Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanding block for curved surfaces?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craigbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding block for curved surfaces? Reply with quote

For the DIY'ers, I used a $10 garden kneeler from Lowes to make some flexible sanding blocks that work great on the curved surfaces of our vehicles. I just ripped the rubber pad with my table saw and cut to different lengths. It is simi-rigid but more flexible than DuraBlocks and working great on my Karmann Ghia. They are approximately 1.5 inches thick so similar to the DuraBlock size. Very comfortable to work with.
Here's a few pictures of the original pad and some of my blocks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding block for curved surfaces? Reply with quote

Another DIY option is a computer keyboard wrist rest. I have an older one made of a flexible dense rubbery material. it is about 18" x 2.5" and adapts well to all kinds of bends.
...and yet another DIY alternative.

Link

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding block for curved surfaces? Reply with quote

I made a bunch of different sizes and shapes out of old flip flops.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craigbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding block for curved surfaces? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Another DIY option is a computer keyboard wrist rest. I have an older one made of a flexible dense rubbery material. it is about 18" x 2.5" and adapts well to all kinds of bends.
...and yet another DIY alternative.

Link

That's a great video!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding block for curved surfaces? Reply with quote

If you use anything less dense that a Duro block keep a light touch otherwise you’ll force the surface into the low spots.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Craigbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding block for curved surfaces? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
If you use anything less dense that a Duro block keep a light touch otherwise you’ll force the surface into the low spots.

Agreed! I find that with all of the compound curves on the Ghia the "knee board" sanders are able to flex a bit more that the Durablocks and touch the surfaces better. But like you mentioned, a light touch keeps things level.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding block for curved surfaces? Reply with quote

I use duroblocks and sometimes plastic strips like this https://bkblocks.com/, just not that fancy

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Craigbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding block for curved surfaces? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I use duroblocks and sometimes plastic strips like this https://bkblocks.com/, just not that fancy

Thanks!
I have seen the acrylic blocks several places and ended up picking up an acrylic sheet at HDepot and some epoxy so that I could laminate it to varying flexibilities. I've just made a couple of firm ones so far. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Last edited by Craigbro on Sat May 29, 2021 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Craigbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding block for curved surfaces? Reply with quote

Craigbro wrote:
W1K1 wrote:

Thanks!
I have seen the acrylic blocks several places and ended up picking up an acrylic sheet at HDepot and some epoxy so that I could laminate it to varying flexibilities. I've just made a couple of firm ones so far. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: