Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flatten OG tarboard, and firewall triangles?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Flatten OG tarboard, and firewall triangles? Reply with quote

Spent the last hour searching, and have a question about tarboard and firewall triangles:

1. I removed the tarboard, and was able to get it out without breaking or cracking it. However, it is far from flat and bulges out near the bottom, and is too close to the fan for comfort. Is there a way to soften the tarboard and flatten it back out?

2. The firewall has metal triangles welded to it and covered with original paint. There are nine of them, and it looks like they could be used to secure the felt strips, but did not. Anyone know of their purpose?
A wide shot of the firewall and a closeup of one triangle are below.

Paul

Triangle closeup
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look ma; Original paint!
MRRAGPICKER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not positive, but what I thought they are for (and what I did with them),
is to hold the tarboard on. I pried my out straight, then pushed the tarboard
onto them. Once the tarboard was in place, I bent the tabs over to hold it in place.
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrragpicker is correct - those triangles penetrate and fold over the tarboard, as it's pressed against the firewall.

As far as the tarboard itself is concerned, have you tried a heat gun? That should help flatten it out.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatten OG tarboard, and firewall triangles? Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
1. I removed the tarboard, and was able to get it out without breaking or cracking it. However, it is far from flat and bulges out near the bottom, and is too close to the fan for comfort. Is there a way to soften the tarboard and flatten it back out?

I didn't have good luck with this. I tried warming the panels with a heat gun, but whenever I flattened the panels they would begin to crack. Your mileage may vary.
Altema wrote:
2. The firewall has metal triangles welded to it and covered with original paint. There are nine of them, and it looks like they could be used to secure the felt strips, but did not. Anyone know of their purpose?

The metal tabs are supposed to go through the tarboard and hold them against the firewall. This insures that they won't obstruct the fan. You can see them in action here:
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatten OG tarboard, and firewall triangles? Reply with quote

dmercer wrote:
The metal tabs are supposed to go through the tarboard and hold them against the firewall. This insures that they won't obstruct the fan.

That makes sense, as there were not enough of them to hold the felt strips. I see your earlier Ghia has the triangles, but not the 12 large tabs. Did they use the triangles on early models, and long rectangular tabs on the late models? Is it normal to have both, or is my Ghia a freak of mid- production change?

Paul

PS: You have a beautiful Ghia Cool
dmercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Flatten OG tarboard, and firewall triangles? Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
I see your earlier Ghia has the triangles, but not the 12 large tabs. Did they use the triangles on early models, and long rectangular tabs on the late models? Is it normal to have both, or is my Ghia a freak of mid- production change?

At first I thought the tabs you were referring to were for holding the wiring in place, but now I see what you mean. I suppose the tabs must have come later, but I don't know when -- perhaps someone familiar with this detail will comment. Here is a (not very good) picture of the firewall without the tarboard in place -- no tabs.

Quote:
PS: You have a beautiful Ghia 8)

Thank you! It spent many years being not beautiful!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left them in the sun for 4 hours and then pressed them flat with a bit of plywood. It was about 80 degrees out at the time -- worked like a charm, no cracks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: