Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering wheel a different color than seats/column on my 53?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Steering wheel a different color than seats/column on my 53? Reply with quote

In trying to match my original factory colors for the interior parts in my Jan 53 zwiiter, it seems like the seat frames, turn signal switch, e-brake, shifter and rear luggage rails are all the same color (I believe L275, light beige), but the steering wheel is a darker shade of beige, more like L71 (beige). I am 99% sure that the wheel wasn't switched out in the past, since I have the history on this beetle pretty well documented...but can someone help verify with me that this is the way it left the factory?
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to state that the original body color of my zwitter is Azure Blue - L36. I know this made a difference whether or not the interior cloth was beige or grey/beige, but not sure if that also had any impact on the steering wheel color.
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, color for steering wheel is L278 gray/beige. Seat frames, luggage rails, e brake handle, shifter column and semaphore cover are L 71 Beige. Hope this helps you.
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

belairman wrote:
Hello, color for steering wheel is L278 gray/beige. Seat frames, luggage rails, e brake handle, shifter column and semaphore cover are L 71 Beige. Hope this helps you.
There you go Ruben knocking those facts out of the park Wink
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for compliment John. Trying to help others when I can.
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the continued feedback, I appreciate it.

I was looking at the paint chip/formula book posted at: http://karmannghia.org/paint_chips.html and could not find the paint code you listed for the steering wheel.

But I did, however, see L71, and I think this is where the seat frames must vary between the body colors, since my seat frames are light-colored, like this 53 cabrio: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/2686616.jpg.

My steering column and what is left of the paint on the lower half of the shifter and e-brake are also this color, but the steering wheel is more like L71-colored (darker), but not as dark as pre-zwitter batwing wheels.

My original interior panels were also grey/beige with grey vinyl and grey piping, if that helps. I tried looking for some other 'survivors' out there in the gallery, but didn't find enough evidence. On restored zwitters, the color choices seem to vary, and of course, colors can be distored in pics, due to my PC monitor, etc.

WW lists L275, in their opinion, as the correct color for 52-55 seat frames, but that doesn't seem to match, either. My frames are closer to ivory than anything else (under the original seat covers and padding).

I did run into pics of a light beige zwitter (survivor), which had the beige herringbone interior with brown vinyl trim/piping, and its frames definitely looked like L71, along with its steering wheel. Ugh.

Hmmmm....
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my zwitter is jan 53 too and originally azure blue. i wonder how close they are.

the steering wheel on mine was darker than everything else (shifter, column etc)

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john7 wrote:
my zwitter is jan 53 too and originally azure blue. i wonder how close they are.

the steering wheel on mine was darker than everything else (shifter, column etc)

My build date is 9 January '53. Found it sitting in a shed not far from where I grew up where it sat since 1967. The license plate and window inspection sticker still have 1968 expiration dates on them!

Were your seat frames and steering wheel in good enough condition to save (not have to re-paint)? Or if you re-painted, did you get a color match professionally done? If you can share some of this (or even pictures so I can compare) please pm me and we can take it from there. Thanks!
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never gotten a birth cert on my car so i dont know the date it was made. the vin is 1-4313xx how close is yours.

my car isnt stock so i cant help you with pictures.
the seats that it came with wernt the originals they had 54vw written on them with permanent marker but they frames were really rusty and i didnt even use them.

i repainted the column with WW silver beige because i didnt think the tan looked right with the rest of the car.

i might have a before picture, i will have to look

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john7 wrote:
i have never gotten a birth cert on my car so i dont know the date it was made. the vin is 1-4313xx how close is yours.

my car isnt stock so i cant help you with pictures.
the seats that it came with wernt the originals they had 54vw written on them with permanent marker but they frames were really rusty and i didnt even use them.

i repainted the column with WW silver beige because i didnt think the tan looked right with the rest of the car.

i might have a before picture, i will have to look

Cool, thanks, I appreciate it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: