Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'85 Vanagon starts then stalls... Ignition switch?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Andy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: '85 Vanagon starts then stalls... Ignition switch? Reply with quote

My Vanagon starts almost all the time, except when it doesn't. When it doesn't, it starts then immediately stalls as if the fuel pump is only running when the ignition is at "start" then cuts out when it gets back to "run".

Normally I would think it's something else, but also the "fasten seat belt" light and the buzzer come on randomly while driving as if I had just switched the key... anyone had this happen before? Very frustrating as the switch is no more than a year old and it's a European made Meyle.

Is there anything else I should look into here? Better brands of switch? Go ahead and replace the relays for the fuel pump?

Thanks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vacuum hose being off will cause it to start easily enough and then immediately stall.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas
Uncle Andy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No vacuum hoses loose or off, and if it's a fuel problem, it's so terribly intermittent as to be undetectable most of the time. I still think it's electrical.

Has anyone else had a problem with the ignition switch like this?
beachinwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar problem with my 85 weekender. It was a like a gremlin. Sometimes the starter would crank, and other times it wouldn't.

Went through all of the suggestions that were posted here and my solution turned out to be the installation of a hot start relay.

Some posts here discuss hot start relays and don't think they're necessary. In my case, it worked. Just sayin'.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2967607
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hot start relay problem is apt to be caused by old grease in the starter solenoid. Pulling the solenoid and applying new grease is pretty simple.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: