Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Westy trailer build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any interest in a Parts List for the project?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, post them up.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so here is an approximate Bill of Materials for my trailer project. I say approximate because I did cut most things to size, but some I made up on the fly and have no dimensions for. If anyone is going to build a trailer like this I’d be happy to share all that I have learned while building it. Just ask me.

1 - 40x48 trailer kit w/12” wheels – Harbor Freight
2 – Locksets w/matching key – mcmaster.com
17’ – Brown Self Stick Weather Stripping – mcmaster.com
2 – 4’ Piano Hinges – mcmaster.com
4 – push to latch latches for the doors – mcmaster.com
3 – 4x8 sheets of ½” CDX Plywood – Home Depot
8 – 2x3x8 studs – Home Depot
1 – box of ½” Deck Screws – Home Depot
1 – box of 3” Deck Screws – Home Depot
1 – Minwax High Gloss Polyurethane – Home Depot
1 – Minwax Golden Oak Stain – Home Depot
6 – Rattle Cans of Primer – Home Depot
1- Wood Putty – Ace Hardware
1 – Gallon of Bondo – Wallymart (The wood putty is so much easier to use!)
4 – VW Rabbit Starter Bolts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where's the finished pictures?!? Laughing
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first page of the thread has all of my pics. I still need to do some more sanding (!) and have it painted Nevada Beighe to match my Westy.

Going camping this weekend so I'll get to try her out though! Smile

PDXWesty wrote:
So where's the finished pictures?!? Laughing
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: trailers Reply with quote

Ok..I like it...but it's missing something.

I know! It needs its own self supported EZY awning from BD so you can head for shelter when it's crappy to cook! If you can't afford that I have a bunch of abs pipe leftover from a tarpology project my wife quickly squashed a few years back. An abs frame and a nice blue or orange tarp and its a four season cook station!

I still don't understand what she didn't like....

hehe...cool trailer.

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
SyncroGiraffe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see a few pics of the finished product, specifically the latches and weather stripping you used for the doors. I've just started a nearly identical build for my own trailer, and would like to see how you did these things. Any helpful tips that you discovered along the way would also be appreciated!!

Hoping to add a bike rack on top of my trailer, but otherwise it should look very similar to yours once it is finished.
Thanks!
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work... any idea how much it weighs empty? (sorry if that's been posted... I missed it). Also, are you going to have chain or some sort of support for the doors? I see you've got a support to ground in the test-drive-with-the-stove pic, but on uneven ground that may be kind of a nuisance. It might be nice to have something that can compensate for side to side leveling so your eggs don't all drift to one side of the pan. Fore and aft tilt could be accomplished with a trailer jack on the tongue.

Paul
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post up the P/N's I used for everything, not to worry. I still need to do a bit more sanding then buy the paint. It will be a few weeks though. I'll keep this thread going....

SyncroGiraffe wrote:
Would love to see a few pics of the finished product, specifically the latches and weather stripping you used for the doors. I've just started a nearly identical build for my own trailer, and would like to see how you did these things. Any helpful tips that you discovered along the way would also be appreciated!!

Hoping to add a bike rack on top of my trailer, but otherwise it should look very similar to yours once it is finished.
Thanks!
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much it weighs, but I can easily pull it around the driveway. I still need to source some lanyards or something for the doors...

I have a 15" high log that supports the tongue of the trailer. LOL.

Volksaholic wrote:
Nice work... any idea how much it weighs empty? (sorry if that's been posted... I missed it). Also, are you going to have chain or some sort of support for the doors? I see you've got a support to ground in the test-drive-with-the-stove pic, but on uneven ground that may be kind of a nuisance. It might be nice to have something that can compensate for side to side leveling so your eggs don't all drift to one side of the pan. Fore and aft tilt could be accomplished with a trailer jack on the tongue.

Paul
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the mcmaster.com part numbers as promised!

93705K34 – Foam Rubber Seal, 7/32”, Brown - 17 Feet

159A235 - Steel Piano Hinge w/Holes, .060” Thick, - Two 4’ Lengths

10825A26 – Push-to-open Grab Latch, Brown - 4

1770A558 – Cam Lock – 2

I did make some mistakes while assembling this rig. Like when I put on the first door I attached the Piano Hinge to the door, then the Hinge to the Frame of the trailer. Well ½” plywood warps easily so I had to force the hinge to attach to the frame as it was bowed. For the other side I attached the hinge to the frame first then screwed the door to the hinge and that side works very well. Live and learn! I also didn’t take into account the thickness of the gasket before attaching the doors. I should have applied the gasket first. So I did notice a small leak when I left the rig out in a pretty bad rain.

The push to grab latches are really cool! They are like the ones used on some cabinets where you push the door in while closed and it latches. Push it again and it will release. I didn’t feel that 2 per door would hold it a freeway speeds though and also installed one key lock per door.
SyncroGiraffe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and tips unibagel!! This should definitely help me out with my build. Would love to see a picture of how you did the gasket around the doors if you get a chance. Either way I'm hopeful my trailer will turn out as nice as yours!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well ½” plywood warps easily so I had to force the hinge to attach to the frame as it was bowed.

I wonder if marine plywood or some other material would be better to reduce the warping. I'm sure the cost would go up but so would the fit and finish of the end product.
I am just talking out loud since I like the idea.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words SyncroGiraffe!

I will end up cutting new doors for that side and liquid nailing a smaller smaller section righ on the inside to help resist warping in the future...
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was standing in harbor freight looking at the trailers yesterday thinking to myself. Hmm....
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great project!

Marine ply is one answer. But will increase your materials costs by 10x.

Another "poor-mans" method is to liberally apply epoxy resins to front back and each edge of any ply panel. (I'd likely do this with marine-ply too.. resulting in even MORE cost)

I use penetrating epoxy for applications like this.. It soaks in well.. 2 coats.. and after a good cure.. a light sand and you can apply a good primer, over which any paint can be used.

Soo. its either good money for good wood.. or good money for epoxy resins and a lot more man hours.

That said.. I've used non-marine ply thoroughly soaked in epoxy resins for several marine applications and while the non-marine ply looks ugly.. As long as it is not submerged in water, wide variations of temps.. or exposed to UV.. it holds up OK.

Frankly.. on a build like this.. I'd go with cheap materials, first.. Use the trailer a few seasons.. make notes as to how the design can be improved and then build your "perfect" trailer out of better materials with everything you've learned.

I'm leaning towarda teardrops... Very Happy
It never ends.. that project list.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Thanks for the input, I knew someone would know the answer. Wink
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most exterior-grade plywoods use pretty decent weather-roof glues these days.. Where they suffer is the quality of the actual wood used. Looser/bigger grain wood, thicker plys, and lots of voids.

That invites water/moisture penetration.. which varying temps can exacerbate.. i.e. a wet pocket with heat applied will cause expansion and begin breaking down the wood structure... warping, cracking, splintering, delam etc.

Marine plys tend to be higher ply-count.. more glue, less wood
Made of tighter grained wood with more thorough gluing.. creates the cost factor. Marine plys tend to have a nice exterior ply vaneer as well.. making them more pleasant to the eye.

Working with marine ply is nice, too. Fewer tear outs.. cuts cleanly.
Of course a newer blade does wonders, as well.

Costs are similar to cabinet-grade plywoods.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
SyncroGiraffe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting pretty far along with my trailer build, so far things are looking really good. Will post some pictures soon. Still hoping to see some close up pics of how the doors close and most importantly how they seal (ie weatherstripping). Definitely getting excited for the completed project!
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I was standing in harbor freight looking at the trailers yesterday thinking to myself. Hmm....

Then you may find this intriguing:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/61389-Harbor-Freight-40x48-Spectacular-Mediocrity

Robyn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: