Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 beetle stalls when i hit the gas
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
617dannyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: 1969 beetle stalls when i hit the gas Reply with quote

Just brought out my 1969 vw bug for the summer. It starts up great and idles, but as soon as i hit the gas it starts to stall out. I checked out the plug wires they are all on tight. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing correct?
Advance mechanism working?
Accel pump squirting properly in carb?
617dannyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the easiest way to check the timing?? The bug was running decent last year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you really need is a 12V test light (light bulb and wire).

Best to get a manual to tell you the details. A combo of the Muir "Idiot" book and the VW-authorized Bentley manual will take care of 99% of your needs.

In the meantime, use the "static" timing procedure here:
http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html#static

I am not 100% sure but I think the '69 is timed statically at 7.5 degrees BTDC.
ballsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that issue once. Idles great, but dies out when you hit the gas. I had a kink in the soft fuel line from the gas tank to the tunnel. You might also check your fuel filter. You might be getting just enough gas to idle, but not enough to rev, good luck.
617dannyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuel filter looks good I will check the fuel line though. I was actually thinking it might be some kind of air problem, the carburetor not getting air. I took the air filter of and ran it, same problem.
Hammarlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the car was running good before parking it, the following come to mind:

Fuel pump diaphragm became brittle from disuse and tore. This one is especially likely if the oil level seems to have increased over the winter. Check the oil in the sump for a gasoline smell. If gas got in the oil, it must be changed before you do anything else.

Check and make sure the automatic choke is adjusted properly.

Water in fuel or fuel otherwise degraded. Drain the tank and put in fresh fuel (you may already have done this). I've heard some stories about ethanol fuel, cold, and moisture, but I don't have any personal experience, and certainly not experience with ethanol in your climate!

Spark plugs or points (if any) corroded over winter. Check the spark. If it is not bright and blue, it might not be good enough under acceleration.

Evaporation of fuel during disuse may have caused the carb jets to gum up (or the acceleration pump, as Phil points out).

Those are some of the obvious ones that can develop after several months of inactivity. Maybe some of the more experienced hands can think of others.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like KTPhil said - check that the accelerator pump is working - classic symptom is stalling when trying to accelerate. Pull the air cleaner off (engine off) look into the carb with a flashlight and pull the throttle arm down and see if you can see a squirt of gas jet down into the carb throat.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
617dannyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i adjusted the timing, no change I'm beginning to think that it must be the fuel pump. Although could it be an air problem?? the manifold doesn't seem to be getting hot. It only gets hot in one place???
Hammarlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, please give us more detail? Type of carb, distributor, single or dual port, etc. You have checked the timing; but no one can tell if you have done this correctly or not until we know how you did it and what kind of distributor you have.

Quote:
the manifold doesn't seem to be getting hot. It only gets hot in one place???

It certainly sounds like your risers are plugged. Do you see icing/condensation on the carb/manifold?

However, your other symptom (stalls when given gas) is not the classic plugged riser symptom. Cars with plugged risers characteristically start and run ok until they are asked to idle after runs at higher speeds, when the higher amount of air flow through the carb causes higher buildup of moisture.

Check the accelerator pump, as Phil suggests. If it is working, then you can check your fuel pressure or volume to assure the main pump is working correctly. You can also check for vacuum leaks.

Occasionally a weak spark will cause this problem; but the first thing to check is definitely the accelerator pump. That is the most common cause of the problem you are having, and Old VW Nut has told you how; it literally only takes a minute or so.

Finally, make sure you have set the timing correctly for your type of distributor. If you have a stock vacuum advance distributor, set it statically from the timing chart. If you have a 009 mechanical-only distributor, set it for 32 degrees full advance at 3500 rpm.

Since messing with the timing didn't help, it may have been set correctly to begin with. Incorrectly set timing can destroy a VW engine in a very few miles, so you may need to put it back where it was.
617dannyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i changed the fuel pump with a brand new one- same problem I'm 99 percent sure the gas gummed up the carburetor over the winter. I'm going to try an additive in the gas tank, see if that will help.
DillonG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle stalls when i hit the gas Reply with quote

Hi guys I'm having some trouble with my beetle...idles great and starts on the turn but the issue I'm having is it stalls on all gears...will be much appreciated if I could get some help Thanks in advance
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle stalls when i hit the gas Reply with quote

DillonG wrote:
Hi guys I'm having some trouble with my beetle...idles great and starts on the turn but the issue I'm having is it stalls on all gears...will be much appreciated if I could get some help Thanks in advance

Without significant more information, even Carnac the Magnificent would be unable to guess at the issue.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle stalls when i hit the gas Reply with quote

DillonG wrote:

Please give us some details, what year car, stock or modified motor? which type of carb and dizzie is in the car?

Generally this type of problem is fuel related, or maybe timing, assuming the motor is ok otherwise (are valves adjusted?, do you have intake leaks?, is compression good?),

sometime the carb needs rebuilding, cleaning, new gaskets, etc...
If you have a vacuum advance dizzie, please check that it is operating. pull the hoses off the carb or intake and suck on them one at a time and determine if the breaker point plate moves, and if the system holds vacuum how is the breaker point gap?
Have you attempted any tune up, any history of the motor prior to the problem can help also

Anyway please supply some more details, details can help us help you.

And a big Welcome to the Samba to you and your Bug! Laughing Very Happy Smile Wink Laughing Smile Very Happy

Bug On!

ps where are you located?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle stalls when i hit the gas Reply with quote

Best advice I got and now give is that whenever the VW isn't running right, go through the tune-up procedure (starting with a valve adjustment).

VW tune-ups cost nothing but time, and along the way you will (1) probably find the problem, such as loose valve or slipped timing; or if not, then (2) you will have eliminated the most common causes before you go the expensive route of randomly replacing parts.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle stalls when i hit the gas Reply with quote

Keep throwing parts at it then listen to these people . Clean and overhaul carburetor then do a tune up and look inside fuel tank . Also replace fuel hoses .
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle stalls when i hit the gas Reply with quote

next time car will sit put in fuel stabilizer, or better run till empty and put in off road gas. the ethanol eats fuel system when moisture invades.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: