Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

opinion: Is Bigger Better?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bviwahine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: opinion: Is Bigger Better? Reply with quote

Hi,
It's time for new tires and I want to go bigger. The question is not simply what size but is bigger in the rear better?

I have a 2003 stock height Mexican Beetle/Sedan that is my daily driver of 7 years and will continue to be. I will be putting on 5" -5/5" rims so there are no issues with size there and I actually WANT a little more height as I oftern bottom out on our driveway.

Important: Where I live is all mountain driving on the worst paved roads you can imagine....black top washed off with 2 - 4" inch drops, potholes, concrete washboard, etc. Also, I rarely drive over 45mph do to road conditions, hairpin turns, steep hills, etc. My daily drive is 30min to and from work four days a week.

As I've been talking with friends the common thread is that I should put larger tires on the rear than the front and I've gotten many opinions and reasons for this. What is your opinion, if yes, how large and why?

Thanks ahead of time.

Scottie
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and get 78 or 80 series tires in what ever cross sectional width you get. More 'cushion' for the pits.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcnjoe60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like the way it rides/handles now? If so, put the same size tire on that you have now. If your concern is with occasionally bottoming out, unless you are just barely scraping, a larger tire, at least one that will still fit in the rear fender probably won't raise you up enough to make a significant difference.
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By your description of the roads, maybe you should go with something like a class 11 car -- like 215/75R15, which will fit on a 5.5" rim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnR wrote:
By your description of the roads, maybe you should go with something like a class 11 car -- like 215/75R15, which will fit on a 5.5" rim.

Class 11 guys run 235/75R15s on 4" rims. This will only work on lifted bugs. Not sure if the OP is looking to lift his bug or just get the biggest tires on he can at the stock height. He's stock now.

Lifted... the sky's the limit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's why I said something like class 11. The 215/75 would better fit 5.5" rims (than 4") and add about one inch of height to the car. I'd think they would fit without a body lift kit, as long as the front is not lowered.
bviwahine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all stock but will get 5-5.5 wheels and no I don't like the way it handles these roads...hard and slippery.
Ok, but I'm curious as to the effect that bigger in rear than on front has on the car, handling, gears, etc? Should I run the same size all the way around?

Anyone have any thoughts on a 205/70/15? Would it fit up front without rubbing?
MLTIGGER2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!! What does it take to lift a bug that high?
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLTIGGER2 wrote:

Cut & Turn, lifted spindles, or both up front.
Reindexed rear, T2 or T4 or 930 CVs, with matched stubaxles and output flanges.

I love having a baja, but those lifted bugs are the cats ass IMO.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotrat wrote:
MLTIGGER2 wrote:

Cut & Turn, lifted spindles, or both up front.
Reindexed rear, T2 or T4 or 930 CVs, with matched stubaxles and output flanges.

I love having a baja, but those lifted bugs are the cats ass IMO.
Before I decided to sell my 1969 bug, thats what I was going to do, my plans were: A bus tranny with the reduction boxes, Thing spindles, I live in the PNW so its more mountain trails and mud then sand and open desert, So having the gears is nice! that with all the other little things to make it fun Wink like A rack, A set of duckboards, roll-cage, skid plates,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: