Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Missing Part (jet or port) 34-pict3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: A Missing Part (jet or port) 34-pict3 Reply with quote

While rebuilding an old german-made solex 34-pict3 I noticed a port or jet within the bowl that wasn't in the "new" euromax 34-pict3. The one that's been leaking gas from the throttle shaft and driving me nuts for a long, long time. - The rebuilt german solex is working fine, and NO LEAK.

In the picture you can see the "new" carb. The hole is definitely threaded. Apparently, at least to me, a piece was omitted in the factory.

Does anyone have a name for that part?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevhum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No missing jet there.That is A plug .Theirs A check valve under it in the forum of A ball bearing.The threads are there so you can thread A screw in it to pull the plug and access the check valve.
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't explain how the old german-made carb has a fitting screwed in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics of this fitting? That picture looks perfectly normal to me.
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's in the carb now, and the engine's running great. - The piece is small, obviously, projects only a few milimeters, and is slotted to remove with a screwdriver. Thru the center is a small hole(pinpoint).
kevhum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found A discussion on another forum on it hears the link http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/vw-air-cooled/9296/34-pict-3-Carb-clean-rebuild-question
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone's information I'll uncover the carb and post a photo later today.
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay my friends. I took the carb back off the engine this afternoon so I could open it back up and take some pics. Here they are...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
JGax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else put it there, it does not goes there.

Believe it is screw into the ball check holder.

Not needed remove
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound quite right. Possibly used only in the U.S. - Waiting to hear Glenn or Keifernet weigh in on the subject. - Regardless, it's in My german-made Solex 34-pict3 and it's running nicely.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGax wrote:
Someone else put it there, it does not goes there.

Believe it is screw into the ball check holder.

Not needed remove

Yep, wrong part screwed into the wrong place. that does NOT belong there.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea just what that piece is? - Thinking about it now, the carb that was given to me had a solenoid cut-off without the rubber gasket, and the accelerator pump linkage had a wrong piece. Someone probably put it together from a pile of parts, and that person saw the opening and found something to put in it.

I'll go ahead and remove it like you say. See if it makes any difference.

Thanks...Rich
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That jet goes in the carb under the small brass plug next to the idle pilot jet. Wonder who or how
the hell it got screwed into the brass plug for the accelerator check ball I can't imagine.

If in fact there is no jet ( that tiny jet is actually called the high speed enrichment jet) where it is supposed to be the carb will have some issues running/tuning richer perhaps. May seem to run well but it's sucking extra fuel so... it can be made to run better if you put the jet back where it belongs (obviously LOL)

When the jet is clogged up ( in the case of other dirty/older carbs) you get lean popping, hard tune mixture, set idle and engine rev's poorly.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. - I'll take the carb off later today. First I'l remove that piece from the bowl. Then I'll remove the brass plug by the pilot jet. I wouldn't be surprised for whatever I find in there.
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took the carb off as planned and removed the piece that was screwed into the bowl. - Then, I removed the plug next to the choke, and found that the jet was there where it should've been. Evidently someone put this carb together from a pile of parts and they added one where there shouldn't have been.

I was still having trouble adjusting the idle. The air bypass screw just would not turn smoothly. - I found another one in my box and it fit so much better despite looking identical. Now it idles and adjusts like it should.

I didn't think much about it before, but despite looking identical the 2 pieces must be of slightly different size, etc.

Anyway, things have ended well for this rebuilt carb, and I learned a lot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: