Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Very nice. Nothing like being wide open as soon as the top goes up. Every westy-camper knows how it goes, a big messy pile of 'stuff' on the front seats. Especially with a small family!

For those who want more space but can't undertake such a big modification, GoWesty has a rain fly kit that provides some storage space there, accessible thru the tent front window.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(GoWesty photo from http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4046

I concur.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit more today. On Friday, I picked up some waterproof rip-stop nylon and hardware from a local supplier of outdoors fabrics and hardware called Outdoor Innovations in Vancouver (from Nylon to Gore-Tex, from canvas to Sunbrella - - great store!). This is the material I am using for my "GrosserWasserStopper" rainfly. I am doing the fly first and the pop-top canvas second.

I decided to install all the hardware needed for my GrosserWasserStopper.

So here are some pics:

1. The pic below shows the foam foller I used to apply gel coat over the fibreglass work I did. It gives a texture close to the factory Westy roof texture.

2. The pic below shows the luggage rack drain hole and attached spigot from the above point of view.

3. The pic below shows. if you can make it out, the texture.

4. The pics below show the 1/2" by 1/2" fibreglass rail for mounting the tent. I made it using 1/2" by 1/2" vinyl trim from Home Depot which I roughed up on all four sides with course sandpaper and fibreglassed into place. It sits in the round channel under the "peaks" surrounding the luggage rack. Due to following this area, these channels are slightly rounded, following the factory contour.

5. Next, I cut the 1/2" by 1/4'' solid extruded aluminum from "The Metal Supermarket" (only $10.00 for all I needed!), drilled and countersank the holes, shaped the curve in my vise, and dry-fit the aluminum extrusions.

6. Then I started installing the male snaps to hold my GrosserWasserStopper It turns out that there are 6 fibreglass "nibs" that Westfalia molded right into the Westy top that are just the right size for installing snaps.

Here are pics of the "nibs" into which I have already drilled holes:

(snaps already installed in the above pic)

7. Below is the brand of snap fasteners I got which comes with a tool for fastening the female snaps to your fabric. For the male snaps that attached to the factory "nibs", I had to dremel off 3/16' off the screws to ensure I would not break through the factory fibreglass. I pre-drilled 1/8" holes, installed the snaps part way to create threads (since the screws would not self-tap as well after shrtening), dremel cut them and then installed.

8. Then I installed four snaps into the stiffening strip I installed at the leading edge of the luggage rack, as seen in the pic below:

9. I pondered how to attach the snaps in the approximately 10 other locations where they are required. I decided I am going to use epoxy putty to attach "nibs" where needed. I am going to use the epoxy putty designed to repair holes in gas tanks. I'll post the pics when I do that step.
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
I am leaving the "luggage rack" as it is formed from the factory. This allows me to put odds and ends and camp chairs up there.

BUT, I am also making a "lid" for this area to cover it for aerodynamics improvement and hopefully a little less wind noise. This is why I have to attach drain plumbing to the drain holes on the "luggage" area.

As it turns out, there will still be a space of about 1.5" to 2" between the bottom of the luggage rack and the steel roof which will accomodate the front portion of the tent when the poptop is down plus, if I am lucky, my "pillow board" from my upper berth.

Well, this is pretty brilliant.

I'm very curios to see your lid. I've been thinking about a lid for a while, I just don't have the skills to put something together. I'd love to have one to cut down on the wind noise, and improve gas mileage. So I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this! Way to go!

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fun in Raincouver, BC! I finally found a little time to do more on my "Big Top". Unfortunately, the weather has not been helpful. My garage will not allow me open to pop my top, so it's tarp time on the driveway today during the trial fitting.

Anyway, I used some ripstop nylon to fabric-ate my GrosserWasserStopper. My good friend is a whiz with sewing and will get all the credit for the craftsmanship on sewing.

Here are some pics of the trial fit to determine where the lower hem will be located. For anyone wanting to make their own GrosserWasserStopper, I'll post the dimensions when the final cut and final sewing are complete.

By the way, I would NOT recommend that anyone try to make a WasserStopper as per GoWesty's version as their price is unbeatable. I have spent far more on just materials, so I can say that their item is priced right. I want to credit them with the best execution of this concept which many people, I'm sure, have thought about, but they got right and at the right price point. I only made mine because I need a custom size, and while doing so, I implemented it differently for my specific needs.

I got the fabric, nylon webbing, stainless steel snaps, velcro and other notions at a great local store that has every kind of outdoor fabric and hardware imaginable. It's all in plain view so you dan't have to describe the indescribeable widget you want. His prices are higher than online prices, but the convenience factor and ability to buy any size piece of any fabric, velcro, etc. easily outweighs the prices which are not bad by any standard. The store: Outdoor Innovations, in Vancouver.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look!

Nice work Cool

Fiberglas work is always more time consuming than I think it will be, but the results are usually worth it.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we now have proof of concept. I have been busy and have installed the luggage rack drains, made a new pop-top tent out of Sunbrella, completed the GrosserWasserStopper (now re-named the SuperFly), and tested the whole shebang with a 4-day trip to the Halcyon Hotsprings with wife, step-daughter, step-daughter's best frined, and waaaay too much clothes for all three of them. I remind them that it's camping, not a Vogue shoot, but this has no impact on them.

Anyway, I am happy to report that the whole concept worked incredibly well and it is SOOOO nice having a place to put all the stuff that we bring along without having to clutter up the front seats nor all the otherwise useable space in the Westy.

It was cold at nights, about -2C (28F for you yanks) and we just used one compact electric space heater since this hotsprings has hookups in the RV area. We were toasty and not havingt to open up the front window like we used to have to do helped keep our warm air in.

Here are some pics of the almost finished product:

Now that I have tested the concept, I can finish with:

1. Sewing on the vinyl welting to the tent;
2. Sewing in the screens and windows; and
3. Painting the fibreglass top body-colour.

While I am at it, let me make a shameless plug for Sunbrella - - this stuff is fantastic - - it does not get wet. Water just beads right off it. I may have made the Superfly for nothing!
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is looking very cool...I found a "bagawest" it accomplishes kind of the same thing, and yeah, it's nice to actually use the overhead space. Nice work.

here's a pic (page down to see it)

http://damdecoeur.ifrance.com/documents/Divers_gadgets.htm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work! Applause

Do you have any shots of the interior?
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should have been an option from the factory!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause Cool
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravo, very cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing how you finish it up on the inside. I know know the mini deflector idea was raised before, here's a EV pic. One of those might be an easy addition & only make things better.

canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, I like it. Post some interior pics.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that is way cool , nice work. I have an extra pop top and metal roof section we salvaged from a junkyard van for sale super cheap if anyone needs a donar to build one of these cool ''Big tops '' Keep up the great works guys. Cheers Burley

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. The idea of more room makes me want to add a pop top.

But the question has to be asked, does the Eurovan top fit on the vanagon? I parked next to one and was shocked how close in size they are.

jcl
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the compliments. It was, and continues to be, a fun project. Now that I have done all the hard parts, especially the thinking and planning, I know I could do it again in one third of the time.

Regarding the Eurovan top on the Vanagon, I am quite sure it would not fit. Making it fit would not be easy.

As for interior pics, I took some tonight, but if my camera has wide-angle capability, I have not figured out how to do it.

Here are the pics:

Tons of room for bags, pillows, pets(?), small children, etc etc!

In the two pics below, you can see the clear tubing I used for the luggage rack drains to connect the PVC fittings on top and on the sides. The clear tubing allows me to easily see any clogs and deal with them. When I remove the tent to install the windows and the welting, I will install grommets on the tent where the rough holes are cut for the clear tubing to pass through.

In the pic below, you can see I have not yet removed the driver's side luggage rack mount. It will come out later when I pull back the headliner for some wiring.

In the pic below, I am sitting on the roof over the dirver's seat while taking the pic.

Below is a close-up of the luggage rack drain holes.

Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this design!

Can you give an update on this project.

How is it holding up, any changes, etc

great work!
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tent is about to finally receive the three-window treatment on my custom Sunbrella "Big Top".

I need to give my seamstress some indication how to stitch up the windows and zippers. I like both the GoWesty style and the Ateliers style, but between them I like the Ateliers PK approach the best with the contrasting strip of material along the windows.

Does anyone have any pics of the interior of their three-window poptop tents that would show how the pieces and zippers are fitted?

In the meantime, I got my SVX installed with my Tom Shiels harness, got my AA rebuilt transaxle, rebuilt locking front diff and decoupler installed also. Many thanks to Daryl Christiansen and Tom Shiels for their particular forms of magic and excellent customer service!
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it took a while, but I finally got the three windows sewn in on the Big Top. We were in the Kootenays this week and it sure is cool up top now.

[img]

Love my new SVX install too - - this was the maiden voyage. SmallCar clutch release o-ring failed - - waaaaah!

Smallcar was honourable and quickly shipped me a replacement bellhousing. My customer service experience with them has been outstanding.

A side note: Average mileage over 1,500 miles was 20 mpg (imperial gallons). This is better than the dying WBX was getting. I am running a 0.70 4th gear and 28.5 inch tires. Mostly drove at between 70 and 80 mph. Very happy and intend to test again at 65 mph to see what mileage this combo can yield without the lead foot.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innovative and thinking ahead of the box! Nice (grand) job. Applause
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: