Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
That strut might be able to hold the pop top up but it does not provide much support side to side. The H bar does both....

Agreed, but it is also the conventional method of poptop support for Eurovan Westfalias from 1996 onward. Might work!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:

Another poster had been discussing using these Eurovan hydraulic struts to replace the Vanagon H-bar.

I sure do despise the H-Bar... Although I agree on lateral support issues. However, I am not real sure about the lateral issue in regards to the design of the top. My EV Westy had the 'late model' system with no H-Bar, and did not seem to have any issues side-to-side. It would be pretty easy to fit a mechanism on the non-locking side that would lock it in manually. The self locking side kept me plenty happy that the top wasn't going to go kiddy-whampus all a sudden. Perhaps on one occasion in extreme wind, I was a tad concerned.

Anyway, I think my attempt is only 1 part (2 pieces same part) away from a test. The EV Westy h-bar delete from the big vendor only lacks the correct lower support that is needed to miss the Vanagon bunk articulation. I believe I have the part narrowed down now Smile Only about $15 for two. The bottom bracket simply needs to be Z shaped, with the ball going outward, opposite of the EV's inward facing ball. That would place the cylinder outboard of the bed articulation area.
steve_hoge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Gruppe B wrote:

Another poster had been discussing using these Eurovan hydraulic struts to replace the Vanagon H-bar.

I sure do despise the H-Bar... Although I agree on lateral support issues. However, I am not real sure about the lateral issue in regards to the design of the top. My EV Westy had the 'late model' system with no H-Bar, and did not seem to have any issues side-to-side.

Might it be possible to add a 3rd shorter hydraulic strut to the front (leading) edge of the pop-top extending either leftward or rightward that would help with lift AND provide lateral stability due to its orthogonal (right-angle) orientation relative to the other two struts?

-Steve
ryaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

this is amazing!
Great job!
Maybe I have missed but did you think about removing cargo part and making it flat from the top? so you ll have some cargo space between van roof and pop top?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments!

I left the "luggage rack" space as is, but added drain spigots that connect to hoses that drain rainwater outside the van. I prefer this approach so that I can still use the luggage rack as intended by the factory.

There is still a gap of about 1.5" to 2" between the metal roof and the bottom of the luggage rack, and this is where some of the pop-top tent goes when the top is in the "down" position. I can put large but thin items in that 1.5" to 2" space for storage. It would likely fit the late-model Westfalia (low-profile) dining table.

The factory contours of the luggage rack give it a lot of strength, so going with a flat top would, I believe, weaken that structure too much.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

Incredibly well done mod! Great innovation and expertly crafted. That tent is pro! I wish I had the patience to do this mod also. I think for now I’ll grab a wasserstopper rain fly but your mod looks like a a great solution for those who want more space up top. This gets my vote for best samba mod!
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

I just saw this - and wanted to say "IMPRESSIVE"

thanks for sharing.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

If you need even more room in back, there's this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

Fractal pop tops. I want to see the next level.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

Hey Sanchius, could you let us know a link to the site on which that double-popper was found?

I thought about something like that as I like the idea of that head room in the upper berth, but this guy executed on the concept. It looks like a well-designed and well-executed job.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

Halfway down (lots of the other pics there are fun too): http://vwt3.com/2015/08/

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Fractal pop tops. I want to see the next level.

Tesseract tops.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

I haven't posted a pic of the extended pop-top showing the re-paint on the pop-top that I did several years ago.

Here it is on the Duffey Lake Road this past June:

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-top Extension: Evolution of the Pop-Top Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
I haven't posted a pic of the extended pop-top
several years ago.

We noticed.

Can't go wrong with more pics.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: