Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Fuel Line Routing
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwman10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Correct Fuel Line Routing Reply with quote

I had posted this photo previously in regards to a different subject, and many of you caught it and told me of a fire hazard this presents. It was like this from the PO.

Where is this fuel line exactly suppose to enter the engine area? Due to some recent surgery, right now I cannot crawl under the car. Would I have to look under the car to see the correct way the fuel line should enter the engine area? It almost looks like it comes in somewhere behind the back seat back rest?

Additionally, the PO did not have a fuel filter in the car at the carb. Would I install a fuel filter before or after the fuel pump?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

laug6615
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this post and see if this helps.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=294337&highlight=fuel+line+routing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard line exits the left rear of the car by the frame horn. It is then a flex hose through the firewall and fan shrould (may be a hard line through it) then on to the carb. Put the filter before the fuel pump either under the left rear fender where the line exits the chassis or under the gas tank in the front.

I'd also get a rubber grommet where that line runs through the firewall.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
69vwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does one get the clip for a single port for the fuel line and plug wires? I don't have them anymore and wanted to put some back!
laug6615
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not real sure if this is what your looking for, but I think so. Wolfsburg West has almost any replacement part you need.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113905451B
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have a metal line going through the breastplate tin (I think it's called). Here's one from Mid-America:

http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/chassis-to-fuel-pump-metal-fuel-line_309717/

I put my fuel filter under the tank, used an all-metal filter I found at Auto Zone.

They're right, you should also have a rubber grommet in that hole, or the tin will rub a hole in you fuel line from the engine vibration. I bought a box of grommets from Harbor Freight and replaced all of them in the car.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
kelleyspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally the fuel line was a hard line running from just under the fuel tank into and through the tunnel where it exits out of the left side frame horn. From there a rubber line attaches and runs up to the fuel pump and then on to the carb. I just ran a new fuel line in a 68 pan off restoration project. Maybe these pictures will help. Also you should be able to see the original fuel line exit location by removing or looking around the left rear tire at the frame horn. Hope this helps. NOTE: The picture of the pan from the front shows the fuel line entering the tunnel under the fuel tank area.
[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: