them, then sand the weld back smooth.. I've been doing it for years on both VW stuff and the old Mopars that used a flat two-bolt flange and never had one warp after that.. (yeah I know that post was over two years old, but some people like me still look them up for useful info Smile )
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donbarnes wrote:
I'm just going to throw this in so the info will be there for anyone following the thread.. For fans of the dual cannons, dual exhaust etc, someone now makes a stainless set:

Dang, that is a cheap price for SS!

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone pointed out on a different thread, shipping is $99, but that still leaves you only $260 in a complete stainless exhaust if you like duals and if the quality is any good....
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donbarnes wrote:

I looked at that those recently when shopping for exhaust for my neighbors buggy.. She wants a "shiney motor".....
She wanted another chrome set which I talked her out of, really was contimplating the stainless ones from China on ebay. I asked the seller, and they claim they have baffles built in..

I ended up ordering the ceramic ones.

If somebody buys the stainless or "rustless steel" ones... lets us know how they are, sound, fit, quality, true stainless etc....
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... maybe the pallet in the seller's ad foretells the tale of how long the quality lasts?

bnc
Zcarnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a 1 1/2" U bend. Sounds great, but of course is LOUD. Looking at these clamp on arrestors. Anyone have any experience with it? Pros/cons of each? Just a 1600DP.

http://www.appletreeauto.com/SPARK-ARRESTOR-10-STAINLESS-AC251080/

http://www.appletreeauto.com/ECONO-SPARK-ARRESTOR-CLAMP-ON-AC251074-2S-pr-19032/
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both styles & prefer the first option, as it uses a combination of discs and a glass pack baffle in the housing. Measure the OD of your U-bend to verify if it's 2".

bnc
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that first option on my current buggy and it is a lot quiter than I ever expected, but still flows very well.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: