Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Abarth 36 Hp carburator kit
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
6V-Knechten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Abarth 36 Hp carburator kit Reply with quote

A carburator kit has found it's way into our garage. The kit fitted a 36 Hp "dummy" engine very well, and the fuel lines matches up perfectly with the fuelpump. The intake manifolds have a "Abarth" logo each, and the aircleaners supplied has a "F.I.S.P.A Torino" sign on them. The carburators looks like Solex 32 PBIC as far as I can tell. The setup seems very wide, but after some control meassuring, the engine would squeeze in my 52 T1 with some milimeters clearence. The linkage is missing on the kit, but it looks like a kadron-like linkage could fit. I have searched the internet, and this forum, without finding much information about this kit. There is no doubt that it's "factory" made, and not a home-build. Any information on this Abarth kit would be very helpful, especially something that can show the linkage. I will try to post some more pictures on the garage blog: http://outlavws.blogspot.com

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwtoyguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That carb setup is pretty cool.

The Solex 32 PBIC carbs where used in the Okrasa kits as well.
1967 Beetle Volksrod Project
1967 Beetle Ratrod project
1971 Super Beetle
1971 Squareback
1971 Bus
1972 Beetle
1973 German market standard Beetle
1974 Super Beetle Baja
1988 Scirocco

Home of the most knowledgeable Herbie The Love Bug enthusiasts on the Web
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oval53/split52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Abarth 36 Hp carburator kit Reply with quote

I've been following this tread carefully. Lots of people have read it, but allmost no replys. WHHY?? Confused

This kit has to be extremely rare - and rare stuff is often commented.
Express anlage is next to nothing in rarity compared to this. Razz

Dig deep into your old adds and see if you can find some information about it. Pleeeaase..

6V-Knechten wrote:
A carburator kit has found it's way into our garage. The kit fitted a 36 Hp "dummy" engine very well, and the fuel lines matches up perfectly with the fuelpump. The intake manifolds have a "Abarth" logo each, and the aircleaners supplied has a "F.I.S.P.A Torino" sign on them. The carburators looks like Solex 32 PBIC as far as I can tell. The setup seems very wide, but after some control meassuring, the engine would squeeze in my 52 T1 with some milimeters clearence. The linkage is missing on the kit, but it looks like a kadron-like linkage could fit. I have searched the internet, and this forum, without finding much information about this kit. There is no doubt that it's "factory" made, and not a home-build. Any information on this Abarth kit would be very helpful, especially something that can show the linkage. I will try to post some more pictures on the garage blog: http://outlavws.blogspot.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Abarth 36 Hp carburator kit Reply with quote

[quote="oval53/split52"]I've been following this tread carefully. Lots of people have read it, but allmost no replys. WHHY?? Confused

This kit has to be extremely rare - and rare stuff is often commented.
Express anlage is next to nothing in rarity compared to this. Razz

Dig deep into your old adds and see if you can find some information about it. Pleeeaase..

6V-Knechten wrote:

quote]

the problem would be that nobdy has ever seen a kit like yours!

pretty cool, but the manofolds look like a convertion from an original cuted an welded manofold mouted with a side change from left to right...

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4
1957 Oval Ragtop 1584ccm singel port modified
1950 Hebmüller, 1584ccm okrasa modified

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6V-Knechten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another angle of the manifold. I don't think it has much to do with a "redone" OG manifold, except perhaps the flanges. The only information tracked down on the internet is of course the famous exhaust systems made by Abarth&Co. But Abarth were also working toghether with Porsche in the fifthies, developing their racing cars. Given that this carburator kit has 32 PBIC carburators, the same used on early 356 and Okrasa, there could be a connection? I have also heard that someone maybe has seen a Ghia with this kind of setup in a magazine some years ago. Hopefully the kit will be cleaned up and running on an engine before the summer.
Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was searching a while back and didn't find much. I found a few pictures similar to your set up on some 356 Porsches. I don't know any for sure though.

Air Riders, VW Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6V-Knechten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the latest latest "score" on the internet. A schwimmwagen with a aircleaner that looks very similar to the filters on the Abarth-kit.

Anybody out there with some information? I would be very happy for any feedback.
6V-Knechten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Time for a update Reply with quote

Well it's been a while since the last posting about this carburator kit. But now the carburator kit is mounted and tested. I mounted the manifolds, carbs and aircleaners to a stock 36 Hp industrial engine with few running hours. The original fuel line was rotten and is temporary replaced by a modern rubber hose and banjo fittings. The linkage for the kit was missing, and a modified CSP linkage is bolted up for now. After a lot of troubleshooting and leaking carbs, the 32 PBIC's is running nice. The summer of 2009 the Abarth carb kit took me and the zwitter for a roundtrip from Norway to Germany covering over 1100 Km. I have about 2500 km on the kit now, and it's running quite nice. I have confirmed that it's definately made for a 25 Hp engine, and given the parts used, it's most likely produced sometime around 1952 by Carlo Abarth in Italy. My next plans involve restoring the fuel line to the exact look of the original. The hose itself is the same as used on Ferraris from the early fifties. I have found a repro line at $10 per inch. Oh well, I only need a little over one meter... (Glad I'm into Volkswagens and not Italian sportcars). I will also try to make an exact copy of the original linkage when I get the time.

More pictures of the carburator kit and car can be found here (1952 zwitter): Vau-Max article

paulski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool find, and very nice car too.

Have you noticed much of an increase in power since fitting the kit?
Boonies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find more information on Knechten's car here.
loor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, nice pics!
can you even read the text?

cheers lorenz
WorkingClass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a car with the same caburator kit at "hessisch oldendorf" this year.
whas it yours ???
6V-Knechten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorkingClass wrote:
whas it yours ???

Yes, it's my car and carburator kit. I have yet to see a similar kit or pieces of one. Any information would be helpful...

If the bus in the avatar is yours, I saw it too, very cool Wink
Great blog by the way, good inspiration for my next project to be found there.
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6V-Knechten wrote:
WorkingClass wrote:
whas it yours ???

Yes, it's my car and carburator kit. I have yet to see a similar kit or pieces of one. Any information would be helpful...

i do have also one setup, carbs, manifolds, only aircleaners are missing!

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
The Vdub Hub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: I'm taking over from here Reply with quote

oval56 wrote:
6V-Knechten wrote:
WorkingClass wrote:
whas it yours ???

I was lucky enough to purchase the Abarth kit from Andrea- Thank you. So now it's up to me to find those illusive F.I.S.P.A. Torino air cleaners.
Thank you Andrea, your Abarth kit has gone to a good home and is in good hands now.
Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WorkingClass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was lucky enough to purchase the Abarth kit from Andrea- Thank you. So now it's up to me to find those illusive F.I.S.P.A. Torino air cleaners.
Thank you Andrea, your Abarth kit has gone to a good home and is in good hands now.
Mark

You beated me mark Shame on you i made an offer though ebay but apparently it helps to offer outside ebay and get it withdrawn...
good luck with it and find those torino air filters to make it a real looker Very Happy

6V-Knechten : thanks for the compliment, any plans to visit the badcamberg show Question
surfindo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorkingClass wrote:
Quote:
Mark

You beated me mark Shame on you i made an offer though ebay but apparently it helps to offer outside ebay and get it withdrawn...
good luck with it and find those torino air filters to make it a real looker Very Happy

6V-Knechten : thanks for the compliment, any plans to visit the badcamberg show Question

small world huh!!! Laughing
I saw the add on ebay as well but its gone now

Last edited by surfindo on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
The Vdub Hub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oval56 wrote:
6V-Knechten wrote:
WorkingClass wrote:
whas it yours ???

ONLY the air cleaners? Ha ha ha ha
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorkingClass wrote:
Quote:
Mark

my fault, i added it first on ebay, but i adjusted the startingday... so meantime i had it on thesamba and mark was first Smile and for sure it is in gooood hands Wink

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: