Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's idea was it to change brake hoses?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Who's idea was it to change brake hoses? Reply with quote

It's like this you see...where else can I moan about this and have anyone understand?

I am changing the flex lines for the brakes. The front are complete with a few minor issues. What madman put the line behind that vent thing for the battery box?

Anyhow, the rear aren't going so well. The left side flex line ripped the threads off the flare nut on the steel line. If you haven't seen where the distributor for the rear brakes is located...you're lucky. Above the coolant pipes and A/T cables. It is rusted up pretty nice as well. So far I haven't succeeded in getting the line out of the tee. I will. I'm not sure what the damage will be...but I'll get it.

On the upside...the older style grill with round headlights in in and working. By request of Wifey!

Thanks for listening, I feel better.

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
1*4*3*2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with wifey, round headlights are way cooler!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian did you use the BFH on this job?

Good luck there buddy!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is off the top of my head, but....

IIRC, there's one (large-ish) Phillips holding "T" to body. This may not hold it well enough when putting torque on those flare nuts. It's been a while since I've looked so.....

Is there room to get a smooth jaw wrench on "T" to hold it while turning each flare nut? Or maybe remove that Phillips to make some room for a wrench on "T"? Be warned; that Phillips is likely corroded too. (you want the proper sized big ass Phillips for that one)

If you aren't already, use a flare nut wrench. It fits over the nut real good.

I did an overly verbose write up here:

http://sites.google.com/site/tubaneil2/rearbrakeflexhosereplacement

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not saying you're a "Flounder". The clip just "fit" Wink Edit: by "fit" I meant it fit since I was putting booze therapy and car woes together. Soak those nuts in penetrating fluid, shut 'er down for the night, drink one or more of these. You'll fell better! Wink

Link

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
trailnewt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1*4*3*2 wrote:

Better illumination too.
Brent
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: lines Reply with quote

Not enough room for the BFH unfortunately...

There isn't enough room to get at that tee with the phillips head(equally rusting away) unless I move the coolant pipes. I plan on changing the rad hoses in the next couple weeks...it might be Monday.

Flare wrenches are ok but have you seen the vise-grip with the jaw for flare nuts? It worked on the flare nut at the wheel well. I will post a pic if I can find one. I have a set of sockets for stripped heads. On my next attempt I will cut the line and use them.

The round headlights are cool for sure. New lights and lenses and upgrade relays are on the way. I'm not sure why...we never drive at night...we sleep at night! You know the saying....Happy Wife....

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A useful technique to get penetrating oil way up deep to spots like this is to get a long piece of the red straw used on these cans from an auto shop. Like 18". Then, you can hold the tip right up where you can't even see (two fingers pinching straw, one finger feeling for the brake line joint) and fire it with your other hand.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUP, cut it off. Use a socket. Tighten a tad first of course to break it loose. Vise Grips sure bugger things up, but for something like that, maybe it is better. If you can, use a small torch and heat it up, if you dare and can avoid setting the van of fire!

Also, the idea of counter holding the Tee is awfully good for two important reasons. One it keeps you from snapping it loose from the body (you don't want to cause yourself more grief.) Two it allows you to really get a hold and get max torque on the offending part.

GOOD LUCK!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: lines Reply with quote

This is the vise-grip I was referring to. It clamps on to the flare nut really well. The issue was torque...as in I couldn't get any.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heating doesn't look like a safe option. Towing to my mechanics might be!

Brian.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we faced this horrible location for a service item with corrosion we just bypassed it entirely with NEW hydraulics & T-fitting.
leaving that PITA stock T there in it's place for eternity.

yes it's a hack, but when faced with the task in the cold/snow abbreviating the ordeal moves up in priority.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: lines Reply with quote

I'm not opposed to that option at all. I can junction the line from the front easy enough. The guy who lives across the street from where the van is stored has the tools to make the flare. The other issue is the distributor tee itself. What options besides the OE do I have? Can you get a generic tee?

Ask me what I'm dreaming about until Monday? Not by choice.

Brian.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: lines Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
I'm not opposed to that option at all. I can junction the line from the front easy enough. The guy who lives across the street from where the van is stored has the tools to make the flare. The other issue is the distributor tee itself. What options besides the OE do I have? Can you get a generic tee?

Brian.

The union (NOT compression fitting) for shunting in a new piece to long front/back line should be available at your FLAPS. IIRC, the Vanagon "T" is the same as those used in the older Bugs et al. Maybe info here regarding that? Or your FLAPS has a generic "T"?

Maybe CIP has the Bug one: http://www.cip1.ca/Default.asp

Round headlights rule,

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
A useful technique to get penetrating oil way up deep to spots like this is to get a long piece of the red straw used on these cans from an auto shop. Like 18"...

You can also make this at home with a bunch of leftover red straws (why do I save those things) spliced together with small heat shrink tubing. As explained, you can really soak remote locations.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: lines Reply with quote

Dan in NY gave me a link for a tee and it's ordered and shipped tomorrow. Thanks Dan!

Better to be looking at it than looking for it.

You can spray the fitting easily. I had to remove the linkage bracket for the transmission. (auto) The flexing of the tee is a problem as well as the lack of hand room. Many moons ago before I realized I didn't want to be a mechanic for a career, I was a mechanic. I still marvel at the things that get hidden away when it comes time to work. It has to be that way, I know, just crazy sometimes. The heater core in a sleeper in a tractor trailer in under the bed. I was the small guy in the shop. Oh what fun!

Anyhow, thanks for listening to me moan, all of the ideas and for not laughing like my mechanic friend did!

Brian.

VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1*4*3*2 wrote:

I concur ... and I have square lights Crying or Very sad

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: lines Reply with quote

Sometimes you get lucky.

The guy who lives across the street happened to be a mechanic and happened to have a flaring tool. He sent me for supplies and then made me the lines required. He then let me use said tool to put in a junction on the van.

Where on last Thursday I thought this would be a two week job(time constraints of family life and all) I may be able to bleed tomorrow. Not just my knuckles...but the brakes.

The guy who helped me out has no idea of the fistful of cash he is getting tomorrow. I may need to throw it at him and run. He saved me so much grief and running around. The downside is I want to buy that kit. ($600)

Still haven't found the carcass.

Brian.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: