Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping Gear & Equipment
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: One Issue... Reply with quote

I have a little Coleman Black Cat catalytic heater in Winston's bench, and on a horrible cold and rainy day at work, I staggered back into Winston, thinking, 'Finally! I shall use this useful device to warm myself!'

And I then found out that the only lighter I had was a piezoelectric sparker, and it would NOT light a Coleman Catalytic heater. A match would have, or a lighter--I now have one of those in with the heater, but it's big. Those arguing that the kitchen matches can be hard to light are absolutely right--and I had a plastic tube of them that I realized I had NOTHING to strike against.

What's a good striking surface for an ordinary kitchen match when you don't have the box the things came out of?

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: One Issue... Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
'Finally! I shall use this useful device to warm myself!'

Laughing

msinabottle, i trust you make declarations ala winston like this all the time. that just cracked me up tonight!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strike anywhere matches do self ignite in extremes. When I was a kid we would cut open a racquet ball and stuff it full of about 50% strike anywhere matches, 50% safety matches(safety matches were cheaper IIRC, you can buy them in book-style). We would then seal the raquet ball, and when thrown hard at a wall or somesuch the matches would rub together, ignite and the whole deal would explode. Or if the seal wasn't good enough it would bust open the seal and turn into an aimless wandering rocket for a few seconds.

-Rob
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since, at the moment, I have no mechanical problems, posts like this are what make me check the samba several times a day.
buy box of matches, cut out strike strip on the side. glue the strip to the top of a band-aid box and put the matches in the band-aid box. but I prefer the long nozzle bic type lighters too.

I bet an army surplus store would have all kinds of things that would work.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're offroading, you are parked on a striking surface - the pavement. You can also use a zipper in your clothing if it's metal, or under the van will be several lightly rusted places that will do it. I put matches in film canisters and as Debbie noted, you can cut the striker pad off. That's what I do, too.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? What can I store my matches in? #Sleep
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: In Point of Fact... Reply with quote

It would have been more elegant if I had said, 'EMPLOY this useful device to warm myself.' I was COLD. Hot food helped, the Piezo worked for Winston's stove, and if it HADN'T been pouring rain, I could have gotten a twig and...

Quote:
Unless you're offroading...

In point of fact... I was. Or at least surrounded, remember the rain, by a LOT of wet mud.

They used to sell those camping matchboxes with the rough surfaces...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80964

and plastic ones with a little metal bit that never worked...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80960

Answered, yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddye wrote:
I think this is a job for Myth Busters!

hazetguy wrote:
out of curiosity, has anyone had this happen to them, or heard of this happening to anyone, simply from driving?

Call me Jamie or Adam, but yes it's happened to me, though not in my Westy.

I've always used "strike anywhere" matches when camping, simply because I like to strike them...well...anywhere. About 25 years ago I was driving my then fairly new Nissan 4x4 pickup over Elephant Hill in Canyonlands NP. (An aside: It, and most other current 4x4s are geared WAY too high for this sort of thing so even in low-range first you have to go much too fast for safe four-wheeling; thus, you bounce up and down rocky slopes. I still miss my old '61 Land Rover... now THAT had low range!).

As I bounced way-too-fast up the west side of Elephant Hill, I suddenly smelled an smoky smell coming from the back of the truck. I figured it must have been burning some rubber, though it didn't smell right and I couldn't think of anything else it could have been.

Back at the campground that evening I found the scorched box of "strike-anywhere" matches. Whatever it did, it never actually burst into flame (which was good because it was inside my Coleman stove!!!) but just smoldered and scorched the box and its contents. Not enough oxygen, I guess. I shudder to think what would have happened had they actually caught fire inside the Coleman.

I've learned my lesson. I still carry strike-anywhere matches but I carry them in a small, sealed metal box that I picked up at a surplus store soon after the incident. And I don't carry them inside a Coleman stove, either. And since it's not a Syncro, I don't bounce the Westy over jeep roads.

I had never heard of another incident like that before or since, until now.

Myth? Nope.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old pill bottle, re-label, put striker strip, matches and cotton ball to keep from moving inside.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MootPoint wrote:
ddye wrote:
I think this is a job for Myth Busters!

hazetguy wrote:
out of curiosity, has anyone had this happen to them, or heard of this happening to anyone, simply from driving?

I had never heard of another incident like that before or since, until now.

Myth? Nope.

More verification, although also not from driving. Just ask Jimmy Hall, formerly of Boy Scout Troop 754, about a camping trip back about 1963. We were hiking into the camping area and when we unpacked he found that the box of kitchen matches (of the "strike anywhere" variety) in his pack had self-ignited from the jostling it suffered on the hike and burned a lot of the pack contents until being snuffed out, presumably from the lack of oxygen.

What the scout manual advised for match waterproofing was to dip each match head in paraffin, let dry and then pack in watertight container. This would also help to prevent the self-ignition.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents began VW Bus camping in the early 1970's,
The first unit was a white 1968 Bay Westfalia.
They upgraded over the years, their last unit was a late model Fuel Injected Bay.

Anyway, going through some boxes I stumbled across the 48 Star U.S Flag the flew from our homes flagpole during the post WWII era and with it, my Dad's folding camp saw!

Clever device, I've cut a pile of wood during the years I went with them camping, both tent camping and later in the Bus.

It folds into a safe rectangular tube.
Made by Palco in Worcester Mass.

A few photos, I'll sharpen or replace the blade and it will live on as my Vanagon camp saw! Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those little saws are neat. They still sell them. I saw them at REI just recently.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Yeah, those little saws are neat. They still sell them. I saw them at REI just recently.

I have one just like that, it's called a "Sven Saw" or something similar (got it from REI a while ago). Great little saw, the teeth are fairly big and cuts wood like nothing (very, very well) - it's permanently located in my van.

Update:

15" version
http://www.rei.com/product/404040/sven-folding-saw-15

21" version
http://www.rei.com/product/404013/sven-folding-saw-21

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Gear & Equipment Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone has used one of these lightweight tables with a fabric top? In their ad they show a bottle of wine on it. Would it really support that?

Could you cooks with a propane stove on it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBYY21X/ref=asc_df_B0...4268673342
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Gear & Equipment Reply with quote

Can't answer your question about that particular table, but we have one like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Trekology-Portable-Camping-...3SVJYAJ1M2

The aluminum top is very sturdy, easy to clean, heat proof, and won't get soaked with water. It's slightly bulkier than that cloth one but I think in the long run it will last longer.
It can support a 3 gallon water container we use for washing dishes,etc, along with our stove and other junk.

I would worry that the cloth top would get soaked or absorb grease, also a propane two burner stove might be a problem.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: