Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'71-'72 brakes
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: '71-'72 brakes Reply with quote

I'm going to be doing a major brake job in the near future. However I need a little help. Does anyone have a picture of the insides of the rear drum on the '71-'72 model?

Another question, drums. Is it more economical to resurface existing drums at a machine shop, or to order two new ones? Thoughts?

I'm planning on buying these when I do the job:http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BWL0001&cartid=1220201093660430 any other suggestions on products to buy when doing this job?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the drums still have life in them I would get them turned. My local shop charges $10-15 per. Make sure they mic. them as you don't want unsafe drums.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
If the drums still have life in them I would get them turned. My local shop charges $10-15 per. Make sure they mic. them as you don't want unsafe drums.

ok.

I just made a quick list on aircooled.net for brake parts. Including drums, total parts would cost about $800 not including shipping. That doesn't include baking plates for the front rotors.

I'm also looking at getting a new beam, and still need to source one out in the New England area. I'm planning on spending about $300 0n that. I have ball joints already, so in the end i'm looking at $1300 for a front end. does that sound right? Seems pretty costly if you ask me.

suggestions are welcome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:

I just made a quick list on aircooled.net for brake parts. Including drums, total parts would cost about $800 not including shipping. That doesn't include baking plates for the front rotors.

I'm also looking at getting a new beam, and still need to source one out in the New England area. I'm planning on spending about $300 0n that. I have ball joints already, so in the end i'm looking at $1300 for a front end. does that sound right? Seems pretty costly if you ask me.

suggestions are welcome

list:4 stainless flex hoses $109
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BWL0001&cartid=1220201093660430

rear shoes $40
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BWS0002&cartid=0324201115946789

rear shoe hadrware $15
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BWS0004&cartid=0324201115946789

front brake pads $30
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BWS0006&cartid=0324201115946789

adj star $10
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BWS0008&cartid=0324201115946789

2 rotors $120
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BWD0001&cartid=0324201115946789

2 rear drums $160
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BWD0004&cartid=0324201115946789

rear drum baking plates $130
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BWD0006&cartid=0324201115946789

steel lines 10 pieces $50
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BWL0004&cartid=0324201115946789

bearing front inner and outer $35

rear drum bearings inner and outer $90

TOTAL: $800ish
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is all that for this bus?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What about rear cylinders? I hope it runs as good as it's gonna stop.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of my '72 rear brakes. Note the spreader is different (not sure if this a '72 only thing). The one side of the spreader was originally fastened with a rolled pin and clip. I used a bolt with a cap nut instead because the pin and clip had been replaced/lost at some point. There are more pics in my gallery.

nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a set of 4 unused stainless brake lines in the classifieds for half that right now.

Do you really need every single part to be new?

Also, ordering that many things from ac.net, they're bound to be out of stock on half of it...could take months. Confused
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$800 for almost a complete new brake system but no rear cylinders, front calipers or master listed?

Is all that stuff missing or damaged? There's alot of things that are pretty tough and easily re used on your list, can't beat OG parts. And the stainless lines?, nice yes, but the rubber ones work fine too for way less $.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hold on, the Bruins and Canadians game is on. Be back in 3 hours
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, that beats the puck out of me. Laughing
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
There's a set of 4 unused stainless brake lines in the classifieds for half that right now.

Do you really need every single part to be new?

Also, ordering that many things from ac.net, they're bound to be out of stock on half of it...could take months. Confused

I made the list thinking, worst of the worst. If it is unsalvageable, I'll have to order it. So that wist list is if I have to buy all brand new. I'm really not sure what things look like under the hubs and everything is pulled.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:

What an absolute waste of your time, get your ass off the couch and go work on that bus! Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wampe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why do you think the bus needs a major brake job anyway?
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wampe wrote:
So why do you think the bus needs a major brake job anyway?

just because the service records that came with the bus, included "tune up jobs" and quick fixes from jiffylube. It's just time. And I'll have piece of mind that's done.

the pic above is not my bus.

this is my bus

underside

there are little holes in the beam, so it needs to be replaced. Look at the picture, it's rusty and needs to go.
BumbleBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:

Surprised Laughing Laughing as someone about to embark on a total brake job myself i was gonna follow your thread anyway, but that's just awesome (grew up in Pittsburgh... Pens fan).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BumbleBus wrote:
60vwnewengland wrote:

Surprised Laughing Laughing as someone about to embark on a total brake job myself i was gonna follow your thread anyway, but that's just awesome (grew up in Pittsburgh... Pens fan).

7-0 Bruins!!! How much better does it get? Chara's back, and the Canadians can call the police again for the major upset
MaddMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the rear brakes on my 71, and I ran into a really weird problem.

There are to types of rear brake drums under the same vw part number.

The only difference I could find was the max diameter stamped on the outside rim of the drum.

My bus has the stamp MAX DIA 9.968, the more common drum has the stamp, MAX 9.980. The odd thing is that both types of drums have the same part number stamped on them even though there is a significant inner diameter difference.

I attempted to put a new drum on that had the 9.980 stamp and it locked up the wheel. The back plate rubs the 9.980 and the drum was stuck so bad that I had to pound the thing off with a deadblow mallet.

It took me three days of searching but I found a suitable used 9.968 drum through a friend.

It was an odd little quirk. We have 3 really awesome vw shops here in Tucson and not a single one had any knowledge of the 9.968 drum.

Just thought I'd share to save you some hassle if you find your bus has 9.968 drums on it.

Owned: 71 Superbeetle, 72 Superbeetle, 63 Baja (on 69 pan) 74 baja, 74 Karmann Ghia

Own: 71 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more a pic of the top of the shock absorber. Beam rust is at the bottom, where the water sits inside.
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a timely forum here for me also. I just last weekend turned the corner after a year and a half of some pretty dirty work and lots of time and effort to get my shit together (literally and figuratively). And am this weekend starting to put stuff back on. So if this thread is still going, I'm doing a 71. and will be starting at the brass T junction, and can send pics if needed. Just a little advice here, find a little stand up buffer. With a buffing wheel on one side and a wire wheel on the other. And almost all of that good old German Steel is salvageable. And it fits. It takes time. And effort. But money saved for other things. Like Konis.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:

That's more a pic of the top of the shock absorber. Beam rust is at the bottom, where the water sits inside.

ya I know, but that's only the top of the tower compared to the underside of the bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: