Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torque Wrench
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moncton_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Torque Wrench Reply with quote

I'm about to go out and purchase a torque wrench to do some spring cleaning on my bay and was wondering if anyone has comments or ever used a digital torque adapter for a socket wrench?

If so, is it acurate? work well?
RocketRod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used a digital TQ. For clicker type there is a percentage on the low and high scale that is not as accurate. They can be dialed in to closer tolerances by a calibration facility, but that is not normally needed for most applications. It would be nice to have a test station before you buy to check it though, just not to feasible for the places selling them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call TeamTorque and ask them about the brand. I have all my torque wrenches cleaned and calibrated every other year there. You won't find nicer people in that industry. http://www.teamtorque.com/
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy quality on this one. Snap on click type is what I have because I'm old. My neighbor has a MAC digital because he's a punk. And I borrow it all the time. It just seems a little bit more sensitive.
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime into this. I'm currently the Non Commissioned Officer In Charge for my Squadron Aircraft Maintenance Consolidated Tool Krib. I have to deal with torque wrenches on a daily basis. We use Snap on/Blue Point all the time, and that's four different assignments under my belt. We use analog and digital. Digital works great! You don't have to sit there and dial in, you push a button and bam it's get you to your setting. When it tourqes down, it vibrates and beeps.

Make sure that every time you use it, cycle it 7 times at it's lowest setting, this lubes up the internal moving parts. Store it at it's lowest setting as this aliveates any tension on the internal spring and will extend it's life. Never drop it you will lose your calibration, if you do drop it, get it re-calibrated. Lastly, if it has high use in your personal tool time, get it calibrated atleast every 4 months. These are standard operating procedures for us in the business of Air Force aircraft maintenance and in accordance with our governing standards. Our torque wrenches are scheduled for calibration regardless of their use. All of our torque wrenches get certified and are w/ in 10% of their operating range, including digital by Snap On/Blue Point.

It is what it is

Last edited by 6sixTinBox on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
MalibuLX3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add one slight note on the subject of torque wrenches.

Snap On torque wrenches are made by CDI Torque Products. CDI torque wrenches can be found for less than Snap On and the only difference is that they don't have "Snap On" printed on the side and they are not Snap On red.

Otherwise, same torque wrench in every other aspect.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are young, under 30ish, get the best quality you can afford but one that has repair parts available. Torque wrenches are personal and they stay with you a life time. A well known brand can be rebuilt and recalibrated at a very reasonable price.
moncton_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm 33 but I still consider myself youghish... and have been acused of being a punk.

Looking at a couple from Canadian Tire, reg price around $ 125 but they are currently on sale. Would you recommend 3/8" or 1/2"? Or one of each?

Is 30-250 in/lbs a good range? My neighbour is has a mechanic shop next door and I see the snap-on rep on a regular basis so I could splurge but I still have my tach-dwell, timing light and biking season is just around the corner and my DH sled needs and new Fox front end (people think Koni's are expensive at $ 400, try $ 1,200 for front bicycle shocks)

Thanks for all your help folks
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the bolts on a VW engine (aluminum block) range from about 7 ft-lbs to about 20 ft-lbs. These low-value bolts are critical for torque. The big bolts (wheels, suspension pieces, gland nuts, etc) are not quite as likely to damage something if you don't get the torque exact, and I find it easier to estimate large torque values using my "calibrated" arm muscles. (each grunt equals 10 ft-lbs) If I could only have one torque wrench it would be a small one. But the best is to have a small inch-pound wrench for the engine work and a large 1/2 drive wrench for the bigger stuff.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moncton_vw wrote:
Looking at a couple from Canadian Tire

not very good. maybe better than not using a torque wrench at all, but barely.

as far as range, for a VW bus you need three torque wrenches to cover the range required. there's no way around this.
moncton_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look for a higher quality smaller 3/8" one... thanks
wayradmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use snap-on torque wrenches daily on C-130s. They are pretty tough, not to mention meet Mil-Spec requirements.

"When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life... " (Spamalot/Life of Brian)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these below and they were all bought at reasonable prices. All are calibrated and I put the calibration aheet into an Excel spreadsheet, print it, cut out the cells and tape it to the wrench. Then I can look at it and know where to set it at any range to get an accurate reading.

3/8 clicker about 5 to 75 ft pounds
1/2 clicker 30 to 250 ft pounds (can cheat a little more)
1/2 beam wrench 0-100 ft pounds
3/8 beam 0 - 100 inch pounds
3/8 beam 0 - 25 inch pounds
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the digital wrench adapter the OP was asking about, they run around $50 and are supposedly very accurate but most of the reviews I read said they were a bit clumsy to use as a wrench. A number of people online checked them against expensive calibration machines and found numbers within fractions of a percent. So they are very good for checking the accuracy of your regular torque wrenches. Maybe the best setup for small money/home use is to buy a cheap set of taiwan torque wrenches and calibrate them using the torque adapter.
El_Güero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/8 0-400Nm for engine assembling
1/2 0-2000Nm for suspension and general axle work
3/4 0-4000Nm for gland nut, pinion nut and rear wheel asembly

Craftsman, motormeter, Proto, stahlwille, its all good Wink allways readjust to cero once the job is concluded that way they stay calibrated for very long periods.

"Si quiero estar encabronado
hazte a un lado...cabrón!"
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought new snap-on torque wrench's off e-bay that were over purchase from outfits that were selling them off and I payed half of snap-on price's. I have been lucky buying them this way but a guy can get stung from guys who are not telling the truth on e-bay.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would really have to be using a torque wrench a lot to justify the time and expensive of calibration every three months. it all well and good to talk about what you use as a professional all day long, but is the OP going to use it just to repair his own car occasionally?

thats what i use my torque wrench for, and in 35 years have not found a good enough reason to buy a clicker. but i will admit they are good for suspension work where it is sometimes difficult to read a scale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildwesterner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuLX3 wrote:

Snap On torque wrenches are made by CDI Torque Products. CDI torque wrenches can be found for less than Snap On and the only difference is that they don't have "Snap On" printed on the side and they are not Snap On red.

As a son of a Snap-On franchise, I must say that the Snap-On red is very important.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildwesterner wrote:
MalibuLX3 wrote:

As a son of a Snap-On franchise, I must say that the Snap-On red is very important.

very important for what? the franchise profits?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thats what i use my torque wrench for, and in 35 years have not found a good enough reason to buy a clicker. but i will admit they are good for suspension work where it is sometimes difficult to read a scale.

Lots of places they come in handy but they really do need calibration once in awhile and they do go bad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: