Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

inline valve for front heater core
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: inline valve for front heater core Reply with quote

I have been acquiring parts for under the dash and planning it out for years Rolling Eyes . We are heading to Vancouver Island for a summer trip in two weeks! There is no way I'm going to attempt this now. I'm searching for some threads that talk about putting a valve in to shut off circulation from the heater core. I cannot seem to find them. Anyone remember these and perhaps the titles? Embarassed
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vanagon came with a shut off/control valve from the factory which was operated by the lever on the dash. Does yours not work? If it doesn't work the problem could be in the cable and not the valve.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277861
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, you might need some heat now and again up there. We are headed to Banff soon and it is going to be rainy and cold!!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is the flaps or the cable/lever. It constantly blows hot air and I'm looking for a quick fix.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have accessory front heater valves available for a positive shutdown of the front heater in your Vanagon.
This is the quickest forever fix.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed one of TK's valves in about five minutes the morning my wife and I were leaving for the Grand Canyon. Without it, a bit of heat still comes through, which is no fun during summer.
Some people call him Maurice...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK's valve is great!
Just installed one.

With center dash cover removed......

With cover installed, easy to access....

I also upgraded to the Ford cable control valve as well so I can dead nuts turn off the heater core!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a 5/8 coupling where the old heater valve was and put the ford valve where you put your TK shutoff valve but in the pressure line. It turns the heat on and off right there by hand. Not bad for 15 bucks and a trip to FLAPS.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I have a new heater valve, but I'll just keep it in the bag for now. I don't like the idea of splicing in things and adding more failure points. So, I have just disconnected the cable to the old heater valve and manually shut it off for the summer. What makes the Ford valve better, or is it simply a cost factor? TK, why the screw in couplers? Dave, the pictures are great, I didn't even know where the old valve was until you showed me! Doug, I have a Propex, so we're coved! Wildthings, when I do the teardown on the dash to rebuild, I'll be able to check the cables.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the screw in couplers on the valve?
Because Parker doesn't manufacture the valves with the barbed fittings on them.
It would eliminate the choice of the type of fittings at the end of the valve one might want to use.

I don't think I've ever seen a high quality valve with ends on it as a one piece item.

Plastic valves are available this way -- because they are molded .
Short lived valve in comparison.

This is why I went with the Parker assembly.
It's designed to be used in high temps & pressures for longer than the often failing plastic valves.
They don't leak, they don't fail in this application.
It's a one time update.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do much reading about the replacement "factory" water valve you will discover that they have a high failure rate (leaking) and you will also discover that there is universal intense hatred for how VW chose to fasten the cable housing to the valve with the archane hard to manipulate and place accurately metal clip!

The Ford valve is a slip in replacement (with minor mods shown in my build thread) and a phillips head screw infinitely easily adjusted cable fastening system.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
syncrswim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Terry Kay's inline valve. It's very solid and completely shuts off the heat. Pay attention to its location, and you can reach behind the plastic shield and turn it on if you get a sudden cold spell.

We don't need no stinkin' cables!
syncrswim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Actually, I was kidding about not needing the cables. I've just been too lazy to fix mine properly.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing the stock heater valve is kind of a PITA but I have had good results with them working properly without needing a secondary shut off valve.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention this feature of the Parker Valve set up;

Your not limited to where it can be fitted.
I spliced mine into pre T- fitting under the van.

Why?
Not only did I shut the front heater core off, I got the back one too.

So yea, I have to lay along side of the van twice a year-- once in the fall, & once in the spring, but I get it all with a flick of my finger.

One of the better accessories I came up with for my Vanagons-- pretty much eliminates the hot foot syndrome.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I fixed my cable controlled valve PLUS added TK's valve was because of the front air box design and Summer.

In the stock configuration you CANNOT stop the fresh ram air from being forced into the Box (I modified mine so I can but that's another story).

If you cannot stop Air from being forced into the Box plus the flap seals will not/may not seal 100% you end up with warm air if you have any failure of the hot water valve being able to close fully.

Now, the AC unit is in the rear..... The last thing I want on a 90* day with 90% humidity is hot air coming out of the dash while the AC slaves to move cold air to the front. (Also why I made my fresh air able to be shut off)

With both valves, I have duplicity of shut down. One or both will prevent water from entering my heater core!

This is important to me and was worth the price of TK's valve.

Come cooler weather, leave TK's valve on and use the cable controlled valve as designed.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Installing the stock heater valve is kind of a PITA but I have had good results with them working properly without needing a secondary shut off valve.

ditto that I replaced my factory installed valve with an original type (Van café item) and it works fine four years later. the original one was working fine when removed, I simply replaced it to avoid any potential problems using a 20+ year old valve when I replaced my radiator, and rubber hoses, also as a preventative measure.

I'd replace the stock valve with a stock valve again, no problems with them.

Why go funky when you can do it like the factory and retain the original controls???

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:

ditto that I replaced my factory installed valve with an original type (Van café item) and it works fine four years later. the original one was working fine when removed, I simply replaced it to avoid any potential problems using a 20+ year old valve when I replaced my radiator, and rubber hoses, also as a preventative measure.

I'd replace the stock valve with a stock valve again, no problems with them.

Why go funky when you can do it like the factory and retain the original controls???

Because IMHO the Ford cable clamp and control wire to lever attachment system is far superior to VW's design.

I have full functionality via the VW cable using the Ford Valve.
Plus IF I need a new valve..... Any parts store in anytown USA should have one on the shelf.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
smd333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: inline valve for front heater core Reply with quote

I installed the valve that Terry K recommended a few years ago and honestly it has made my driving experience 1000x more enjoyable.

he used to make a jumper cable setup that was not easy jumping and I went to his websites and they were dead.

Anyone know what ever became of Terry K? I know he was banned but that happened even before I joined the samba I believe

Mike
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: inline valve for front heater core Reply with quote

PM sent.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: