Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starlink satellite internet
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

I just paid my deposit for my Starlink and should be getting the setup in about two weeks. This should be game changer for me working and traveling. I just checked and I have used 140gb of data in the past 30 days. I don't really watch or download movies either.

If anyone doesn't know, Starlink is SpaceX's satellite internet. Users can expect to see download speeds between 100 Mb/s and 200 Mb/s and latency as low as 20ms in most locations. $110 a month. $550 for the hardware.

Has anyone mounted one of these to their Vanagon yet? I can't wait to get mine in and mount it up!
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

I was thinking the same - would be handy when traveling as it seems small enough.

Put in my deposit two years ago (don’t tell my star gazing friends or they’ll beat me with a rubber hose) Hasn’t made it this far north yet, but is close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

Can you use it anywhere or are you limited to a grid block?

Forgive me I’m not in the loop on the latest with Starlink, last I heard it wasn’t set up to be fully mobile yet. I am excited when/if the day comes you can go anywhere with it.

-Rob
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I just paid my deposit for my Starlink and should be getting the setup in about two weeks.

Hold your horses. I paid my deposit in Feb '21. Still no satellite. Big back log. Check out FB Starlink group to validate, if you so choose. Lots of reports there of happy users and almost equally people who are still waiting.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

What voltage does the starlink hardware work on?
If it is the standard US alternating current, how long can you run the setup using a 12v DC to 120 AC convertor?

How is the signal affected by weather?
I've had satellite TV in years gone by and bad weather certainly scrambled and pixeled the signal.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
I just paid my deposit for my Starlink and should be getting the setup in about two weeks.

Hold your horses. I paid my deposit in Feb '21. Still no satellite. Big back log. Check out FB Starlink group to validate, if you so choose. Lots of reports there of happy users and almost equally people who are still waiting.

Sorry poor choice of words on my part. I too paid my deposit in Feb '21. Just got the email to pay for the price of the hardware. ETA 2 weeks.

Robw_z wrote:
Can you use it anywhere or are you limited to a grid block?

Forgive me I’m not in the loop on the latest with Starlink, last I heard it wasn’t set up to be fully mobile yet. I am excited when/if the day comes you can go anywhere with it.

-Rob

I have read they plan to allow for Starlink to work mobile. I read somewhere a trucker updated his location 80 times last year in his account. Does this process take like 5 minutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p3sr4Zb3Qw

I believe you can flip a 'roaming' switch on in the configurations and it would enable roaming.

Obviously, I will beta test this on weekends before I go full send and go cross country.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

I paid my deposit in May '21 and am told mid-2022 for arrival of the equipment. A friend paid their deposit in Jan '21 and has ad the equipment for a couple of months so it seems they're making it through the backlog.

Starlink uses AC and reports say it uses 100 watts which will require a proper solar system to support. The heater used to melt snow on the antenna is a factor (I don't know if it's on 24x7 or only when temps drop to snow accumulation levels). If I run Starlink 24x7 at my off-grid location it will be the #1 power consumer (my pig of a fridge uses about 1.8kwh per day) so I'll plan to turn it on only when using the internets.

Apparently cats like the heated antenna:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

ive had starlink for almost 1.5 years now at my cabin in yosemite.

Couple things to note:

This thing will be the right tool for the job if they let you.

Geo-fencing
So currently its sort of geo-fenced. If you take it out of your address (i.e. slap it on the van), they will throttle you so that your speeds drop.

Now about the speeds:
When i got it, iw as getting about 100/100. Now that number is dropping to somewhere around 25/5. My guess is that there are a lot more subscribers on each satellite node. Ive seen at least one of the starlink terminals on the outside of a neighbors place.

About power draw:
I havent measured the current directly (its VAC), but do mind you that it has a really large brick which provides PoE to the terminal itself, which in turn has ice melt heaters, etc. Not sure how much juice it draws on the regular, but it certainly has the capacity to suck down.

About the setup:
Another thing to note is that you need their router and cant use your own low power one since they use a proprietary protocol for routing.

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

100 watts AC is I believe roughly 10 amps DC. That is quite a bit of load. I might have to step up to 600ah LiFePo4 and 400w rooftop (as opposed to 200w). Not a huge deal but I wish that power consumption was half. I can max out my 15amp solar controller right now in 'ideal' conditions with 200w rooftop and 130w portable. But a cloudy day, I would be in the negative.

Anyhow, I can work through that. Just running out of space in this small van. I would obviously have to work at a campground during rainy/bad weather...or travel daily and charge by DC-DC.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

How is the signal affected by weather?
I've had satellite TV in years gone by and bad weather certainly scrambled and pixeled the signal.

Dave

I'm not sure about weather, but the antenna needs a fairly clear view of the north sky (different from other satellite systems that generally point south). Starlink provides an app that allows you to scan the sky to see what the reception will be. It doesn't take much to disrupt the connection to a satellite, even a tree cause occasional problems so a cabin or campsite nestled in the woods is not a great location.

That said, I know a few people who love their Starlink and gladly dropped high-earth orbit internet providers for remarkably improved performance (speed and latency) provided by Starlink.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I paid my deposit in May '21 and am told mid-2022 for arrival of the equipment. A friend paid their deposit in Jan '21 and has ad the equipment for a couple of months so it seems they're making it through the backlog.

Starlink uses AC and reports say it uses 100 watts which will require a proper solar system to support. The heater used to melt snow on the antenna is a factor (I don't know if it's on 24x7 or only when temps drop to snow accumulation levels). If I run Starlink 24x7 at my off-grid location it will be the #1 power consumer (my pig of a fridge uses about 1.8kwh per day) so I'll plan to turn it on only when using the internets.

Apparently cats like the heated antenna:

Cat 5 cable link, obviously
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Cat 5 cable link, obviously

HA!

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

yeah, take note of a few things as well---

my gen1 circle model has the CAT6 hard wired into the satellite. This is a total pain since they give a 100' cable. Just get ready to cut and crimp. I believe they use the B standard.

Second, that obstruction issue is HUGE. My plan to eventually use this requires some serious telescoping of that antennae. Even the slightest tree in the way will cause this thing to just cut for 3-5 second periodically as satellites pass.

By no means is this the great internet we crave to work from timbuktu, but its the best thing out there in '22.

Amazon just launched their first satellites, lets hope some ol' fashion capitalism drives the price down and quality up-well see.

pic of my little treefort with starlink:

My Build Thread:
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

I can verify that 10 to 10.5 amps is what I have seen, as I first tested my SL in my bus back a year when I got it. That was with 5 concurrent users all in the bus on handheld stuff, and one TV playing a Netfilx or such. The SL load was on top of the other loads I had going at the time, and my 120ah LFP would have only held out for around 10 hours. I haven't checked my donw/up lately, but my service has actually improved; I don't see as many sat-handoff drops as I first did about a year ago. I do network and systems work and have had decent connectivity for vid-conferencing, and commandline remote sessions.

I would like to support a local ISP, but for now I have SL and it is adequate. The price jump is aggravating.

I did not take my SL very far to 'test mobility' so no further data on that.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

yes, that price gouge jump.. grr
Most def my `beta downtime` is almost completely eliminated and the service has become more stable, just been heavily reduced in throughput. I also work in the tech infrastructure space

bobbyblack wrote:
I can verify that 10 to 10.5 amps is what I have seen, as I first tested my SL in my bus back a year when I got it. That was with 5 concurrent users all in the bus on handheld stuff, and one TV playing a Netfilx or such. The SL load was on top of the other loads I had going at the time, and my 120ah LFP would have only held out for around 10 hours. I haven't checked my donw/up lately, but my service has actually improved; I don't see as many sat-handoff drops as I first did about a year ago. I do network and systems work and have had decent connectivity for vid-conferencing, and commandline remote sessions.

I would like to support a local ISP, but for now I have SL and it is adequate. The price jump is aggravating.

I did not take my SL very far to 'test mobility' so no further data on that.

My Build Thread:
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

I am more of a “settler” than a “pioneer” when it comes to new technology. Think I will wait until it is safe out their in Indian Country!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

Do you need Starlink because you will be in areas with zero cell signal such that a cell booster could not work?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Do you need Starlink because you will be in areas with zero cell signal such that a cell booster could not work?

Yes and the fact I go through 150GB a month. I work for a digital agency and frequently pulling down projects.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

dont want to hijack.. but i chose to get into starlink due to data caps.
Couldnt run video calls on zoom 5x10days a week on a mifi, they end up capping out at pretty low data limits and then set your priority down to peon status where you cant even check email

My Build Thread:
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starlink satellite internet Reply with quote

Got it. I VPN in to my computer at the office so my data needs are modest.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: