Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed Exhaust? (Do you have it?)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Vintage Speed Exhaust? (Do you have it?) Reply with quote

Yes I searched for "Vintage Speed and VintageSpeed" there were several threads, but no one who had actually bought one. Several people mentioned they thought the shipping price was cost prohibitive, which maybe so, and its expensive, but I have a crappy aftermarket exhaust on my Westy and I've been looking at alternatives. I'm one of the few who prefer to pay more the first time and not have to do it again. Would love to get my hands on a complete stock exhaust and ceramic coat it, but havent stumbled into one yet. Not doing the heater box swap, at least not at this time. I dont want this to turn into a discussion why I should. I'm asking about this particular replacement. In my searches, I read bad things on here about the Thunderbird, but this one looks good. Stainless, so hopefully its durable. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it at all. Sound/Fit/Quality. Yes, I read their feedback thread. Yes, I watched all of their YouTube videos. I'm asking you.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=905828

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slammedresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a few people on earlybay.com who have fitted them Kirk

F1 and Motorsport memorabilia
www.finallap.net

Click to view image
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Ill head over that way.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waves2day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk,
I'm in the same situation. Been running a junk EMPI quiet pack exhuast for a long time and have been looking at this beauty for a while. Just wonder if its all its cracked up to be. Hope you find some good info. If you end up buying one please post about it. Mahalo.
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waves2day wrote:
Kirk,
... and have been looking at this beauty for a while...

Beauty yes...just not $500+ worth of beauty there. Just my .02

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so, but what would it cost me to buy a complete stock exhaust, then new hardware, then ceramic coat it? And would I come out ahead this way? Performance/Durability wise?

Questions, Questions.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one but I think the two choices without a catalytic short of a full blown header system would be, if I were looking for eye-appeal, design, what I can see of quality, and what I know of how to make power:

yes but $435

or this one sprayed with rattlecan aluminum which will last a very long time for $179

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=071251053E

AND - to benefit HP wise from what looks like extra breathing ability on the top one you will need a set of dual carbs, some nice aircleaners, some porting and polishing on your heads and a much longer duration camshaft.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but I have a '77. Thus part of the problem. I'm not changing the heat exchangers.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Right, but I have a '77. Thus part of the problem. I'm not changing the heat exchangers.

Ok - I am missing something here Kirk. Help me out. The unit in that photo is not designed to fit a 1977 T4 unit so why are you asking about it? It will only work if you have the 72-74 heat exchangers or the 1979 motor with stock heat exchangers. The 75-78 vehicles use a different style heat exchanger that does not have the five bolt trapezoidal flanges. 1977 is triangular 3 bolt. Neither of the units above will fit a 1975-78 bus unless it has 72-74 heat exchangers.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Its the only pic they had. Apparently they make them for both they 72-74 and the 75-78. I can see how that could be confusing. Sorry 'bout that. Otherwise kinda sucks for us 75-78 guys.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're gonna drop 5 bills on an exhaust, you should call them to see if they offer the needed flange.
Quote:
5. Fit under your rear apron for type 4 engine baywindow bus pre1979
6. For Type 4 engine 1700c.c. ~ 2400c.c.

Killerwatt (Samba member ) is running the T-1 unit on his split. You should contact him as to the QUALITY .

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Sorry. Its the only pic they had. Apparently they make them for both they 72-74 and the 75-78. I can see how that could be confusing. Sorry 'bout that. Otherwise kinda sucks for us 75-78 guys.

"Apparently?"

I didn't see it on their site. Technically it will fit a 75-78 if you replace the heat exchangers. As suggested, call them first before you drop $500 on something that doesn't fit. I would be a little concerned of theft too if it is a daily driver or it gets parked and left for hours at a time.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still no one who "has it"?

we did one on a split bus. from what i saw of the quality it is top notch. these are hand made. not mass produced.
the turn around time was a bit long unless you can find someone in the states that "has it" and you can "buy it" from them Smile

we are looking into a 550 spyder style unit for a replica.
they will basically fab up anything you want.
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1977_L63H_P27 wrote:
Waves2day wrote:
Kirk,

Agreed. Well, sortof.

I can't imagine the HP gain per $ is possibly worth it on a stock engine. A built engine turning 5k+ RPM? Absolutely. But stock will almost certainly work best for stock.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esher127 wrote:
1977_L63H_P27 wrote:
Waves2day wrote:
Kirk,

Agreed. Well, sortof.

I can't imagine the HP gain per $ is possibly worth it on a stock engine. A built engine turning 5k+ RPM? Absolutely. But stock will almost certainly work best for stock.

The advantage is the stainless steel. Any HP gain is just gravy. Right now the vast majority of the exhaust choices are made in China out of old license plates welded together with coat hangers and painted with dry erase markers. They last one, maybe two years of use. The few things that aren't actually cost more than $500 (Tangerine Racing, whatever Raby is working on) and none of them are made out of stainless.

Also a stock muffler has been proven to make less power than a decent aftermarket header, even on a stock motor.
hurst_dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this Vintage Speed exhaust for a while too as it seems to fit well and keeps ground clearance the same as stock, the $500 would be justified since it's SS and should last 5x as long as any EMPI with hopefully better performance.

This thread has some interesting exhaust info, if you haven't read it already: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423803&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

...Ray Greenwood has a good post on the 2nd page talking about how increasing the volume of the stock muffler gives cooler temps and better power/MPG on a 1700, so I'd think that the higher volume of this Vintage Speed should allow the same benefits for a 2L.

Kirk wrote:

I looked on their site as well and didn't see anything about it working with '75-'78 HEs, could you post a link? That would save me some effort of switching to '72-'74 HEs before upgrading the exhaust, though I can see that the earlier HEs would definitely be better for flow etc.
atomicmime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as if, under the Type 4 Features in their ad, they are saying all flange types are available:

3. Thick nickel plated steel Flanges can be match port

So, triangular flanges should be available.
'72 Westy
'79 Super Beetle (now electric!)
'13 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
Right now the vast majority of the exhaust choices are made in China out of old license plates welded together with coat hangers and painted with dry erase markers.
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO Laughing

Bay owners have been talking about the Holy Grail of mufflers since the 1970s, maybe before and still no one wants to get behind one they are so slow.

Below is a graph of HP and torque on 914-4 engines. One of the main HP differences other than the 914-6 on one trace is camshafts. Notice how little difference there is in HP until the RPM range increases to 3500-4000 RPM. The same for torque, it has much to do with the cam and engine displacement at the lower RPMS.

$500 is for eye appeal only unless you have the cam, carbs, intake and porting to go with it. As long as you understand and accept that, go for it.

Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless steel is not all its cracked up to be for street cars.. The material is very difficult to keep from cracking around welds and flanges..

I have experienced the Vintage Speed units and they do have their applications.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: