Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOS Z-Bed install
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: NOS Z-Bed install Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is to document what comes with the Z-Bed kit, as well as the install process to install this setup into a late bay.

Packaging:

The box itself, marked from Z-Products with stamp and label/invoice.

The directions:

In the kit:

This is the only shot I have with the mattress that was also sold by Z-Products for this setup:

Installation, Step 1:

Installation Step 2:

Drill out rivet head in swivel bracket to remove it, then cut and smooth out the tab that remains

Installation Step 3:
(8 in the printed directions, as there are a number I can skip while installing into a 79 bay)

Punch small hole in bottom plates, then fasten with #10 screw. Be sure to push the unit tight into the corner before marking your spot to punch. Make sure the plates are lined up with the grooves in the floor, so all of the screw holes line up in the center of each raised floor section. Install remaining screws in the floor plates.

Installation Step 4:
Drill two 1/4" inch holes in each fender well, for remaining bracket. Insert 1/4" x 1" bolts from the outside, place stops over the bolts and secure with lock washer and nut.

Installation Step 5:
Install the brackets on the rear bench back rest. Flip the plates up and attach the tops to the brackets first.

Attach both sides, then rotate it down so you can attach the brackets on the bottom side.

Installation Step 6:
Place bottom of rear bench seat in the cradles, then fasten with provided clamps. Attach the middle seat extensions to middle seat, then bolt to floor using stock fasteners.

Note that for the middle seat, you will have to grind down the little nuts on two of the brackets, as two of them will not line up with the holes on the seat extension pieces.

So, what does it look like installed?

It's a tight fit, but you can extend the back seat all the way out even with the middle seat still in place.

Im just under 6'3, and this is still a little too short for me to lay out straight - bump my head on either the rear hatch or the back of the middle seat. This is for the rest of the fam though as I sleep with the other hairy stinky family member - in the tent.

Afterthoughts:

Even the NOS kit was missing a few screws and clamps. Plan driving route to nearest hardware store on install weekend. Ill try to scan and upload the parts list part of the manual and link to it here.
This kit is for a lot of different models, so don't fret if a lot of it doesn't apply to your setup. From the directions, I think the late bay is the simplest install to do.
Give yourself a lot of extra time, not because the install process itself will take ALL that long, but because you'll end up wanting to 're-do' a lot of other shite along the way.
If you decide your going to keep it setup like this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just weld that middle seat extension bracket in place all the time rather than use the clamps.

I have a little baggie full of parts I didn't need for installing into a late bay. These will be for sale shortly.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Chris. We found a NOS kit and stuck it in our 1977 bus because I had one in the 1971 deluxe and it was great. You found another NOS one. Awesome. Bookwus got two used sets we had and he made one good set from them that looks awesome. My box had the North Hollywood address on it and yours had the Wilsonville address. We also bought a blue curtain set from them to go with the old stock Z-bed we found. Bookwus and I both tried to get Tim in Wilsonville to make up new kits as he still has the tooling but last I heard he just wanted to sell the tooling for some outrageous price. His curtain set has the aluminum rods that fit perfectly. We made a different color and kept the blue ones as masters. He had two more sets of blue last time I talked with him.

Nice snag. REALLY!!!

our 1977

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks for the great photos and write-up.
outrun1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thats really nice looking! great find!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, great write up on the subject. I looked out for a genuine kit for ages, I was always pipped to the post in the classifieds, and never saw any NOS stuff come up, so I bought the camperstuff repro kit from here in the UK. Not quite your NOS find, but the next best thing for me, but I could do with some advice from someone with a genuine set up.

Here is what you get in the repro kit, the hinges, adjusting brackets and slot piece (however, you do not get any of the fixings etc supplied, just the basics, plus no middle seat extenders, although I understand the guy who is making them is developing sliding mechanisms for the middle bench seat):

Here is the slot-in piece for supporting the backrest section when in the bed position:

The instructions on the repro state to slot this into the "slot" located in the middle of the section, but my Microbus, and others I have looked at have no slot there, only a space where the "slot" would be welded to by VW (I'm assuming the slot must be a Kombi thing?). So I made this up from some steel bar, and fixed it in the 13mm threaded stock holes either side, it does the job:

And in position:

As there are no fixings with the repro kit, I fixed the hinges down with larger bolts, I also couldn't bring myself to cut my rubber mat.

Middle seat temporarily removed for fitting and bed down:

So we went camping. Because the repro kit doesn't include the spring clip retainers, I had to stick to the stock brackets (and a screwdriver and spanner) when parking up and making the bed - pain in the a**!:

I then bought these Z clips from regalsr on here, as always a great seller and fast delivery:

I have not got round to fitting those yet, and still have to offer them up. Thanks for the picture of the NOS ones above, that's a great help. What struck me was that they are longer than the stock bracket set up, how did you get on with fitting yours, and do they feel secure?
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what size range these hose/jubilee/worm clips were?

ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a z bed in one of my busses and like someone already said "Its a pain in the ass". I never use it. The hoopty clips for the backrest are a cheesy set up and are best for damaging the upholstery.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ned wrote:
I have a z bed in one of my busses and like someone already said "Its a pain in the ass". I never use it. The hoopty clips for the backrest are a cheesy set up and are best for damaging the upholstery.

I guess they don't work for everyone. We love ours.

curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Nice thread Chris. Should be very enjoyable on trips.

Steve your bus is so so sweet. Love it nice picture
roland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info, thanks!
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
Any idea what size range these hose/jubilee/worm clips were?

I have 4 of the originals from Z-products still in a baggy, so I measured them quick and they are about 3 cm (1.18110 ")

When I sleep alone in the back, it's perfect. When I sleep with the misses, it's perfect also if the middle bench seat isn't in place. Im just a little too tall to be comfortable next to someone and with that middle bench seat in place though....
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
I have 4 of the originals from Z-products still in a baggy, so I measured them quick and they are about 3 cm (1.18110 ")

When I sleep alone in the back, it's perfect. When I sleep with the misses, it's perfect also if the middle bench seat isn't in place. Im just a little too tall to be comfortable next to someone and with that middle bench seat in place though....

Thanks - a trip to Lowes can now take place Laughing

Our aim is to leave the middle seat in during day-to-day use, then remove it and add some sort of camper cabinets for when we go away, so sleeping shouldn't be a problem, but at 5'11" I might be OK compared to your sky-scraping extra 4 inches in height Laughing
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ned wrote:

sounds like you dont go camping enough

samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fitted - picked up some 'R' hitch pin clips in 1/16" diameter for the hinge pins form Lowes, too.

Two movements? Pull the seat base up and out, then rotate the seat back down into the gap - just want to check that I'm not missing a part.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of a middle seat with the extension attached at the back where they bolt into the floor. One needs two hose clamps to attach them. Read below if you are looking for these. A set of them consists of two brackets. There are three in the photo.

FYI - I have a source who is pretty sure he still has a few set of the middle seat extensions for the Z-bed made by Z-Products. He told me about $20 - $25 a pair plus shipping. I don't want to place an ad because he will sell them directly to you but I can't place his contact info here. If you are interested in a set at $20 - $25 plus shipping then PM me. I have quite a few people over the last few years who have contacted me to see if I knew where any middle sear extensions were and until today I didn't but I did not keep the contact info of those who were interested. Sorry. He does not have any of the full kits. I was also able to obtain one complete medium blue curtain kit for a bay complete with the aluminum rods that I will be listing sometime this week. It is the same kit as we used to hang these custom curtains:

vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Z-Bed install Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

This is to document what comes with the Z-Bed kit, as well as the install process to install this setup into a late bay.

Packaging:

The box itself, marked from Z-Products with stamp and label/invoice.

I have a little baggie full of parts I didn't need for installing into a late bay. These will be for sale shortly.

what good is documenting if the pics wont be availble
a year later............

i remember this thread having some really good pic and info
it was worth bookmarking and sharing with other people

now...
the whole thread might as well be deleted by the gods

Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit the nail on the head Raul. And people are doing it even more these days. Posting pics on some off site photo hosting.
Duh! What gives with these clowns?

Post pics in the Samba gallery or don't post at all. Instructions for dealing with pictures in the Samba forums are in the Gallery Help/FAQ area. Follow Everett's advice and instructions or maybe don't even post at all unless you intentially want to screw this place up. Shocked Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: