Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Maybe this will work better for you- http://lmb-technik.de/produkte.html
The product info opens as a PDF.
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

I'm dong a 2.5,suby on my Syncro soon..just wondering about the new small car headers, any of you guys use them? How's the fitness and crack issues?
Thanks gents.
Ogi
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Kombi///M3 wrote:
I'm dong a 2.5,suby on my Syncro soon..just wondering about the new small car headers, any of you guys use them? How's the fitness and crack issues?
Thanks gents.
Ogi

I've had the original SmallCar headers for a LONG time with no cracking. I think it's because I employed a mod for one of the J-pipe connections that using springs and bolts on one of the connections to allow movement between the header and the j-pipe/muffler. I can't remember where I found that, but I think it was on the SubaruVanagon Yahoo group.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

I've got the small car headers on my 2.2 with no problems. At the time they where the only header to allow you to use a Subaru gears trans.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

We have tested the SC header under racing conditions on our 2.5, no issues at all. The header still looks nice and shiney too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Thanks gents.. Good feedback then.. I have seen it in person.. Looks great.
I like the idea of its tucked right in there. I'll give it a go.
Cheers.
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
Kombi///M3 wrote:
Thanks gents.
Ogi

I've had the original SmallCar headers for a LONG time with no cracking. I think it's because I employed a mod for one of the J-pipe connections that using springs and bolts on one of the connections to allow movement between the header and the j-pipe/muffler. I can't remember where I found that, but I think it was on the SubaruVanagon Yahoo group.

I'd be interested in that mod... I'm about set for my annual weld and patch of my smallcar header from 2012 (previous generation — think I was one of the last unlucky souls to wind up with an older version before the newer ones were released).
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

It's just three bolts, springs and nuts connecting jtube and header using the donut gasket. May have seen it on Subaru Vanagon Yahoo group
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
It's just three bolts, springs and nuts connecting jtube and header using the donut gasket. May have seen it on Subaru Vanagon Yahoo group

Cool beans. I'll dig around on the group. Thanks!
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Ok...I've read a few different threads on this - this one being the longest. I'm never quite sure if I should start a new thread...or just continue the old 14 page one.

I've got a '86 Syncro with a '94 Subaru EJ22 engine in it. The header had some issues - see pic. I'm told by PO that a KEP conversion kit was used.

I'm trying to find a replacement that will not cause issues with the skid plate. I called SmallCar - they said they are the only ones that sell one that fits around the skid plate, but I'll need to change my engine mount and the whole exhaust system. Seems crazy - $1,800 just for parts (shipping not included).

This thread seems to indicate that Vanaru (Hans) makes the best ones, but he doesn't sell them anymore?

VanCafe makes decent one - not sure if it fits a syncro
Stans are very good - but don't fit a syncro
Kennedy Engineering - not much feedback on their headers?

I know this is an old thread, so hard to know which info is still relevant. Kind of why I was thinking I should start a new thread...Anyone have recent experience with this issue?

Thanks...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

It looks like you are running the KEP engine mount, which rules out the SC header. I have no experience with this set-up but I'd call Mike Labate at RMW and ask about their very nice SS exhaust system for your configuration, unless others chime in here about this configuration.
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Looks like a KEP header. I think RMW header will interfere with the moustache bar that you are using for the skid plate. Cheapest option would be a new KEP header.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Thanks...my research - after trying to contact manufacturers/sellers -

Small Car - crazy replace a ton of parts to the tune of $1,800 just to use their header, which has mixed reviews.

Van Cafe (AKA Rocky Mountain Westy) - tech support replied to me that "Our header system will work with the Kennedy conversion". They didn't acknowledge the fact that I have a syncro, so I'll have to email them again. Also appear to be out of stock

Vanaru - doesn't sell directly anymore, and he doesn't think it will work with my setup.

Stans Headers - he doesn't know. He says if I send him my old header he can make sure it works. He is 3-4 weeks out

Kennedy Engineering Project - They don't know if it will work

I've never had to deal or work with something like this. I'm wondering if I just went with a local muffler shop? Does anyone know one they recommend around Boston? I don't know anything about welding - so no idea how hard these things are to make. Is that unrealistic?

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
I'm wondering if I just went with a local muffler shop? Does anyone know one they recommend around Boston? I don't know anything about welding - so no idea how hard these things are to make. Is that unrealistic?

your biggest obstacle is going to be the "header" or "collector" or "manifold" (whichever you prefer) as it's super tight to the head.

I make my own exhaust setup when I do my conversions. the pre drilled "manifold" plates are available.

honestly, I would try and find a bolt on solution. any muffler shop worth a dam is going to charge you time and materials...it takes me about 8-9 hours to fab up a exhaust from exhaust valves to tail pipe. at 1XX.00 per hour plus materials you can easily be into it for 1k+

just remember any custom work is just that....custom and the price reflects that. the only shop I know is in RI and the guy is a giant pain in the ass to deal with. I use to get bends from him and finally had to go elsewhere, as I am not ready to drop 10k+ for new or 7k+ for a used pipe bender

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

The Syncro skid bars are mild steel and far easier to modify than an exhaust header. I would suggest buying the KEP header and, to the extent required, (which may be zero extent) modify the skid bars. You can move the bar nearest the passenger side header inward toward the center of the van.

Also, Tom Shiels was selling stainless headers to work with the KEP kit. I found this link:

http://subaruvanagon.com/tom/SS%20Exhaust/Exhaust.htm
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

I see a stock vanagon mustache bar in that pic. My understanding is KEP header does not work with vanagon mustache bar, unless something has changed? I have KEP setup on my syncro and no way would the mustache bar fit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

FWIW - I have Stan's headers on my 86 Syncro. It's still a work in progress so I don't yet know if the factory skid plate will clear. I think it will. If it doesn't, I'll modify the skid plate to work. I have the Small Car engine mount and the RJES bell housing.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

thanks for the tips so far...

I understand custom work would be expensive - but had no idea how hard it is to make an exhaust. (8-9 hours) I was just wondering if I went custom - if I might be better off in the long run. Some sort of expression like "Buy Once, Cry once". I know it wouldn't last forever, but if I have to get a bolt on unit for $500, but need to spend $500 changing other things to get it to fit - maybe I'll just spend the $1,000 on a new custom header. I'll also know it will fit.

I also saw these -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

from this company -http://rjes.com/html/exhaust_systems.html

I know nothing about making these, but imagine this is a big part of it, and that looks like a nice piece.

Then again - if I can get a bolt on solution to work - then I'm covered if I have to replace it again (which I'm sure will inevitably happen). Thanks for the insight on that. I may trace down the custom option too - and see If I can find a blt on that doesn't require too much modification.

Tom Shiels - seems like he does really nice work. I read that his were not compatible on syncros on his website - but I'll reach out to him and find out exactly why they are not compatible, and if there is something I can do to address this.

While I continue this research, and listen to all of your tips I'm going to try to get my existing header off.

thanks...

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Hammy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Outfront motorsports sells the headers and parts for custom exhaust as well as other suby engine parts such as shortened oil pans. They are big into suby powered sand rails.

I’ve had the svx shorty headers on my van for 4 years with no issues..

http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/primary_tubes.htm

Regards,
Jon
Hammy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Outfront motorsports sells the headers and parts for custom exhaust as well as other suby engine parts such as shortened oil pans, reverse coolant manifolds..... They are big into suby powered sand rails.

I’ve had the svx shorty headers on my van for 4 years with no issues..

http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/primary_tubes.htm

Regards,
Jon[/quote]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: